Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

ThunderMax & the Tri Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
GPM
Instead of exchanging the ECM why not look at the TTS. You can easily synchronize your VE tables with the VTune software, no dyno needed and it is half the price of the TMax. You will not loose your Anti-Knock protection or have to change your 02 sensors and cables out either.
It's good to know about the lack of the Anti-Knock function. Thanks, I could have been persuaded to go that route before knowing that. I'll PM you later about the TTS dealer name when I make the decision to make the changeout. Right now I'm just making a budget for it & getting a few break-in miles in.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 03-05-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Bloomin Idiot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with ThunderMax and their maps for the TG? I have installed one on my 2011 Street Glide Trike, after installing Vance & Hines Dress Duals with V&H Trike Slip-ons, and a Arlan Ness Big Sucker I. Zippers recommended the following the 243 map for H-D Trikes with the following adj:

1. Adjust TAC Home Position to: 100 steps

2. Adjust Cranking Fuel to: 11msec

3. Adjust Initial Fuel Pulse to: 151%

2011-2013 Trike Gearing Required Basic Settings:

1. Speedo Cal to: 50750

2. Final Drive Ratio to: 78

3. Gear 6 min TPS to: 40

The 103 ran really rough and started hard. Fuel mileage was down to 28mpg and ran hot.

ThunderMax recommended the 279 map for H-D Trikes with no adjustments. Same issues as before.

Decided to use H-DTouring map 185 for my trike, runs smooth, easy starting, 35-38 mpg cruising and not near as hot. This is what Zippers told me:

" Map 185 has a lot more timing in it, but you should be fine so long as you're not experiencing detonation. As far as I know, gearing and timing changes are the only significant difference between the trike maps and the non-trike maps. I'd still recommend an AutoMap after a few tanks. I'd also recommend verifying your speedo is calibrated correctly (next time you ride with someone, just compare your trip mileage with theirs after a ride). Let me know if you have problems. You're also free to submit a data collection at any time to have us review the data."

Any ThunderMax/Trike users provide me their maps and adjustments that they have found works?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM
msauter
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2012 TriGlide with V&H dresser dual headers, stock slip-ons, stock air cleaner, and Thundermax. I also started with base map 243 but still had knock/ping issues, also rear cylinder (left side exhaust) sounded flat and had marginal power. Checked the 243 base map and found the rear cyl timing was cut back 2 degrees. Went to the 185 base map and bike runs much better but I can still induce knock if hard throttle applied at lower (2.5 - 3K) RPM ranges in higher gears. Hoping I can get rid of that with some more tuning.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Thundermax ECM.

I put a Thundermax on my Night Train after I installed a Procharger. Initially, I loaded the Map that came with the Procharger and I was not happy with the results. The bike was a beast at WOT but it cruised horrible at part throttle. I looked at the map and realized that the cam specs for the Map that I was provided by Procharger were way different than what I'm running. I chose a new map that had cam specs similar to my cam, added a little extra fuel at the WOT settings and let the auto tune do its thing.

Its amazing how fast the ECM adjust fuel curves.

FYI, The ECM auto tunes AFRs but not timing. Thats why its so important to pick a map that's compatible with your cam and displacement.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloomin Idiot
Anyone familiar with ThunderMax and their maps for the TG? I have installed one on my 2011 Street Glide Trike, after installing Vance & Hines Dress Duals with V&H Trike Slip-ons, and a Arlan Ness Big Sucker I. Zippers recommended the following the 243 map for H-D Trikes with the following adj:

1. Adjust TAC Home Position to: 100 steps

2. Adjust Cranking Fuel to: 11msec

3. Adjust Initial Fuel Pulse to: 151%

2011-2013 Trike Gearing Required Basic Settings:

1. Speedo Cal to: 50750

2. Final Drive Ratio to: 78

3. Gear 6 min TPS to: 40

The 103 ran really rough and started hard. Fuel mileage was down to 28mpg and ran hot.

ThunderMax recommended the 279 map for H-D Trikes with no adjustments. Same issues as before.

Decided to use H-DTouring map 185 for my trike, runs smooth, easy starting, 35-38 mpg cruising and not near as hot. This is what Zippers told me:

" Map 185 has a lot more timing in it, but you should be fine so long as you're not experiencing detonation. As far as I know, gearing and timing changes are the only significant difference between the trike maps and the non-trike maps. I'd still recommend an AutoMap after a few tanks. I'd also recommend verifying your speedo is calibrated correctly (next time you ride with someone, just compare your trip mileage with theirs after a ride). Let me know if you have problems. You're also free to submit a data collection at any time to have us review the data."

Any ThunderMax/Trike users provide me their maps and adjustments that they have found works?
Drop Icebite1 a PM, he is pretty sharp with the Tmax since he uses it exclusively.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ill leave a couple tidbits here.
ThunderMax is and always has been made by ThunderHeart (not Zippers) in White House, Tenn.
Zippers was their distriubter (still does) for many years and did trouble shooting for them also. They still distribute but trouble shooting is done in house at ThunderHeart now.
The complete TMax, from raw componets, machining, assembly, to final inspection along with R&D is all done at their facility in WhiteHouse.
I have 5 TMaxs on different bikes and all run flawlessly. You just have to work with the unit to get familiar with it.

For the last couple months I have been helping a friend with his PowerVision. Both units, the PV Pro Autotune and Tmax, are quite similuar.
The seperate screen on the PV is a nice touch.

Last edited by icebite1; 10-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Bloomin Idiot
6th Gear

Thanks, msocko3, I'll do that..

Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Bloomin Idiot
6th Gear
Default ThunderMax update for Trikes

Ok, y'all. I pulled the Maxi fuse so I could change out my inner fairing. After alot of research, I decided to load the H-D Trike #279 base map with the following mods:

Accel Fuel: 10ms
Idle RPM: 928
Cranking Fuel: 8.5ms
Comp Release Delay: was N/A for this mod

All else was in accordance with the #279 Base Map. Did a test ride today, and it seems to do very well. No rough starting or front/rear cylinder deviations. AFR's appear to be near equal. Gotta give it a chance to Auto-Tune. Then Auto-Map. Will keep ya up-to-date.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

279 is for a cammed motor, I dont see where you have cams. You also reset the idle a bit high along with the crank fuel.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Bloomin Idiot
6th Gear

Originally Posted by icebite1
279 is for a cammed motor, I dont see where you have cams. You also reset the idle a bit high along with the crank fuel.
Ok, icebite1, I'm up for any suggestions that you may have. I'm new at this and I don't wanna mess up the engine. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax & the Tri Glide?