Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Riding in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 PM
abrahamseven
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in the Rain

Planning a trip to Southern Utah and expect some rain, My question is, are the back Tires on the 2010 Tri-Glide good in Rain. I know the front Dunlop is, but, I a not familiar with the Rear Tires, Anybody have experience riding the Tri-Glide in the Rain? I appreciate your comments.

steve

Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abrahamseven
Planning a trip to Southern Utah and expect some rain, My question is, are the back Tires on the 2010 Tri-Glide good in Rain. I know the front Dunlop is, but, I a not familiar with the Rear Tires, Anybody have experience riding the Tri-Glide in the Rain? I appreciate your comments.

steve
I have BF Goodrich tires on my trike which are wider then the stock HD tires used on the Triglide rear. In 30k miles I havent felt any loss of traction in the rain and I would venture to say that the stock tires on Triglide will do very well in the rain.

Having 2 rear tires on the ground is definately more re-assuring

Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

Just went through Utah, Zion Harley. Heavy rain when I was there on tuesday. Went all the to Yellowstone park way cool.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM
blade76
Cruiser

Got caught in a front in south Georgia. Had to pull over the rain was so bad you couldn't see, but never felt unsecure as far as traction and ride.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abrahamseven

steve
I have a '09 Tri-Glide and ride in the rain a lot and have not problem. The tires have good traction in the rain
Butch

Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I've been in everything from a small little drizzle to a down right nasty can't see 2' in front of you downpour and have not had a single problem. Most of the folks at the dealer my dad and I do business with think I'm a loose nut because of a couple heavy rains where I've been out riding in. I hit high water that I didn't see last August in Kentucky that splashed up into my lap and filled the horn up to where it wouldn't work, I never had any handling problem.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Glyder
Road Captain

Only problems Ive had is hitting some high water and the crappy rear brakes becoming even crappier.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have a TG, but the next thing to it...a Lehman kitted Ultra Classic and have had some scary experiences. My advice is to keep the narrowest tire you can mounted on the rears. I believe the TG comes stock with a 205, which is fine. Maybe even a 215 would be okay, but I know some folks running a 195. ALL of these leave plenty of footprint on the road. I think the TG is limited on what profile you can mount in the fender-well anyway.

The early Lehman kits came with a 245/60R15. This was much to large of a tire to have on a light (relatively speaking) trike and it would try and swap ends with you on a wet highway, particularly if the tread had some wear on it. You could really feel the hydroplaning effect in a downpour. I switched to a 205 and have never had a problem since. The trike is lighter than an automobile and cannot keep wide tires in touch with wet pavement. I would also suggest to watch the tread-wear. When they are half-way gone....I'd replace them.

I think you will be fine with what you have like the other folks have reported above. Just don't switch to a wider profile tire and change them a bit sooner than you normally would on your passenger car.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1550vt
i don't have a tg, but the next thing to it...a lehman kitted ultra classic and have had some scary experiences. My advice is to keep the narrowest tire you can mounted on the rears. I believe the tg comes stock with a 205, which is fine. Maybe even a 215 would be okay, but i know some folks running a 195. All of these leave plenty of footprint on the road. I think the tg is limited on what profile you can mount in the fender-well anyway.

The early lehman kits came with a 245/60r15. This was much to large of a tire to have on a light (relatively speaking) trike and it would try and swap ends with you on a wet highway, particularly if the tread had some wear on it. You could really feel the hydroplaning effect in a downpour. I switched to a 205 and have never had a problem since. The trike is lighter than an automobile and cannot keep wide tires in touch with wet pavement. I would also suggest to watch the tread-wear. When they are half-way gone....i'd replace them.

I think you will be fine with what you have like the other folks have reported above. Just don't switch to a wider profile tire and change them a bit sooner than you normally would on your passenger car.
very good point.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I don't have a TG, but the next thing to it...a Lehman kitted Ultra Classic and have had some scary experiences. My advice is to keep the narrowest tire you can mounted on the rears. I believe the TG comes stock with a 205, which is fine. Maybe even a 215 would be okay, but I know some folks running a 195. ALL of these leave plenty of footprint on the road. I think the TG is limited on what profile you can mount in the fender-well anyway.
+1 on what you said. I don't think you could stuff much more than a 205 on a TG. It is difficult enough getting the tires off now.

Quick Reply: Riding in the Rain