Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

starting in gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

I just yank on the rope until it starts,....woops that's the lawn mower.
Ride safe

Old 10-29-2016, 07:56 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
you can start them in gear if you pull the clutch in and apply the brakes. that's the only way it will start in gear. the part about stepping on the brakes is what i don't like. i was moving and had to put the brakes on in order to get the thing started to keep from getting run down. hd protecting oursleves from oursleves ? this feature will get you killed.
Nope, not H-D. Federal Mandate .............. Ever notice even a car or pick up requires a foot on the brake to start it now days ?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:57 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaffeekid
I just yank on the rope until it starts,....woops that's the lawn mower.
Ride safe
Time for one with an electric start ............

Old 05-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Ghostwalker
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
does anyone else find it a pain in the *** or even dangerous when you have to step on the brake to start your bike in gear ? my bike died going though an intersection and i was in second gear and it just died( don't know why, but it did). i was moving and pulled the clutch in and hit the button, nothing ,had to hit the brakes to get it started which slowed eveyone down. a guy could get runover having to fool with this sillyness. my question is , is there a way of getting around this on these trikes ? don't like it and don't want it like this. THANKS ALL !

I agree, this is a safety hazard. Have a 2020 Tri Glide Ultra and have to either have it in Neutral or apply the brakes and the clutch to start in gear. This is dangerous in any situation if it stalls in an intersection. I contacted Harley Davidson and was told "it is designed that way and working as it is supposed to. When I told him this was a dangerous design flaw, he said he would forward my complaint, but that most likely nothing would be done about it.
My next phone call was to the NHTSA Vehicle Safety at (888) 327-4236 and recommend you all do the same. Based on my discussion with the gentleman that I talked with, he agreed that this is a safety issue and that it would merit an investigation if there are enough complaints.

The following users liked this post:
GrampT (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:24 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
I agree, this is a safety hazard. Have a 2020 Tri Glide Ultra and have to either have it in Neutral or apply the brakes and the clutch to start in gear. This is dangerous in any situation if it stalls in an intersection. I contacted Harley Davidson and was told "it is designed that way and working as it is supposed to. When I told him this was a dangerous design flaw, he said he would forward my complaint, but that most likely nothing would be done about it.
My next phone call was to the NHTSA Vehicle Safety at (888) 327-4236 and recommend you all do the same. Based on my discussion with the gentleman that I talked with, he agreed that this is a safety issue and that it would merit an investigation if there are enough complaints.
As has been discussed on these forums multi times,,, Pull in the clutch and depress the brake slightly. Just enough to turn on the brake light and hit the start. The motion doesn't have to stop. I don't think it makes a difference which brake you use. I could be wrong on that. But you don't have to find neutral. I like mine, as all I have to do is pull in the clutch and hit the start. But I still need to be sure it is in the proper gear, which is the problem in most of the time.

I agree it is a blunder on MOCO's part, but they haven't changed it. Also how many accidents has it caused. If it hasn't caused any accidents there isn't much to stand on other than something could happen. What they will counter with is the safety factor of running into something if you start in gear without the brake applied. Which has happened.

If someone has caused an accident, sure they do need to contribute to the knowledge base.

Last edited by sloufoot; 05-21-2021 at 04:46 AM.
Casper (05-30-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:37 AM
Ghostwalker
Stage III

Originally Posted by sloufoot
As has been discussed on these forums multi times,,, Pull in the clutch and depress the brake slightly. Just enough to turn on the brake light and hit the start. The motion doesn't have to stop. I don't think it makes a difference which brake you use. I could be wrong on that. But you don't have to find neutral.

I agree it is a blunder on MOCO's part, but they haven't changed it. Also how many accidents has it caused. If it hasn't caused any accidents there isn't much to stand on other than something could happen. What they will counter with is the safety factor of running into something if you start in gear without the brake applied. Which has happened.

My point is that it should be set up the same as any of the 2 wheelers. If it's in gear, you have to pull the clutch to engage the starter and if it's in neutral, then you just have to push the starter. I don't have to apply the brakes on any of my 2 wheelers to get them to start.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
My point is that it should be set up the same as any of the 2 wheelers. If it's in gear, you have to pull the clutch to engage the starter and if it's in neutral, then you just have to push the starter. I don't have to apply the brakes on any of my 2 wheelers to get them to start.
What year are your 2 wheelers ?

Last edited by sloufoot; 05-21-2021 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:00 AM
Ghostwalker
Stage III

Originally Posted by sloufoot
What year are your 2 wheelers ?
I have a 2020 Softail Lowrider and a 2020 Roadglide.

sloufoot (05-21-2021)