Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Road Chips on TG

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason I would be getting stone chips on my fenders is that I ride the snot out of it. The 3M film just keeps it looking good. No stone chips.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm concerned about getting small stones in my belt. Also took my seat off one day to find a small stone must of come off my boot and found it's way between the seat and gas tank. Causing the paint to rub off leaving a good size pock mark. I cleaned it up best I could and put clear coat paint on to mark to prevent rust.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
I'm concerned about getting small stones in my belt.
That is one of my biggest concerns also. You just have to use care and hope for the best.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 AM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met a retired engineer here in Denver that worked for Gates Tire and Rubber Company. He was in on the R & D work for the rubber drive belt we have on our motorcycles today. He was a real interesting person to talk with. I ask how they tested the first belts and he said they had a big Harley pushed up against a wall, would hold the throttle wide open and drop the clutch. He said they broke a lot of belts but eventually had a prototype that would work and not break. Kool old dude!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlo
I'm concerned about getting small stones in my belt. Also took my seat off one day to find a small stone must of come off my boot and found it's way between the seat and gas tank. Causing the paint to rub off leaving a good size pock mark. I cleaned it up best I could and put clear coat paint on to mark to prevent rust.
I did have a small rock punch through my belt (this was on my old '05 Ultra) and the belt lasted a long time, "LIKE OVER 20,000 MILES" and I was told that the belt would have lasted a lot longer, but I didn't want to chance it so had it replaced. The funny part is you couldn't see were the rock got pinched between the belt and the sprocket, no signs at all. It look funny to see the head of the rock or pebble sticking through the top of the belt and the bottom of the rock was gone. The top stuck out about 3/32 of an inch. It was centered in the middle of the belt which made it ok. I was told that the belt has 4 wire rods, 2 on each outside portion and if the rock had damaged any of them the belt wouldn't last long. Go figure

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Retired Navy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Champion install the 3m film on my fenders when I bought the kit as I had it pre-painted to match the bike. Not cheap but IMO well worth every penny. The front of the fenders catch a lot of small road debris but the film is tough enough to prevent dings and isn't even visible from a few feet from the trike. The great thing is that when it does get dinged up it can be removed and replaced.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Retired Navy
I had Champion install the 3m film on my fenders when I bought the kit as I had it pre-painted to match the bike. Not cheap but IMO well worth every penny. The front of the fenders catch a lot of small road debris but the film is tough enough to prevent dings and isn't even visible from a few feet from the trike. The great thing is that when it does get dinged up it can be removed and replaced.

+1 on the 3M film. You are correct. It is not cheap.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:08 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Though I built my Trike. I still get the problems you guys are experiencing. !st off. The simple fix for where that chipping is taking place on the bottom edge of the body between the pipes would be the door trim guard for autos. What I see thats happening there. Is when the paint was applied to the body. They didnt spray underneath that edge. but sprayed just the outside of the body. A full length mud flap would prevent that from happening.

As for the gravel that finds it's way in between the pulley and the belt. Back in the days of old. I had a triumph motorcycle. Though it wasnt belt drive, but chain drive. The chain and sprocket had an enclosed chain guard covering it. I plan on making an enclosure for mine and if I can. Ill make them available for the belt drives as well. Upon closer examination of my belt and pulley. The gravel that did get trapped in there had put nicks in teeth of my pulley.

zoood

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason the trike has chipped paint was cause I isn't bright enough to realize that would be a problem till the "happening". So now my fenders are needing a paint job. I'd like to two tone this trike some day.
Ride the snot out of it "YOU BET" I love this machine. It's quick on the corners, comfortable, just needs a little more grunt in but not much more or I would be in serious trouble. Love it.
Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-28-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM
bigdoged2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
Here is a couple pictures of my lower back body panel. This is from driving over dirt roads and debris. "NOW" HD needs to come up with a protective edge for this area. This area is the bottom portion between the left & right mufflers.
I would spray that bottonm section with spray on TRUCK BED LINER
hOPE THIS HELPS
BIGDOGED

Quick Reply: Road Chips on TG