Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Anyone install heated grips on Tri Glide ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Fireball68
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone install heated grips on Tri Glide ?

Went to the shop today to buy the heated grips like I had on my Ultra and had to order them but was able to pick up the wiring kit. Inquired about having them installed and having a set of small apes put on the trike, we ll I didn't get too far after the Tech tells me its a 10 hr job at $95 an hr. SO needless to say, I will be doing this myself or shopping it out to an independent shop. Just wondering if anyone had done it and was it really that bad. While I am asking, anyone put a set of small apes on theirs, bars seem to give me a pinch in the shoulder blade are, thinking it might help.

The following users liked this post:
Stansuski (12-28-2020)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Changed bars twice, which involved moving my dealer-installed heated grips twice. It's not too bad of a job, there are some awesome posts in the Touring section about swapping out bars. If you don't regularly injure yourself when using tools you'l be fine. Not particularly hard, you just have to pay attention. You'll also save almost a thousand dollars!!!

Here's a link to a great thread with lots of pictures, great explanations and a whole bunch of questions answered, check it out.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-included.html

Old 01-25-2017, 04:58 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced the bars on my triglide myself. At the same time I installed Heat Demons heated grips. The entire process took me 4 hours. This was my first triglide handlebar install, but I had replaced the bars on my 02 Fatboy before.

That being said, I would expect it to take you somewhere between 4 and 8 hours to do the job yourself if youve never done it before and if youre mechanically inclined.

It is not a hard job, just time consuming. Follow the service manual and do it yourself. Enjoy a job well done.

Fireball68 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Fireball68
3rd Gear

Much appreciated guys, I didn't think it was a 10 hr job. I put apes on a road star and it took me about 4 hours to swap everything out but thought I would ask. Did you guys put apes on or just trade out to a different style so there was no need for new cables, etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

True about the manual, coflhtk. One thing that I did find out; you'll be using the sections for removing the levers/reservoirs, grips, twist grip sensor, controls and bars. The manual assumes you're looking at ALL of the sections.

When it says remove the controls, for instance, there's a part of the lever section about using a spacer to hold the brake lever away from fully released. Or it may be the other way around. If you don't see that you'll miss it, trust me. I ended up making copies of the pages I needed, and checked each step off as I did it, referring back and forth.

For what it's worth, I didn't have the special Harley spacer to hold the lever out a bit, but I used a book match bent in half instead and it worked out fine.

I didn't need to get extended wiring or lines. Although adding a 4" extension on the controls wires sure made it a lot easier the second time around.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 01-25-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Fireball68 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 05:44 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball68
Much appreciated guys, I didn't think it was a 10 hr job. I put apes on a road star and it took me about 4 hours to swap everything out but thought I would ask. Did you guys put apes on or just trade out to a different style so there was no need for new cables, etc.
I installed the Krome Werks 2+2 wide sweepers. You can do it with no new cables or wires; but as was said the 4" extensions make it a lot easier. I got mine from Boardtracker for about $25

Old 01-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Khrome werks 2+2 wide sweepers

These really stopped the back and neck pain for good

Like having power steering increased leverage

Back is straight not stretch forward

Shiney here all cleaned up for show and tell Bike and Car show fall 2016

Although not on a 2017 here is what they look like on a TriGlide

Fireball68 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 01:40 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put heated grips on with help of a friend...took about 3-4 hours....needless to say.... he knew what he was doing....LOL

Attached Thumbnails Anyone install heated grips on Tri Glide ?-20161125_114043-1-.jpg  
Fearless (old nickname) (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Fireball68
3rd Gear

I am liking that look there, did you have to replace any cables or wire extensions needed ?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

A couple small tips :
Use a string through the bars to pull the wires through the bars. Blow it through with air. I use braided fish line.
Get rid of the little blue/green connector block in the throttle wiring. A bit of careful soldering & heat shrink tube will save you headaches later.

Fireball68 (01-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone install heated grips on Tri Glide ?