Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2017 Trike Won't Start In Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 2017 Trike Won't Start In Gear

A few weeks ago I was riding sweep in a HOG ride. A friend of mine had just purchased a new 2017 Trike and was getting used to the clutch release. At an intersection, after the light turned green, the group took off and my friend stalled. He had some momentum but couldn't start the bike while rolling (not enough momentum to just release the clutch and engine start it) because the starter wouldn't work. He had to completely stop the trike, find neutral, then he could start the bike. After the ride he went straight to the dealership and found out that it is a new *feature* for 2017 that the bike has to be in neutral to start. I don't know what models this impacts, but now I know it impacts trikes.

I found this to be a very serious and dangerous issue. In this case he was in the middle of an intersection and car drivers were getting pissy. People do stupid things and cause accidents when they get pissy like that. It had me very concerned and was relieved when he got it started and cleared the intersection.

If rolling down a highway and accidentally hit the engine kill switch instead of the right signal (like everyone has done at some point), if the rider doesn't know they can just release the clutch to restart, they will be having to completely stop the bike so they can find neutral to restart.

Personally, I find this pretty stupid and unsafe. I understand needing to have the clutch pulled in, but having to put it in neutral is just unsafe in more ways than not.

The following users liked this post:
Marks628 (08-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Yup. Sounds like a silly "feature" to me, too.

As you may know, on the Rushmore bikes (2014-2016) that symptom is a signal that the switch pack on the left handle bar is going t!ts-up. When that happens the cruise control and the gear indicator will not work. Don't know if that same quirk exists for the 2017s or not. Just in case the dealer didn't know what he was talking about, he might check cruise and the gear indicator, too.

The dealer is probably right, but ya never know.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
Yup. Sounds like a silly "feature" to me, too.

As you may know, on the Rushmore bikes (2014-2016) that symptom is a signal that the switch pack on the left handle bar is going t!ts-up. When that happens the cruise control and the gear indicator will not work. Don't know if that same quirk exists for the 2017s or not. Just in case the dealer didn't know what he was talking about, he might check cruise and the gear indicator, too.

The dealer is probably right, but ya never know.
Yeah, familiar with the 14-16 models switch pack 'issue'. I don't know if that issue exists on the 2017's.

I also read that the 2017's touring line is supposed to kill the engine if the jiffy stand is down and a certain speed is reached (don't know what speed would be), but that would be stupid too in the event of a slow speed right turn. That could cause a slow speed dump. I do not know if that 'feature' made it to production.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

my 15 trike you have to have the clutch in and the brakes on before it will start in gear. this is just stupid. same thing happened to me at an intersection. i wonder how this feature could be deleted ?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
The_Monk
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's normal. To start the trike in gear with the foot brake off (sales guy showed me this on my 16 TriGlide) just hold in the front brake while you hit the start switch.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gots to hold in the clutch too.

Last edited by The_Monk; 01-19-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:18 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Lmao

Originally Posted by The_Monk
That's normal. To start the trike in gear with the foot brake off (sales guy showed me this on my 16 TriGlide) just hold in the front brake while you hit the start switch.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you gots to hold in the clutch too.
Now that is a funny edit.....but true. You don't really think anybody in this forum would have brought that to your attention....do you?

Old 01-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The wife has a 14 TriGlide and she has struggled with this very thing...I will pass this on to her to see if it works on the '14s...I do not see any reason as to why is shouldnt be different.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
A few weeks ago I was riding sweep in a HOG ride. A friend of mine had just purchased a new 2017 Trike and was getting used to the clutch release. At an intersection, after the light turned green, the group took off and my friend stalled. He had some momentum but couldn't start the bike while rolling (not enough momentum to just release the clutch and engine start it) because the starter wouldn't work. He had to completely stop the trike, find neutral, then he could start the bike. After the ride he went straight to the dealership and found out that it is a new *feature* for 2017 that the bike has to be in neutral to start. I don't know what models this impacts, but now I know it impacts trikes.

I found this to be a very serious and dangerous issue. In this case he was in the middle of an intersection and car drivers were getting pissy. People do stupid things and cause accidents when they get pissy like that. It had me very concerned and was relieved when he got it started and cleared the intersection.

If rolling down a highway and accidentally hit the engine kill switch instead of the right signal (like everyone has done at some point), if the rider doesn't know they can just release the clutch to restart, they will be having to completely stop the bike so they can find neutral to restart.

Personally, I find this pretty stupid and unsafe. I understand needing to have the clutch pulled in, but having to put it in neutral is just unsafe in more ways than not.
Pretty sure you can start in gear if you have the clutch in and front or rear brake applied.

Yeah, it's a pain...just one of the many we have to deal with as MoCo keeps adding "features" (like linked brakes) to compensate for inexperienced riders.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Firebike32 (10-28-2020)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:57 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,245 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Pretty sure you can start in gear if you have the clutch in and front or rear brake applied.

Yeah, it's a pain...just one of the many we have to deal with as MoCo keeps adding "features" (like linked brakes) to compensate for inexperienced riders.
I think it's the lawyers. OMG...what if someone started it in gear and the bike ran through a **** shop?

But, it's gotta be a PITA if you ever accidentally kill the engine at speed. In a panic, you'll never get it in neutral. Now, you have to apply the brakes...even if just enough to trigger the switch.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Those conditions Wow

It seems to me that stopping in traffic can be very dangerous to all concerned! Old Shiney and I don't have such safety features thank goodness(on the trike) and old age (me). Ride safely fearless

Quick Reply: 2017 Trike Won't Start In Gear