Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

This Past Weekends Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default This Past Weekends Road Trip

Thought I would report on how things went this past Weekend when my dad and I took our yearly spring ride to Wellsboro PA which is about 210 miles one way. The outside temp ranged from a high of 60 in Wellsboro Saturday afternoon to a low of 35 Sunday morning. We had some spits of rain Saturday but Sunday now that was a treat. We got to experience rain, sleet, hail and snow all on one ride. The Trikes ran pretty good with the max oil temp both of us saw was 190 degrees on Saturday and Sunday the max was 180. My gas mileage on 2 of the tanks I checked was 34.8 and 36.8 mpg, my dad was consistently 2 mpg better on both of his tanks we checked. Power was pretty good running 60 mph in 5th gear most of the way up and down hills. The biggest grade was about a 6% grade which was no problem at all. I did find out the SE255 cams do indeed stop pulling right around 4,500 rpm. I moved out to pass a car and all of a sudden the trike wasn't pulling quite as hard as I'm used to. I looked at the tach and found it had passed through 4,500 and was approaching 5,000, it was still accelerating just wasn't pulling very hard any more.

I did find out I can spin the back tires on the 1 - 2 shift when I'm jumping on it. I pulled out into traffic and jumped on it pretty good then hit 2nd gear and was rewarded with the rear tires breaking loose. The only bummer I had was on Monday I was washing mine and found something had hit the right fender and put a pretty deep chip in it. I touched it up with some touch up paint which hid it pretty good. Now for some warmer weather for my next road trip to Wellsboro with the Wife toward the end of June we will spend about a week lounging around and riding.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike; thanks for the ride report; it’s a shame the weather wasn’t nicer; I was looking forward to a side by side comparison report of the ’09 & ’10 on a 90* + day. I’m waiting for a 120* day to do a test ride report on my heat reduction mods. Normally by this time of the year we would have had many consecutive 100* + days but wouldn’t you know it, this has been one the coolest summers in recent history.

I know that you and your Dad have talked about replacing your SE 255 cam with a Wood TW6-6 this winter; I don’t have any experience with the 255 but based upon the way my TW6-6 cam pulls, I think that you will be much happier with TW6-6! However; I will say that both you and your Dad are both averaging much better gas mileage than I am. I don’t know if that is due to the flatter terrain in your area, your cam, your tune, the higher octane of gas in your area or a combination of all of the above?

Bummer about the rock chip but join my club, I had a truck pass me on the left, cut me off than put his right tires in the right shoulder kicking what seemed like a boulder into my right rear fender. Not a pretty sight.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike did forget to mention that we stopped at Larry HD in Galeton Pa. and talked to them about how they dyno a trike. We feel fairly confident in that they know how to do a dyno. That is a big plus to us.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our fenders have taken a beating this year already. Im trying to ignore it and go with the flow....if youre going to ride it its gonna happen. Ours aint no garage queen.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I know that you and your Dad have talked about replacing your SE 255 cam with a Wood TW6-6 this winter; I don’t have any experience with the 255 but based upon the way my TW6-6 cam pulls, I think that you will be much happier with TW6-6! However; I will say that both you and your Dad are both averaging much better gas mileage than I am. I don’t know if that is due to the flatter terrain in your area, your cam, your tune, the higher octane of gas in your area or a combination of all of the above?

Bummer about the rock chip but join my club, I had a truck pass me on the left, cut me off than put his right tires in the right shoulder kicking what seemed like a boulder into my right rear fender. Not a pretty sight.
We're both still leaning towards the Woods cam. I think most of our better gas mileage is we don't have many stations around here that add 10% Ethanol.

There is a lot of truck traffic in that area due to a big Natural gas find. When we where at the dealer in Mansfield one of the guys mentioned to watch how close we got to the trucks. He was saying they had one of their customers get a rock thrown through his fairing, that would ruin ones day.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Glyder
Our fenders have taken a beating this year already. Im trying to ignore it and go with the flow....if youre going to ride it its gonna happen. Ours aint no garage queen.
I hear you, if your going to ride them their going to get some marks.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Glyder
I hear what you are saying. I average 15,000 to 18,000 miles per summer. My trike is not a garage queen either but I still don't like to see it get all chipped up.I am on the **** side when it comes to taking care of my equipment ( toys ).

Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Tri glide 10
Cruiser

Jimmer

Just about ready to go with the Fuel Moto pipes and 255 cam and Power C. My HD dealer said for sure your cam is a good one but he knows for sure what the 255 cam does. I'm looking at about $1800 for parts and labor... Money can be replaced but just want to make sure all of you are seeing improvements in the heat going away and your trike running better? Tri Glide 10

Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

My trike didn't have the same heat problem the 2010 trikes did. I can tell you though that my trike is running cooler than last year and there sure has been an improvement in the power category.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Tri glide 10
Cruiser

Good to hear you are happy at this time....Its really not been hot in KCMO area yet for me to feel the heat you guys have been talking about..At 70 degrees a few weeks ago I did feel it some..Never ever noticed that on my 06 electra glide so there has to be something wrong with these trikes. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: This Past Weekends Road Trip