Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering stabilizer

While wandering through the local Harley store this afternoon, was looking at the Tri-glide, and just where their steering stabilizer is located. Attached to the down tubes and to a bracket that is attached to the passing lamp/turn signals. Is this enough to stop head shake or not. If it can, it sure would clean up my front end, and, would elimiate the stabilizer from Champion/ which is big and ugly/lol.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
turtleman

Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I find that it does a fairly good job. I like it.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I have never felt any head shake on my TG, so it must work fine!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still trying to get some info on a 5d rake and if I would still need to run my steering stabilizer. I've been looking at Champions EZSteer for a raked front end. I was told by someone that I couldn't ride my bike (with out the hack) if I raked the front end. I'm confused because a lot of guys rake their front ends and it looks cool and is still rideable. I hate the looks of the stabilizer, it’s so friggin’ ugly. So if someone can give me some insight into this I would really appreciate it.
Coyote

Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 AM
grimm
Road Master

I have a 7 degree rake on mine and have no need for a stabilizer. Holds a line like a champ and has no head shake at all. As for riding with the hack off your bike, I would say that what you heard is correct. Changes to the front end that will positively affect a bike on three wheels will likely have a negative affect on a 2-wheeler. Not saying that you couldn't do it, just make sure you understand how it will change your handling and if you're willing to live with it. Like you, I know several who have mildly raked trees who have no problem riding, but they admitted that the bikes take a bit more effort to turn.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

You have more than a 7d rake on your bike: those two are beautiful.

Yaa, I know about the difference in handling I had an ole chopper (Honda) that I kicked out by cutting the neck and just pulled it up some and welded it. It worked fine except at slow speeds. I'm wondering if that's the same experience I'll get by going with the 5d rake. I never did know how much I raked my chopper, but it worked. I've been riding for 42 years so I'm not a newbie.
Coyote

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Damn, Turtleman I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turtleman57
While wandering through the local Harley store this afternoon, was looking at the Tri-glide, and just where their steering stabilizer is located. Attached to the down tubes and to a bracket that is attached to the passing lamp/turn signals. Is this enough to stop head shake or not. If it can, it sure would clean up my front end, and, would elimiate the stabilizer from Champion/ which is big and ugly/lol.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
turtleman
I didn’t realize how effective this little stabilizer is until mine developed a leak and went out. The 60 mile ride to the dealer to have it replaced felt like a 600 mile ride. The front end felt every little crack in the road and I had to put a death grip on the handlebars every time an 18 wheeler passed me.

IMO, they work well!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ridden 3 wheelers that did not have the easy steer on them and they steered like a Mac truck or a car without power steering. I am with Jimer, I like the damper.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 05-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

We had a Sportser trike before the TriGlide with no rake or damper. Turns over bumps were an experience to say the least.

Quick Reply: steering stabilizer