Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2017 Trike Won't Start In Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i think they were talking about at an intersection rolling along slowly and trying to start the thing while people are trying to run over you. starting while stopped is not an issue.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i think they were talking about at an intersection rolling along slowly and trying to start the thing while people are trying to run over you. starting while stopped is not an issue.
Exactly

Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Couple of thoughts-

This is not a new thing on the 2017's...started back in 2014.

It was not terribly long ago (it's all relative) that if one stalled in an intersection, there was no magic button...had to either pop-start it (if going fast enough) or stop & kick start it.

Yes, I agree, it is a dangerous "feature". The "danger" of starting in gear with the clutch pulled in, and possibly having the clutch plates drag you forward a bit is FAR less dangerous than not being able to start up while rolling without having to put on the brakes.

I don't know if it was government mandated, but it sure seems like it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Yep!

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Couple of thoughts-

It was not terribly long ago (it's all relative) that if one stalled in an intersection, there was no magic button...had to either pop-start it (if going fast enough) or stop & kick start it.

Yes, I agree, it is a dangerous "feature". The "danger" of starting in gear with the clutch pulled in, and possibly having the clutch plates drag you forward a bit is FAR less dangerous than not being able to start up while rolling without having to put on the brakes.

Yep, you can bet you butt it was the Government or Lawyers.... maybe a combination of both!

Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

You ever have one of them try and run you over? I have. Some years back I wanted to start the 2010 Triglide I used to own, it had been setting for the winter. I wasn't thinking when I just pulled in the clutch and pushed the start button while standing on the left side while it was in gear. I couldn't get to that front break lever fast enough, that sucker lurched and almost broke my leg due to the stuck clutch plates. I took it as a lesson learned and never started one in gear while standing to the side again.

Start adding extra plate clutch kits, different fluids in the primary and you have something which can hurt someone. My dads 09 with an extra plate clutch kit isn't something to start in gear with the clutch pulled in after it has set for several weeks. I will jump forward pretty quick and far when it starts, due to the clutch plates being stuck together.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
You ever have one of them try and run you over? I have. Some years back I wanted to start the 2010 Triglide I used to own, it had been setting for the winter. I wasn't thinking when I just pulled in the clutch and pushed the start button while standing on the left side while it was in gear. I couldn't get to that front break lever fast enough, that sucker lurched and almost broke my leg due to the stuck clutch plates. I took it as a lesson learned and never started one in gear while standing to the side again.

Start adding extra plate clutch kits, different fluids in the primary and you have something which can hurt someone. My dads 09 with an extra plate clutch kit isn't something to start in gear with the clutch pulled in after it has set for several weeks. I will jump forward pretty quick and far when it starts, due to the clutch plates being stuck together.

Nope, never had one try and run me over.

And I would prefer the Gov., or HD, or whoever is responsible, would not put additional "features" in place to compensate for folks that are not thinking when they are operating their bike or trike.

Everyone has a different perspective on things...mine is that stalling in an intersection, and having to stop before restarting, is more dangerous than having the clutch plates drag. I would rather be run over by the trike at 3 miles in my garage than a truck or car in an intersection.

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-22-2017 at 12:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Fearless (old nickname) (01-23-2017), Muffbrorick (01-23-2017), Onramp (02-05-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:07 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and information. Personally I don't have a trike so I wouldn't have known this. It was my friend's very first trike, so it was unknown to him. Unfortunately at the time, he didn't have enough momentum to just release the clutch and it fire back up.

I will have him try a slow roll, kill it, and with clutch pulled in with very slight brake try to fire it back up via the starter. If that works, then that will be helpful to him going forward.

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 01-23-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

A very light pull on the brake, just enough to activate the brake light, might work. I wonder if a tap on the brake lever, like I use to kill the cruise control, would be enough to get the bike to restart or if the bike will stop cranking as soon as the brake is released. Just curious as I don't have a trike either
Have to agree with DK, I wish the gov't & lawyers would stop protecting us from ourselves.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:34 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Couple of thoughts-

HA! HA! HA! this is the truth. i pissed off more people than i care to remember by killing the old pan, jockey shift at lights when i was a younger man. normally i would just push it to the side before i started kicking. a friends little boy learned to count by watching his dad try and start his 53 pan.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

I would think MOCO had a lot to do with the brake switch. Maybe just something as simple as a person suing Harley for their own screw-up.
Maybe an employee getting a bonus for a new safety feature ! Whatever the reason MOCO sees it as a safety item so they aren't about to take it away. I bet there is a switch in the ECM somewhere that no one has put where it is accessible via tuners.
If it was a government reg. you would see it on all motorcycles/ all brands.

Last edited by sloufoot; 01-23-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Trike Won't Start In Gear