Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Back fusion(L4-L5)/Riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Triglide16
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back fusion(L4-L5)/Riding

I'm sure someone out there has had a back fusion and was eager to ride. My question is how long before I can ride without messing anything up? I don't want to ask doctor probably would say a year, not what I want to hear lol.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I never had a fusion but I crushed two vertebrae when I was 18. Just don't push it if it starts to hurt. Stick with pt no matter now bad it is and you'll be riding with no problem. Staying in shape is very important and pineapple and tart cherry juice will help with inflamation after a rough day out. When I was contemplating a fusion I think it was 6-8 months. I think I waited 4 months after my hip surgery because holding up the bike was tough. I wish you the best and we are here if you need anything.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:47 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife has 10 1/2 inches of fusion in her upper back. It was about 18 months before she felt comfortable enough to ride on the back of the bike after the surgery. Five years later, she had the Harrington Rods removed because one of them broke. Two years later, she took a rider course and got her license.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:05 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a L4/L5 fusion in 1991. I was back to work 3 months later, and pretty much doing what I wanted within 6 months. That is a pretty serious incision and takes time to heal. I did not miss a therapy session and to me that was the key. I know my limits since the surgery. Staying active has been good for me. Hope all works well. Jim

Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I can only speak from my experience with spinal fusion and getting back to what we do. I am fused at; L3, L-4, L-5 and S-1. I have lived a very active hard on your back lifestyle having just retired from 28 years of public service. Running in burning buildings, crawling around ditches at 02:00 and just picking up too many people that weighed a lot more than me took it's toll. As desertclassic has said; "I did not miss a therapy session" and doing exactly as instructed by the surgeon is the key to the fastest recovery. If you smoke DON'T! At least for the time instructed. The nicotine will or can interfere with the bone fusion. I was back to work in the office in 90 days, back to picking up people again, hunting with a high powered rifle, and riding a motorcycle in span of one year, two years before he would let me get back to breaking a horse...or them me is the issue there! At one year the x-ray's showed good fusion taking place and I was told to lift all I wanted my body would tell me if it was more than I could do and he was right! I always use caution with my back but have found that my muscles let me know long before my back itself. Advil is my friend! I do get muscle aches when I over do it but no more pain down my leg or any of that stuff. You can do it, don't think you are done ridding or doing anything you want.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Triglide16
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks everyone !

Well brother your life sounds familiar, I just havent had as many fused yet. A few years to go of public service .I understand it sounds like three months to a year. Thank you. QUOTE=medicmike;15613735]I can only speak from my experience with spinal fusion and getting back to what we do. I am fused at; L3, L-4, L-5 and S-1. I have lived a very active hard on your back lifestyle having just retired from 28 years of public service. Running in burning buildings, crawling around ditches at 02:00 and just picking up too many people that weighed a lot more than me took it's toll. As desertclassic has said; "I did not miss a therapy session" and doing exactly as instructed by the surgeon is the key to the fastest recovery. If you smoke DON'T! At least for the time instructed. The nicotine will or can interfere with the bone fusion. I was back to work in the office in 90 days, back to picking up people again, hunting with a high powered rifle, and riding a motorcycle in span of one year, two years before he would let me get back to breaking a horse...or them me is the issue there! At one year the x-ray's showed good fusion taking place and I was told to lift all I wanted my body would tell me if it was more than I could do and he was right! I always use caution with my back but have found that my muscles let me know long before my back itself. Advil is my friend! I do get muscle aches when I over do it but no more pain down my leg or any of that stuff. You can do it, don't think you are done ridding or doing anything you want.[/QUOTE]
t

Old 10-21-2016, 06:38 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm taking cortisone shots for a bulging disk and pinched nerves. I'll be getting surgery in January. My Doctor suggested the date so I could recover during the worst riding time... she rides. She said limited jarring, or stair climbing for about 6 weeks. She said she was not sure about trikes, I was her first. BUT it is completely dependent on you physically and mentally. I had open heart surgery where they took my heart out of my chest and replaced the Aorta Valve while on a heart/lung machine. I was out of surgery 3 days when they let me go home.

Good Luck