Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Security

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

When we first started touring, I would get up during the night and check on bike....then it hit me, that's what I have insurance for, duh!
Now I lock the forks, put a disc lock on, half cover and sleep like a baby! If a thief wants it they'll get it. Just keep the theft of opportunity away.
I've seen guys leave a GPS attached and still have it in the morning, not that I would do that....
Lock it up and try not to worry

The following users liked this post:
ROXRACIN (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by graygoat
Ignition & fork locked, disk lock on front brake, generic cover and park as close to front door as the clerk will let me.
Also good insurance.

Ride safe & enjoy your trip!

X2, except I don't generally take my cover with me. I have had my disk lock/alarm for probably close to 10 years and it still looks brand new and works great.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

along with everything above, if you are at a motel you can run a piece of fishing line from the bike to inside the room and attach a fishing bell to it. someone moves the bike the bell will ring. one things for sure as these trikes become more popular along with the baby boomers getting older, these trikes are going to come up missing more and more. oh yea, keep your gun handy.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

HD cover with alarm, parked close to hotel area where room is but not so close it will pick up my FOB. 45, and 9 are always with me. I am not saying I would shoot if someone is steeling my trike, it is a machine and taking a life for it is not my style. That is what insurance is for. I may confront them! Then....
Don't think I wouldn't shoot to kill if my life were at stake.
If you look back at last year forum https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ry-weaver.html
http://www.kait8.com/story/32328813/sik
Sad story and I still think of it every trip we take. Our prayers are still with his family.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I park wherever is convenient, clean off the bugs, fork lock it, disc lock and forget about it for the night. I've been in a few seedy neighborhoods and never lost a minutes sleep, that's what I have insurance for.
This ! And, remember to lock the tour pack and trunk !

Old 10-12-2016, 03:44 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

remember to cap the lousy bastard that's trying to steal your ****. wouldn't faze me at all. to all the thieves out there, go ahead and take your chances if you feel lucky.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

It goes without saying, always have " Rosco" with ya....

Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
remember to cap the lousy bastard that's trying to steal your ****. wouldn't faze me at all. to all the thieves out there, go ahead and take your chances if you feel lucky.
Are you going to provide the legal defense fund ? If it happens in a parking lot and the perp isn't armed nor threatens you, you are not protected under either the castle law or, a state's "stand your ground" statue. Even with a number of years under my belt in law enforcement, certified concealed carry, the last thing I want to deal with on vacation is the paperwork etc, entailed in proving self defense. It's not worth it. The cost of hiring a criminal defense attorney is astronomical.

The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (10-15-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Are you going to provide the legal defense fund ? If it happens in a parking lot and the perp isn't armed nor threatens you, you are not protected under either the castle law or, a state's "stand your ground" statue. Even with a number of years under my belt in law enforcement, certified concealed carry, the last thing I want to deal with on vacation is the paperwork etc, entailed in proving self defense. It's not worth it. The cost of hiring a criminal defense attorney is astronomical.
Couldn't agree more, getting locked up would sure screw up one's life and vacation. Before I would even pull my gun, it would have to be a sure thing they meant me bodily harm. I've had a couple close calls where I thought I might, but it all worked out. One was a guy who hit my car at a light. He thought I was at fault, he started getting real aggressive and I had my family with me. I would have gotten back in my car and drove away before pulling my concealed gun, fortunately a trouper showed up before I had to make that choice.

It's pretty easy to sit behind a keyboard and talk about shooting someone, quite another thing to actually do it and deal with the ramifications of doing it. To me a bike, trike, truck or car. Is just some possession, non of them are worth ruining my life and the lives of others. I have insurance, sure I'll be pissed if it gets taken, but I'll survive. IMO, if I have to go through a bunch of BS to secure my bike or trike and worry about it while on vacation, I'll take my damn truck and leave the trike behind. I'm on vacation, not a loose sleep and worry about it mission.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Exactly. The moment I took my first kill in the corps is burned into my mind forever. It still replays periodically. That was way back in the early '60s ............

Quick Reply: Trike Security