Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Oil Filter Relocation Notice

Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Exclamation Oil Filter Relocation Notice

This is not intended in any way to be critical of the DK Custom Oil Cooler/Filter Relocation package. As usual, it appears to be well made and typical of DK products. I ordered this package about two weeks ago and due to various reasons beyond my control, I just got around to installing it a few days ago. It is a tight fit working in the tight space between the cooler and the filter adapter, but slow and steady gets it done. I installed this kit using the "Black Braided" oil line and the nicer Black Finishers.

I started with the line from the out on the adapter to the "in" on the filter mount. I ran it like a lot of others have done using pictures and ideas from others that have done this. I got all the lines run and hooked everything up front first. I decided to use the "regular" black clamps up front because they were easier to deal with and are pretty well hid from sight. Also, this braided black line is very stiff due to the tightness of the braid on it. Even with lubricant on it, it was very hard to slide it on all the way up front on the filter adapter.

Now, this is the reason for this post. *****IF YOU ARE GOING TO ORDER AND USE THE "BLACK BRAIDED" OIL LINE*********MAKE DANG SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING THAT WILL CLEANLY CUT THIS STUFF.*****

Needless to say, it is strong and well built. It is steel reinforced with a very nice tight braided cloth cover. I tried everything I had in the way of cutters, heavy duty scissors etc. I ended up having to use my dremel with the small round cutting wheels. This worked fairly well but it was hard to cut straight and even. Also, the finishers, when you try to push them up on the end of the hoses (I did use two of these at the back on the filter adapter), the part of the clamp that is inside wants to catch on the steel wires and the cloth braiding. This causes them to "bunch up" and keeps them from sealing.

Again, this is just my experience with the black braided oil line. Some of you may not have any trouble with it. However, be warned.....you need something that is made to cut this stuff. I now have one of the two rear lines that is too short to use after trying to cut it twice and get it to seal. I will start tomorrow pulling all the lines off and using the regular old rubber oil line that comes in the original package.

As I stated earlier, this appears to be a typically well built DK product. However, the black braided line is hard to work with, or at least it was for me. I am sure some of you have had better luck with it than I did.

Last edited by so60; 10-12-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Old 10-12-2016, 12:51 PM
so60
Club Member
Default Yep, that would work!

Hey golfblues......YEP, I bet that would do it!

Old 10-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

ys use tape where I cut steel braid to keep it from coming apart. fearless

Old 10-12-2016, 02:14 PM
so60
Club Member
Default Hello

Hey fearless. I did tape it before I tried to cut it. None of my big wire cutters would cut it. I even tried a pair of limb cutter type "loppers" as some people call them. They just crushed the tubing and didn't cut it. I used tape with the dremel tool also and the tape does what it is suppose to do, but it was very hard to cut it straight with no more play left in the tubing to get it out farther away from the bike.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default I did use a cut off wheel

forget to add use of cut off wheel thin one on a hand held grinder tuff stuff to cut. sorry for the confusion. Fearless

Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by so60
Hey golfblues......YEP, I bet that would do it!

Fortunately I have one around to cut golf shafts.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Fortunately I have one around to cut golf shafts.
Hey, I need my irons reshafted .....buddy

Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Casper
Hey, I need my irons reshafted .....buddy
True temper XP'S. My favorite. The XP 95 fits my swing. I hit a 7 iron around 155-160. Stiff soft stepped twice, schweeeeeet!

Old 10-12-2016, 11:53 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The braided lines are a pain. I have experience from working on aircraft which uses braided lines. I used a hand held hacksaw. I taped the area and used two line hose clamps. I slipped the clamps to the area to be cut, clamped them down and then held the line while I cut with a hack saw. Slow easy strokes will cut the steel wrap and the clamps keep everything from getting out of place and the clamps act as a guide. Hopes this helps. Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by desertclassic:
boston jim (04-21-2017), Ultra 2008 (10-31-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Relocation Notice