Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How many ride the Tri-glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 10:33 AM
rwhgme
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hey Chamokie,

You know we do.

After 9 broken bones in my right foot, couldn't hold up a bagger. Sure glad we got one, you saw how well they handle the twisties!
One of these days, Kevin, Carolyn and I are coming down to your neck of the woods! I want to ride behind you to see if I can keep up in the twisties with you!!

The following users liked this post:
wijr1949 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:35 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by lah2420
After no bike for 30 years, the wife said that she would ride with me if I got a trike. Who am I to deny her wishes? I'm 58, no health issues to force me to a trike, and no reason other than my first statement. I do not regret the choice and feel sorry for those on two wheels who let their bias cloud what could be a great move.
Sort of my story too. Except the bashing of the two wheelers.

After 30 years of not riding, I didn't want to wait so long to be able to ride 2 up.
I miss 2 wheeling occasionally, and then just rent one for a weekend. The TG takes some muscle when riding twisties. That seems to be the limiting factor on speed in the twusties. Oh yeah, we all make mistakes, and in general the TG is a little more forgiving, such as...going into a corner a bit to hot, and being able to brake in the turn somewhat...getting on the gas too early coming out of a turn in slippery conditions. I've had the rear slide out a bit, and on a 2 wheeler that may have been a low side,

Old 12-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Backdraft161
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been riding trikes since 1997. I can enjoy the added freedom it allows me to ride. Do I miss the lean on 2 wheels? Some times but the pros out weight the cons. Pro: ride more relaxed, do not have to put feet down at stops, more stable ride, in rain and wind, can ride just as fast as a two wheeler. Do not have to worry about passenger shifting around.
Cons: can not lean as much. Drive instead of steer.
Of course it is not for everyone. But if you ever try it you will love it!

Bigiron (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhgme
One of these days, Kevin, Carolyn and I are coming down to your neck of the woods! I want to ride behind you to see if I can keep up in the twisties with you!!
That would be a blast! Anytime!

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sort of my story too. Except the bashing of the two wheelers.

After 30 years of not riding, I didn't want to wait so long to be able to ride 2 up.
I miss 2 wheeling occasionally, and then just rent one for a weekend. The TG takes some muscle when riding twisties. That seems to be the limiting factor on speed in the twusties. Oh yeah, we all make mistakes, and in general the TG is a little more forgiving, such as...going into a corner a bit to hot, and being able to brake in the turn somewhat...getting on the gas too early coming out of a turn in slippery conditions. I've had the rear slide out a bit, and on a 2 wheeler that may have been a low side,
Getting a bit wider than stock handlebars, and/or a Comfort Lift will make steering much easier! With them, the limiting factor in the twisties becomes judgement of how much to twist the wrist...see vid below.

Originally Posted by Backdraft161
I have been riding trikes since 1997. I can enjoy the added freedom it allows me to ride. Do I miss the lean on 2 wheels? Some times but the pros out weight the cons. Pro: ride more relaxed, do not have to put feet down at stops, more stable ride, in rain and wind, can ride just as fast as a two wheeler. Do not have to worry about passenger shifting around.
Cons: can not lean as much. Drive instead of steer.
Of course it is not for everyone. But if you ever try it you will love it!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-18-2016, 12:27 PM
rchays57
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend of mine asked me why didn't I buy a bike and ride with him. Lots of scenic areas around her to see. I said there are too many crazies out on the road and had never ridden on the street. I had ridden dirt bike for a long time but not on the street. Would never put my wife on the back of a bike because she fidgets when she sits. Rode snowmobile 2up and while a very stable machine she could move around enough to make it interesting in the control department.
Well then why not a trike he said. Looked promising and stable and we needed an excuse to get out together in the summer. Long story short, sold my project 57 nomad and bought the triglide. Didn't even test drive it, just bought it. Rode it home from the dealership with no problem. It rides and steers exactly like a snowmobile I found out. Yes you steer it not lean it. Want to go fast you can lean your body or even hang your butt out. We love it. Lots of mods to it but now it is almost perfect for me er us, wink wink. 14000 miles in two summers and still lovin it.

Bigiron (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:00 PM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My reasons are the same as a lot of the other folks.
Neuropathy in the feet and legs from Agent Orange exposure, muscle weakness from Myasthenia Gravis (again from AO exposure).
Legs just too weak to hold up a bagger.
I took a ride with a friend in Vancouver, WA on his trike and I was hooked.
Got back to Texas and found exactly what I wanted for a great price.
I've put 10,000 miles on it the past year.
Like Kevin at DK Custom products says, it's a blast in the twisties.
We rode the "Three Twisted Sisters" in the Texas Hill Country and it was a blast !!!

Old 12-18-2016, 07:34 PM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Health issues didn't play into the decision to go to 3. My bride and I did a trike tour on Aruba a few years back and the seed was planted! The trikes were manufactured by Rewaco and we had a blast tooling around the island. No "pucker factor" on clay or gravel roads and just overall a more enjoyable ride. Most of my riding is done with 2 up and we just find it much more relaxing on 3. Like most of life's decisions, this one was made for us and not what other people think...
Don't be afraid to try something new - you might like it!!

Cheers
Doug

The following 3 users liked this post by 8Crow:
Casper (12-18-2016), ISP-FLHTK (12-19-2016), wijr1949 (12-25-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:36 PM
lah2420
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry Trigeezer. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing 2 wheelers. A lot of friends ride them. I've just also run into a lot of biased comments from guys on 2 wheels who have never tried three. No bashing intended.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

When ask by a biker' why a Trike? I ask back' How many miles do you ride from Dec to March? I can and do ride just about every day....

Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, it was get a Trike or quit riding. A 2017 Triglide now sits in my garage waiting for me to recover from a left hip replacement. Life is good.

Quick Reply: How many ride the Tri-glide