Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Parking brake???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine works good. When I pull it down you have to use a little force, it's tight. It works, because sometimes I forget to release it. Then I remember.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My parking brake and cables are on a shelf in my garage. Been that way for four years now. Use $3 Velcro strap if and when needed. Looks better and no messing with adjustments, plus the pads last longer.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAP
My parking brake and cables are on a shelf in my garage. Been that way for four years now. Use $3 Velcro strap if and when needed. Looks better and no messing with adjustments, plus the pads last longer.
Same here

Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

..I have had my 09 for seven years now !!!!....the only shortcoming with this thing is the parking brake....I have adjusted it three times....does not last long......SO.......about two or three years ago...I removed the entire system........don't have to adjust it if it aint there.....one thing to remember....before we had three wheeler motorcycles....we had no parking brakes...........but I do remember the servicars from the sixties had a good parking brake on the right handlebar.......anybody remember that.....

Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
...before we had three wheeler motorcycles....we had no parking brakes...........but I do remember the servicars from the sixties had a good parking brake on the right handlebar.......anybody remember that.....
Bikes can't roll.. If they do fall off the kick/sissy stand they will drop right there ' and sometimes on the riders leg... Three wheelers will just roll away into the sunset till they hit an unmovable object...

Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

So, is it a big job to remove the parking brake assembly? And does the state inspection station have a problem with it being removed?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:47 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
So, is it a big job to remove the parking brake assembly? And does the state inspection station have a problem with it being removed?
It isn't very hard to remove the pieces and parts, I can't speak for the inspection since my state has none for bikes and trikes.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

When I stopped taking Big Blue to HD for service and started doing it myself, I was amazed that only the right side (closest to the handle) caliper bolt for the e-brake was adjusted anywhere close to the back side of the caliper. Left side was waaaay out compared to the right. Since adjusting both sides by the shop manual, it works fine. As for premature pad wear, that's another story. Like someone else mentioned, I've had mine roll a few feet in first gear too. I didn't like that a bit. Luckily, it's flatter than Kansas here in the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:43 AM
RecycledTeen
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I adjusted mine one, then no workee....left it alone and utilize a velcro strap, seems like the best method to me!

The following users liked this post:
dw2169 (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:15 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2016 works properly when the f*^"=%g return spring is there. At delivery I was told and demonstrated a few times how to engage and disengage the parking brake, dash light and all. Sales associate showed me to step on it to engage, click, click. Then he insisted that if I don't abruptly disengage, the brake would still be on, light on dash on bike won't move. However when you slide your foot off the brake pedal like dumping the clutch it disengages fine. I learned how to do it before I got out of the dealership when I engaged it and forgot! Return spring quit working and was replaced under warranty and second one is gone now. I guess I am going to have to figure out a way to keep it in there. Mine works when its all there.

Quick Reply: Parking brake???