Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fender reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:40 AM
Triglide16
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Make light of it smart ***. It can happen in this day and age of litigation. Nothing scares the carp out of me worse than some dumb *** riding a bicycle at night wearing dark clothing and no reflective gear at all. I see it all the time here in TX and other states I travel in. Your fault or not, that would ruin a vacation fast. Aside from the damage to one's scoot, what about your own injuries or those of your passenger ? If it should end up being a fatality accident, the paperwork is monumental. Then the lawsuits will start. Ultimately, you life will change forever.
Smart *** here ...seriously after looking up reflector mandates I discovered the reflectors on bicycles are also mandated. I was thinking , how many people as kids took those reflectors off their bikes? I personally have sought out more reflective devices so I can be seen , I would only hope I will never be in a fatal accident.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:55 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

I will retract my initial comment. At least you looked it up. Ironically, early bikes back in the 50 and 60's only had a reflector under the seat and one on the front facing forward. It has been only of late when the sport became popular that they have been integrated into the wheels. I am still scratching my head as to why grown people would knowingly defeat a safety device that could possibly save their life. Having been a first responder to a number of bicycle vs car/motorcycle accidents is why I had the reaction I did. I believe the worst was the one that involved a bicycle, motorcycle and, a car. On a blind curve at night, county road just outside the city limits. Mc hit the bicycle, then goes across into the opposite lane and strikes the car traveling in the other direction. That one will be with me to my grave.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Ok I didn't want to start a fussing contest....
On the TG, the rear trunk has lights visible to the side so I'm comfortable with that. And yes I would have to have power on to be working. But if I'm sitting on the side of the road, without power, at night rest assured I'll have my very good flashlight out along with my HD reflective vest on...and I doubt I'll be sitting sideways for the reflectors to be effective.
As for litigation, I'm not telling about the reflectors and if asked I'll do what Hilery, our US Attorney and all the other crooks did and pled the fifth ( that's a joke )

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 06:59 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

I always park on an angle when able to. Force of habit.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I think the lady that T-boned me last January aimed for it. Busted it right off. Got $8 from her insurance to replace it along with $ for the fender of course. And a helmet, engine guard, labor, pain and suffering. On the watchout for her to get the other side now.

The following 2 users liked this post by lh4x4:
Casper (11-11-2016), Fearless (old nickname) (11-11-2016)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Triglide16
Intermediate

I will retract my initial comment. At least you looked it up. Ironically, early bikes back in the 50 and 60's only had a reflector under the seat and one on the front facing forward. It has been only of late when the sport became popular that they have been integrated into the wheels. I am still scratching my head as to why grown people would knowingly defeat a safety device that could possibly save their life. Having been a first responder to a number of bicycle vs car/motorcycle accidents is why I had the reaction I did. I believe the worst was the one that involved a bicycle, motorcycle and, a car. On a blind curve at night, county road just outside the city limits. Mc hit the bicycle, then goes across into the opposite lane and strikes the car traveling in the other direction. That one will be with me to my grave.
I've been a first responder many times just so you know !!! I've seen what you've seen and been there and back. Just wanted you to know that.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:00 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

I sure hope the therapy they have now is better than when I was so many years ago. Sadly, I still have issues at times with the closeness of oncoming traffic on a two lane if the other vehicle drifts towards the center line.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Triglide16
Intermediate

I sure hope the therapy they have now is better than when I was so many years ago. Sadly, I still have issues at times with the closeness of oncoming traffic on a two lane if the other vehicle drifts towards the center line.
no the therapy is not any better it's unsaid but not talked about...as far as traffic that has it's own issues but nothing to do with being a first responder for me. That's a whole other conversation that has nothing to do with any dam reflector.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

This be true.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Y'all don't have an annual inspection like we do in TX. They can actually flunk the bike here for not having them.
I don't think so.

From: https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/ins...nCriteria.aspx

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

Items of Inspection for a Motorcycle and Motor-Driven Cycle

05.07 Inspect Every Motorcycle and Motor-Driven Cycle For: (listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Mirror
3. Steering
4. Brakes (system)
5. Tires
6. Wheel Assembly
7. Exhaust System
8. Tail Lamp (1)
9. Stop Lamp (1)
10. License Plate Lamp
11. Rear Red Reflector (1)
12. Head Lamp (1)
13. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number

Definitions:

Motorcycle: Every motor vehicle having a saddle for the use of the rider and designed to propel itself with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but excluding a tractor.

Quick Reply: Fender reflectors