Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Easy Oil Change

Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Easy Oil Change

Thought I would start doing at least my own engine oil changes through warranty period. Every other interval will take it in for scheduled service (except engine oil/filter). If this doesn't save me much for every 10,000 mile service appointment then I will start doing all three holes myself.

Did oil and filter yesterday. Compared to other bikes I have owned the TG was super easy! The whole process took about 30 minutes.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I just did the 15k on mine. All 3 holes probably took a little over an hour. Not to hard at all but I did decide I need to buy a lift

Last edited by Muffbrorick; 01-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Something to help make it easier if you are new to it, and avoid some of the potential mess of removing the oil filter....

1. Drain the Crankcase oil.
2. Break lose the oil filter so you can remove by hand when empty but not enough to cause it to leak. (usually a 1/4 turn or less)
3. While the crankcase oil is finishing its drip, slide a 1 qt ZipLock baggie over the oil filter all the way to the back.
4. Pull the top part of the baggie back towards you so you can access the front end of the filter where you slide the wrench on.
5. Use a sharp punch and hammer to punch a hole in the bottom front edge of the filter and another at the top and pull the baggie back up and to the back.
6. Let the oil drain from the filter into the baggie until it quits dripping.
7. slide the top of the baggie forward a little so you can use your fingers to touch the filter while holding the bottom in place and slowly unscrew the filter and let it slip into the baggie.
8. Zip the bag shut and toss in trash.
9. use a little fresh oil on your finger tip to wet the rubber gasket on the new filter.
10. Optional but I always do this step. Fill the filter about half way with fresh oil and screw it on.

The following 2 users liked this post by jdunn01:
ISP-FLHTK (01-18-2017), Oogie Wa Wa (01-20-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:00 PM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
Thought I would start doing at least my own engine oil changes through warranty period. Every other interval will take it in for scheduled service (except engine oil/filter). If this doesn't save me much for every 10,000 mile service appointment then I will start doing all three holes myself.

Did oil and filter yesterday. Compared to other bikes I have owned the TG was super easy! The whole process took about 30 minutes.
Good on ya!! It's not rocket science and if you take your time to do it yourself, at least you'll know it's done right. A lift does make things a lot easier but not really required (very expensive for a trike lift) and a manual is a great, if not essential addition to your workshop. A great feeling to work on and know your own bike - you will save money!!
Cheers and happy wrenching...

Doug

Last edited by 8Crow; 01-17-2017 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This is nothing more than a motor like changing oil in anything else...buy the HD low profile drain pan...drain the oil and remove the filter...don't worry about the filter oil and the front of the engine dripping in the pan...spray the front of the engine with a degreaser (it was dirty to start with) and let drip dry or wipe with a rag ...35 yrs no problems...

Old 01-18-2017, 09:07 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hard Ride
This is nothing more than a motor like changing oil in anything else...buy the HD low profile drain pan...drain the oil and remove the filter...don't worry about the filter oil and the front of the engine dripping in the pan...spray the front of the engine with a degreaser (it was dirty to start with) and let drip dry or wipe with a rag ...35 yrs no problems...

I had the Harley enclosed oil pan and oil filter wrench. The oil pan worked really good. But I was dumb enough to pay $19 for the Harley filter sleeve that has the little piece of hose. It is suppose to let the filter oil run down into the hose and then into the pan. Well it let the oil run the other way too so I got some down around everything else, which was okay because I had stuffed a wad of paper towel under there just in case plus the oil pan was under the area. Anyway, I did end up spraying that area with degreaser to remove some left over oil stains.

I'm giving away the nice orange $19 filter sleeve and trying the freezer bag next time. I use the freezer bag catch when I change oil on my RV and it works really well.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:13 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default oil change

I elevate the right rear tire on the trike with a2x4 or jack it up on the frame to give it a little tilt , Then punch a top and bottom hole in the filter to drain onto a section of 2" diameter pvc which directs the oil out to a drain pan. Works better than the stupid orange thing. Still get a little mess which paper towels will cure. The filter relocation kit from DK is the answer , but if your warranty leary , Harley will frown on it ! I ask ! Ebert

ISP-FLHTK (01-25-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
I had the Harley enclosed oil pan and oil filter wrench. The oil pan worked really good. But I was dumb enough to pay $19 for the Harley filter sleeve that has the little piece of hose. It is suppose to let the filter oil run down into the hose and then into the pan. Well it let the oil run the other way too so I got some down around everything else, which was okay because I had stuffed a wad of paper towel under there just in case plus the oil pan was under the area. Anyway, I did end up spraying that area with degreaser to remove some left over oil stains.

I'm giving away the nice orange $19 filter sleeve and trying the freezer bag next time. I use the freezer bag catch when I change oil on my RV and it works really well.
I am using "The Wench" by Rivco for the oil filter...

Attached Thumbnails Easy Oil Change-hd021_01_bw.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

A half gallon milk jug with the end cut off works great too.

Bubba

ISP-FLHTK (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Proline1969
Cruiser
Received 184 Likes on 72 Posts

I took my new HD filter into Pep Boys and bought this for $5 .

ISP-FLHTK (01-25-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easy Oil Change