Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Hind sight being 20/20...guess another GW trike would have been better, but I still can't stand the foot position of the wing...so, I spent the money on the 2010 TG, guess I'll make it better or sell it...no other choices.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i pretty much agree with all of you ,i really thought the '10 would have been improved and really felt blindsided by the cat, only thing better i can say about our '10 xxx is that the trunk doesnt leak. But as i look back on my past scoots from the oil leaks and constant wrenching on my knuckles and pans to the break downs of the '70s amf shovels and the tweeking of the '80s evos we seem to always overcome the challenge. im working on it now. as a side note its too bad the moco is in denial of our issues.

Last edited by icebite1; 08-20-2010 at 08:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sportster Kelly (05-22-2016)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with you there Icebite1 and I have wrenched on a many shovels and EVO's to make them right and dodge everything the MOCO threw at us. But, back in those days, we could usually do it with a few simple hand tools and parts.

The problem with these new rides is not so much the mechanical issues as it is the things they are trying to make this motor do. Unless you are capable of owning and operating the necessary electronic tuning equipment to overcome some the tuning issues....you are SOL.

And....from what I hear, the fly-by-wire technology is only going to get more complicated and the tuning equipment these guys have now may be obsolete in a year-or-two anyway.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Gear Change

I don't know how much the catalytic converter headpipe added to the cost of the Tri but as far as the rider/owner it added nothing to the Tri's relative value but the heat and low performance. As metric and domestic bikes have went to cats after 2010 in this class, could almost give Harley a pass. They may not under EPA guidlines be able to do much for us with the non converter headpipe. Same with the Cams!

We will just have to eat the extra $459 plus shipping and installation for the catless headpipe and the $450 for the cams if you change the inner bearings and do your own wrenching.

However the gearing does not fall under anything the EPA may have mandated. If Harley was the right kind of corporation, especially after selling us a product this deficient they would retro fit the 11 gear and do the change out under warranty for the customers that bought the 09 and the 10 Tri's.

Their catch up engineering 3 years into a model run left us with a trike that they knew had a lackluster 6th gear and was lazy off the line two up and loaded or when hot.

I expect to see the service bullitin just any day now telling me to bring my Tri in for the 11 gear change.

I know, I know! You all are asking yourselves at this point what color is the sky in the world I live in? I'm not holding my breath for the free gear from Harley!

Last edited by coupe55; 08-20-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Harley
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother always used to tell me that companies were run by accountants. Engineers would get really frustrated 'cause they couldn't build a premium product -- too expensive! I don't know what H-Ds excuse is in this matter.
I still think they could have saved a bundle by using the same two-wheel touring rotors and pads on the TG rear brakes. My 2 cents.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I agree with you there Icebite1 and I have wrenched on a many shovels and EVO's to make them right and dodge everything the MOCO threw at us. But, back in those days, we could usually do it with a few simple hand tools and parts.

The problem with these new rides is not so much the mechanical issues as it is the things they are trying to make this motor do. Unless you are capable of owning and operating the necessary electronic tuning equipment to overcome some the tuning issues....you are SOL.

And....from what I hear, the fly-by-wire technology is only going to get more complicated and the tuning equipment these guys have now may be obsolete in a year-or-two anyway.
I don't mind the wrenching part, I just hate the fact I'm forced into spending money on things I shouldn't have to. It feels like I bought a kit trike with some modification and assembly required. Sad part is once you start improving on the product they want to fight you on any warranty issues you may have. I love Harley, the bike or trike, I just don't have any use for the company.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

23k on my 2009 TG.

Love it!

The following users liked this post:
13RoadGlider (03-20-2021)
Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I don't mind the wrenching part, I just hate the fact I'm forced into spending money on things I shouldn't have to. It feels like I bought a kit trike with some modification and assembly required. Sad part is once you start improving on the product they want to fight you on any warranty issues you may have. I love Harley, the bike or trike, I just don't have any use for the company.
You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:37 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder
Tell em how ya teally feel! lol
Yea, but remember, it’s going to be a classic.

Jim

Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hot collectable's

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Yea, but remember, it’s going to be a classic.

Jim

I have an old Tappan gas Range, Circa 1950, when the Tri obtains classic status, I'll have two ovens to display!

Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners