Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Do you hear what I hear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Do you hear what I hear?

When I am backing up manually I hear a rubbing noise. Kind of sounds like dirt in a break drum. The dealer told me on the day before my warranty ran out that it is the belt tracking to the otherside of the pulley. Does anyone else here this? No motor, engine off, just gliding backwards.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitarded
When I am backing up manually I hear a rubbing noise. Kind of sounds like dirt in a break drum. The dealer told me on the day before my warranty ran out that it is the belt tracking to the otherside of the pulley. Does anyone else here this? No motor, engine off, just gliding backwards.

If that is the case you possibly have serious problems with the differential, make the dealer look at it today. fearless

Old 02-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

It does that. In fact, in my manual, even set perfectly centered to front drive, it will still do that. The tolerance is almost 1/32 but I get a lot closer then that and it's still on one side going fwd. Other side if back up a little ways..Just like tracking a belt sander or tread mill if you have ever did that. However, the belt has no problem with that and will make no noise unless kept spotless clean. You might check alignment for your trike. I would think unlike my Softail , I assume yours it aligned to front pulley with the rubber mounted motor. My Softail with a solid mounted motor aligns the rear wheel/pulley to the motor.. If alignment is correct and it is just rubbing slightly, hit it with some white talcum power. It will quieten it. May have to repeat it a few time but it will stop when it gets a little dirty..

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-22-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:30 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

When I 'flintstone' my Freewheeler or wife's Tri-glide with motor off so I can hear, I can hear the breaks dragging slightly, like they should. The belt would have to 'shift' a long way to rub on something that would make that kind of noise. Take a look at the belt, see if you can find any rub marks. Too bad the mechanic didn't write that down, or that you didn't pitch a bitch about the noise, then you would have a paper trail to fight for warranty work. Good Luck

Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

they are just like any other bike out there. the belt tracks to the outside when moving forward and to the inside when moving rearward if adjusted correctly. custom bikes running a wide rear tire must watch this as the belt will rub the tire when rolling them backwards. normal.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks guys...I think it is the brake that I am hearing