Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

FOBO TPMS questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default FOBO TPMS questions

Well I searched every way I could in this forum and couldn't find much. I did find some info in the Rushmore forum, but not what i need to know. I ordered a FOBO kit for my 2016 TGU and received it this morning. It is a very simple install procedure. The very first thing you need to do when installing the front tire sensor is to slowly rotate the front tire and make sure the front sensor doesn't hit anything on the right side caliper. Well, mine does hit with the stock factory rubber valve stems installed. It hits the bolt head on the top of the caliper. Naturally, the two rear tires and sensors are no problem. I know that you really need to replace the rubber stems with metal stems, and I plan on doing that in about 4-5 thousand more miles.

Have any of you in this forum tried these on a HD Trike? I have talked to Bob with FOBO in Florida and he said he had heard of a couple of people with HD trikes having this problem, but he couldn't remember the year model. So, does anybody have any real experience with this. I know the front calipers on the trikes are big, and this may not be the same calipers that are on the regular touring bikes. It could also be a model year change that caused this.

I am trying to decide if I am going to keep the kit and run the rear sensors until I change the valve stems, or return the kit. The best I can measure it with a short caliper, shows the valve stem to be about .900-.950 inches long from the rim surface to the end of the threaded stem. It looks like I will need a metal stem 3/4 inch long at the most when I do change them. Any ideas or experience? I think I will look at a 45 degree billet valve turned in toward the center of the rim. That might be the best option. ???

Attached Thumbnails FOBO TPMS questions-tirevalve.jpg  

Last edited by so60; 01-19-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Here's a thread where others are saying they're pretty happy with them. (all or mostly 2 wheelers)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-monitors.html

Why return them. If this is a feature you like, why not run them on the rear for now, and then in 4-5K miles you'll be able to run it up front too.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Yep, I installed them.

Hey Kevin. I did keep the set and installed two of them on the rear tires. I must have read 20-30 different post and threads about them before I bought them. I was hoping to hear from somebody that had installed one and see what type front metal valve stem they used. It appears to me that a 45 degree stem turned toward the inside will work or a very short straight one. I am also considering jacking the trike up and see if I can break the front tire bead with a large "C" clamp just enough to change the stem myself. However, I sure don't want to scratch a rim up trying. If I can do it with the "C" clamp I can quickly rotate the tire to make sure the new stem will clear without having to take the tire off the bike every time.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:11 AM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same problem hitting the caliper in front on my 2017 Trike.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Hi Kevin i have been using FOBO for over 2 years love them. The problem is there not save to use with rubber stems. I would order the the steel t stems they work great you can place the sensor on top and you have the side stem for adding and removing air. I used the rubber stems on my 17 RGU had problem with the rear stem leaking air way too much heat the got soft rubbery lost air pressure . Since i have gone to the steel stems no problems. Like i said wouldn't ride with out my FOBO gives me great info on pressures and tire temp. Will also alert phone if you're pressure get lower then your reset settings.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Ben A
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It doesn't hit on my 21" front wheel. I love them. they work very well giving you plenty of notice if you have a low tire.

Last edited by Ben A; 07-11-2017 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wengerda (07-12-2017)