Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

slip on baffles

Old 12-23-2016, 01:02 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Question slip on baffles

What are the pros and cons of changing baffle size ? Any size preferred or better than others ? Thanks

Old 12-24-2016, 08:02 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
What are the pros and cons of changing baffle size ? Any size preferred or better than others ? Thanks
For a pretty much stock engine I wouldn't get any larger than 2.25, the larger the baffle the more the torque will shift to the right.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer

Thanks msocko , I'm pretty much stock and I'm thinking about going to 1 3/4" baffle from a 2". Reason being , I have a problem with harmonics or resonance when wearing a helmet . Can't hear **** after an extended ride , like a pressure or stuffy ear . ? Thinking a bigger baffle is louder , smaller may be better ! Ebert

Old 12-26-2016, 04:14 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks msocko , I'm pretty much stock and I'm thinking about going to 1 3/4" baffle from a 2". Reason being , I have a problem with harmonics or resonance when wearing a helmet . Can't hear **** after an extended ride , like a pressure or stuffy ear . ? Thinking a bigger baffle is louder , smaller may be better ! Ebert
I don't think they make a 1 3/4 baffle for the mufflers you have, I didn't see any mentioned on their web site. You are right, bigger is louder. If you don't mind fiddling around a bit, you could try a lollipop, old timers have been making and using them for years to help low end torque and quiet things down a touch. If you're handy it's quite easy to make your own and experiment with what works best for you for a little of your time and a couple bucks worth of hardware from Home Depot. Just do a little googling for Harley exhaust lollipop and you will find all kinds of pictures and info.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:43 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer

msocko ; I was told at the dealership where I purchased the Rush mufflers there was a 1 3/4 option , but that was three years ago, maybe not available now. I am a little handy ha ha , a retired machinist , with mill , lathe and welder and plenty of time ! I also am familiar with the lolipops , but assumed they were only used without baffles , hmmm ! thanks . Ebert

Old 12-27-2016, 02:55 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

msocko ; I was told at the dealership where I purchased the Rush mufflers there was a 1 3/4 option , but that was three years ago, maybe not available now. I am a little handy ha ha , a retired machinist , with mill , lathe and welder and plenty of time ! I also am familiar with the lolipops , but assumed they were only used without baffles , hmmm ! thanks . Ebert
You can do the lollypops either way. Just make the lollypop able to turn a bit and use it inside the baffle. Tune-able that way.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:53 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I have the rush slip-ons 11 Tri-Glide 175'S baffles, And have the Thunder-Torques with baffles [Lolly-Pops] at full on. And at 22 hundred rpm's the power comes on..With out them it didn't come on till 3 thousand +..
Cheapest and easiest to install bang for the buck that actually works....

The following users liked this post:
coronetracer65 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 06:22 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer

Originally Posted by rhino 2
I have the rush slip-ons 11 Tri-Glide 175'S baffles, And have the Thunder-Torques with baffles [Lolly-Pops] at full on. And at 22 hundred rpm's the power comes on..With out them it didn't come on till 3 thousand +..
Cheapest and easiest to install bang for the buck that actually works....
Any tips on the size of the lollipops , and did it generate any heat for the engine ?

Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Any tips on the size of the lollipops , and did it generate any heat for the engine ?
Got them from DK 3 or 4 years ago..And on heat but i do have true duels cat-less and stage 1 When i put on the slip-ons [175's] i lost bottom end torque and gained noise. .....The lollipops quieted down the noise and brought back the bottom big time..

coronetracer65 (12-29-2016)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

You can use the Thunder Torque Inserts...they are a very advanced (patented) lollipop. They perform significantly better than anything that can be made from the hardware store.

The TTI's do not increase any heat, and will lower the tone & volume a bit, & increase low & mid range torque.

You can see HERE what size to get.

You and your TG will be happier with TTI's than with a smaller diameter baffle.

Feel free to call or write with any questions.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

coronetracer65 (01-06-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slip on baffles