Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Taking my first ride TODAY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Jerzgirl,

For what I have read if my memory serves me well, I have CRS hahahaha, the difference between two wheels and three.

Two wheels you push on the right handle bar to lean to the right, and left the same.

Trikes you actually steer if that's the correct word , but you turn into the turn, just the opposite of two wheeled bikes.

That's why I say take to an empty parking lot. Get used steering it, versus leaning into the turn. Once you are familiar try it faster. When you are comfortable with that. Try some extreme stopping with out leaving a mark.
This way you are familiar with the handling, allowing you to venture off into the wide blue wonder hahahahaha

Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jerzgirl
so I'm really learning both.

As I understand it, the Freewheeler is quite stable, though it does feel odd on bumps or pitched roads in my very limited experience. Hopefully it's nothing crazy and with the upcoming spring weather I'll be out and about!

J
I hate to say this what I told you.

20 yrs ago when I was married, 3rd time, and the step daughters were coming of age to drive. When I was younger I raced Go-Karts and was familiar with drifting. Anyway I asked them to go to an empty pkg lot and try and put the car in a spin.

This way they knew what; how it feels like and then how to correct it.

Sounds simple right?

Both looked at me with WTF you want me to do what!!!

Needless to say within a year both had a dramatic experience with what I was trying to help them with. Gladly they survived, one vehicle didn't.

So, This is why I am asking you to familiarize your self withe 3 Wheels!!

You said you took the MSF Course, I would guess that's like a driving course.

Bet they don't put you through the what If's.

Anyway that's what I am trying to say.

Best Wishes

Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

Forgot to say it was in the winter and Parking lot's where ffozen.

Told you I had CRS. hahahahaha

Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Jerzgirl
First welcome to the forum and the world of trikes. Yes it's different but very doable. I tought my wife and she had never ridden before. Slow and easy...guiding a trike is very different than two wheels, yep you drive a trike. Find a school or church parking lot, take it slow, make several different turns, stops, panic stops. It'll come quickly but it'll also take a good time to get really comfortable with it.
Several tips that have helped me and others.
No you don't lean to make it go right or left but still lean a little to help with the effect of moving you off the seat, not a bunch but a little.
When I make a left turn or curve I place a little pressure with my right foot on the floorboard, again this help me stay planted in the seat and helps the steering effort. Same with other turns.
When making a turn or curve lock your outside elbow, this helps the steering effect.
All the safety rules you have learned already still apply, like intersections and stupid drivers...

Have fun and enjoy the ride. Also we need pictures of your new FW...

As for the oil, hope it's something simple and I'm sure it is...filler cap missing or lose is my guess.....or a lose hose.

Again, welcome and ride safe

Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Keep us posted, who's the dealer your working with?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Jerzgirl
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Jerzgirl
First welcome to the forum and the world of trikes. Yes it's different but very doable. I tought my wife and she had never ridden before. Slow and easy...guiding a trike is very different than two wheels, yep you drive a trike. Find a school or church parking lot, take it slow, make several different turns, stops, panic stops. It'll come quickly but it'll also take a good time to get really comfortable with it.
Several tips that have helped me and others.
No you don't lean to make it go right or left but still lean a little to help with the effect of moving you off the seat, not a bunch but a little.
When I make a left turn or curve I place a little pressure with my right foot on the floorboard, again this help me stay planted in the seat and helps the steering effort. Same with other turns.
When making a turn or curve lock your outside elbow, this helps the steering effect.
All the safety rules you have learned already still apply, like intersections and stupid drivers...

Have fun and enjoy the ride. Also we need pictures of your new FW...

As for the oil, hope it's something simple and I'm sure it is...filler cap missing or lose is my guess.....or a lose hose.

Again, welcome and ride safe
Thanks for that! Yep I intend to take it quite slow, parking lots, local roads until I'm confident! I know I have to be on it and practice. I'm not 100% sure how to attach a picture of her here, but let me try...

Attached Thumbnails Taking my first ride TODAY!-output.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Casper (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
Oil leaks are no fun and especially when it pours. Good luck on them fixing her correctly.

You say you learned on two wheels and now you have a trike. I haven't ridden one yet, I have read several posts on what to do and what not to do. Different riding experience all together.

Be glad it's not a side car, I was talking with a gent that has a side car due to his left leg and ankle is bad. He was telling me it is more difficult in making a ride hand turn. The side car will lift up and the only way to bring it down is to turn left. Yes exactly, het told me he has had two encounters of this and both times hit or at least broadsided an approaching vehicle going opposite direction. Yikes!!!!!

Be prepared and practice in an open parking lot maybe.

Good luck
I have a friend that has a side car . I have road it many times . It sounds like the person that had that side car had no business riding it . Not to be mean but you have to know your skill set.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Yu will be fine

Take your time and practice if it feels like the situation is wrong don't do it. Keep the speed down and pay attention you will find the comfort in trikes quickly. ride safely Fred

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerzgirl
Hi! I am the very excited owner of a 2016 FLRT! Just got it - live in NJ - and today is the first decent weather day to take her for her maiden run! SUPER excited!

I am new to the forum, and have been reading up. I have a 2006 Sporty, and have only had my license for just over a year (not very many miles under my butt).

I had been on the back of hubs bike for years, and finally decided I wanted to get my own. I wanted a trike out of the gate - but needed to learn on 2 wheels first. Now I want both. ANYWAY - Thank you for having this specific HD Trike area here - I've gotten a ton of great info, and expect I'll have a ton of questions too.

J
Bummer about the oil, but is probably an easy fix, and you'll be back on 3 soon.

I know you're feeling about wanting both! I am the same, having a Sporty and a TG myself.

Hope you have as much fun as I've had riding both!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-26-2017, 10:01 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
I have a friend that has a side car . I have road it many times . It sounds like the person that had that side car had no business riding it . Not to be mean but you have to know your skill set.
I agree, and this applies to what ever you are doing, riding, driving.

That's why I suggest the empty pkg lot. Practice to be better, more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Taking my first ride TODAY!