Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Taking my first ride TODAY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Jerzgirl
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taking my first ride TODAY!

Hi! I am the very excited owner of a 2016 FLRT! Just got it - live in NJ - and today is the first decent weather day to take her for her maiden run! SUPER excited!

I am new to the forum, and have been reading up. I have a 2006 Sporty, and have only had my license for just over a year (not very many miles under my butt).

I had been on the back of hubs bike for years, and finally decided I wanted to get my own. I wanted a trike out of the gate - but needed to learn on 2 wheels first. Now I want both. ANYWAY - Thank you for having this specific HD Trike area here - I've gotten a ton of great info, and expect I'll have a ton of questions too.

J

Old 03-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Jerzgirl
6th Gear
Default Well that didn't go well...

Just riding around the neighborhood, getting a feel for my FLRT. It started going well, getting the hang of it. Hubby was following and I decided to make a move to ride to the local HD Dealership, when at a stop light - smoke started pouring up around my right leg. Hub pulled up next to me and said "you're leaking oil...get home now!"

Home I came...after 3-4 miles she was spewing oil out of...can't tell where. Ugh. She has a total of 36 miles on her now...4 or 5 of which I just put on. Dealership is coming to get her. Any ideas? Hub thinks maybe it was over-filled...but man that was a bunch of oil that came out. Not dripping, pouring.

J

Old 03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by HogAir; 03-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jerzgirl (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:24 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Well -That Sucks!

I feel for you!

You'll have to let us know how this turns out AND how the dealer handled it!

Old 03-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Jerzgirl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I feel for you!

You'll have to let us know how this turns out AND how the dealer handled it!
For sure! Our experience with this dealership so far has been top notch. We called - they immediately said "we are coming to get her and fix this asap".

Sucks though. Was looking forward to taking her for a proper little ride.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:32 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Oil leaks are no fun and especially when it pours. Good luck on them fixing her correctly.

You say you learned on two wheels and now you have a trike. I haven't ridden one yet, I have read several posts on what to do and what not to do. Different riding experience all together.

Be glad it's not a side car, I was talking with a gent that has a side car due to his left leg and ankle is bad. He was telling me it is more difficult in making a ride hand turn. The side car will lift up and the only way to bring it down is to turn left. Yes exactly, het told me he has had two encounters of this and both times hit or at least broadsided an approaching vehicle going opposite direction. Yikes!!!!!

Be prepared and practice in an open parking lot maybe.

Good luck

Old 03-25-2017, 03:59 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

oil "pouring" from the right side sure sounds like the dip stick wasn't screwed in tight. Good Luck with her, don't let a start up bad experience spoil your whole attitude on trikes.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow! Pouring out, that must be like screwball said loose dipstick or the trans fill. For it to puke out that much (pouring) oil from the breather it would have to be way over filled.

Wouldn't want to take any bike there for an oil change for sure.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Jerzgirl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
Oil leaks are no fun and especially when it pours. Good luck on them fixing her correctly.

You say you learned on two wheels and now you have a trike. I haven't ridden one yet, I have read several posts on what to do and what not to do. Different riding experience all together.

Be glad it's not a side car, I was talking with a gent that has a side car due to his left leg and ankle is bad. He was telling me it is more difficult in making a ride hand turn. The side car will lift up and the only way to bring it down is to turn left. Yes exactly, het told me he has had two encounters of this and both times hit or at least broadsided an approaching vehicle going opposite direction. Yikes!!!!!

Be prepared and practice in an open parking lot maybe.

Good luck
Thanks, yes - took MSF course, then rode with my hub and friends on my '06 Sportster. I love it - but the trike just called me 2 totally different rides for sure. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I don't have tons of experience on either, so I'm really learning both.

As I understand it, the Freewheeler is quite stable, though it does feel odd on bumps or pitched roads in my very limited experience. Hopefully it's nothing crazy and with the upcoming spring weather I'll be out and about!

J

Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Jerzgirl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by screwball
oil "pouring" from the right side sure sounds like the dip stick wasn't screwed in tight. Good Luck with her, don't let a start up bad experience spoil your whole attitude on trikes.
No way! Those very few miles had me smiling ear to ear! She'll get fixed and be back on the road with me in no time

Quick Reply: Taking my first ride TODAY!