Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

12 Hour Saddle??

Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 12 Hour Saddle??

I have been riding for a while. Got a 2016 TG last summer. Had a Road Glide and Dyna before that. I like to take very long multi day rides. Just came back from a ride to Orlando and back from Kansas City. About 3,000 miles total. I rode a little more than 700 miles Saturday in 12 hours. I know many riders have done that and more. After spending a fair amount of money on seats and cushions for things like a Sundoowner Seat, Airhawk, sheepskin, highway pegs etc I have come to the conclusion that there is not a seat setup out there that won't make your a$$ sore after 3 or 4 hours in the saddle. Is this a fair statement? Or, does someone have a setup that doesn't make you sore after 3 or 4 hours? I still love the long rides and will keep taking them, just want to see if I am missing a saddle/seatup option option. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Hogdoc45 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
longhaul42
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also tried out a few seats the best that I have found is the Harley road zeppelin have had it on my 06 ultra now for 10 years. ultra has 84 thousand miles with most miles long haul What I find is somedays everything just don't want to feel right . You know what I mean.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger51
I have been riding for a while. Got a 2016 TG last summer. Had a Road Glide and Dyna before that. I like to take very long multi day rides. Just came back from a ride to Orlando and back from Kansas City. About 3,000 miles total. I rode a little more than 700 miles Saturday in 12 hours. I know many riders have done that and more. After spending a fair amount of money on seats and cushions for things like a Sundoowner Seat, Airhawk, sheepskin, highway pegs etc I have come to the conclusion that there is not a seat setup out there that won't make your a$$ sore after 3 or 4 hours in the saddle. Is this a fair statement? Or, does someone have a setup that doesn't make you sore after 3 or 4 hours? I still love the long rides and will keep taking them, just want to see if I am missing a saddle/seatup option option. Thanks.
I have used these guys for last 2 seats ( changed to Trike & prev.seat wouldn't fit). www.astechseat.com/ Great to deal with & make it right if your not happy. Call & talk to them. We love our seat. Did a 5500 mile ride & comfy.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

We have a Sundowner and like it very much. Demo seats at dealer and see if one fits your backside. Mean city cycles will alter your stock seat too.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

16 hours, 1000 miles. Only stopped long enough to fill up or ****. Stopped once for food.

Hammock seat and padded bicycle shorts under the jeans. No issues at all.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger51
I have come to the conclusion that there is not a seat setup out there that won't make your a$$ sore after 3 or 4 hours in the saddle. Is this a fair statement? Or, does someone have a setup that doesn't make you sore after 3 or 4 hours? I still love the long rides and will keep taking them, just want to see if I am missing a saddle/seatup option option. Thanks.
I've done an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500 concurrently. Did it on a Russell Day Long. The seat is custom made and is comfortable the whole time. The seat has more endurance than me. When I went on my coast to coast trip in 2012, I rode miles 500-600 mile days. This seat has been on 2 triglides and is a keeper. I want to say somewhere around 38,000 miles total so far... Good luck in your search.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:07 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default seats

You might want to look into getting a seat made. Seats by Rick Mayer or Russell Day Long Saddles are used by a lot of the people that do Iron Butt Rides .Their seats are made according to your height ,weight and inseam.Also a lot of people don't realize that any kind of pants with pockets on the back are not comfortable for long day after day road trips.
Look up the Iron Butt Association and see what kind of gear those guys use.To ride 1,000 miles a day 11 days in a row you have to have the right gear. Safe travels.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
tacojunkie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road Zepplin the best, and that's after I've had an Airhawk, Mustang, and Corbin. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Zepplin.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
16 hours, 1000 miles. Only stopped long enough to fill up or ****. Stopped once for food.

Hammock seat and padded bicycle shorts under the jeans. No issues at all.
Hmmm.. The bicycle shorts are the least expensive and most expedient possible solution. Think I will try it. Any particular brand or type that works best?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done quite a few 1000+ mile days on my 2010 Ultra with a Road Zeppelin seat. For me it's the best seat for that type of riding, of course everyone has their own opinion on what works for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12 Hour Saddle??