Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Old 11-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraV
I'm considering a new Tri-Glide. I'm familiar with the NAV and Rushmore changes and am comfortable with them. Haven't had a chance to ride the Tri-Glide yet. Do they have enough power to go two-up over the Sierras and Rockies? What kind of gas millage do they get?
A little late in responding to your question but the answer is "yes", there is plenty of power. In late July my wife and I took a three week, 5,800 mile ride from Texas up through Colorado, Montana, Idaho and a few other states, then to Alberta and up the Ice Field Highway to Banff and Jasper; back down and then through British Columbia to Oregon and then back home. US Rockies and the Canadian Rockies. Never had a problem on any of the roads, elevations, etc. Rocky Mountain Natl Park across the summit, Glacier Nation Park to the top, and lots of nice twisty and high elevation roads in the Canadian Rockies. I came off of a 2011 Ultra Limited and have to admit that I missed the lean in the curves but other then that, it was a fantastic and comfortable ride for both of us. At my age (70), the legs just didn't want to support the bike, fully loaded, and two up when really going slow and/or stopped. I have to admit that being able to just set comfortably at stop signs and intersections without having to hold it up became a pleasure from the get go.

Last edited by Oilcan; 11-06-2016 at 10:06 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Oilcan:
davep1313 (06-06-2017), Hogdoc45 (11-20-2016), Kip Rouse (07-28-2017), Marks628 (08-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:01 AM
Hogdoc45
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I will have to say that going from 2 wheels to 3 wheels was the best decision for me and my wife. I am 59, so I had no problem holding up the Road King. I have no physical issues that would warrant the change. We just thought of our future and our love for riding and wanted to make this transition while we could afford it, to ensure comfort and stability for the future. After having my 2017 Tri Glide Ultra for over a month, I will say it was the best decision for us. We love our trike. We love the stability, comfort, and the M8 107 engine is more powerful than my 2008 Road King 96 engine. I love the way it turns and corners on a dime and I love the stability I feel in all weather and road conditions. I will never go back to 2 wheels and am always excited when I get to ride.

The following 7 users liked this post by Hogdoc45:
Clint44 (07-26-2017), davep1313 (06-06-2017), f27897 (01-23-2022), Kip Rouse (07-28-2017), Marks628 (08-21-2017), rowan (07-10-2017), sullyj020 (11-20-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:53 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

That has been my reaction. The long trips this past summer to the Pacific coast could never have been made on two wheels with my leg issues. Even locally in stop 'n go traffic or at a rr crossing my legs would start to go numb.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:56 PM
Sacro
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 anniversary #214 triglide is an awesome bike quick responsive fly by wire and the zeppelin seat makes the long one easy. Would trade it for anything... stage 1 powerboat duels width wide band oxygen sensors for the auto tuner power commander 5 great set up to mod with I had it at 109 today with three 110s eyeballing it owning 3 ultras and a q0 year histone the trike is perfect for this 64 you couple.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM
TriRider16
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love our 16 Tri Glide Ultra

Love our Trike. Last bike was a Yamaha 80 back in 1975-76. It's a 16 Tri Glide Ultra. 103. Billet Black and Silver. 2 miles on it. The wife said pick one on the showroom floor. So I returned the favor and said anything you'll feel most safe and comfortable on. Now 1yr 2wks later and 14,862 miles.
Had the leaking thermostat on the first 500 miles, fixed. Now it's in the shop for a water pump. Warrented so that's good. I've heard a lot lately on these pumps, especially on 14's where as "they should almost be a recall", yet also talking to a few other dealerships and riders, the percentage isn't high enough. We'd all like to think, especially with HD today and the sticker price that nothing should go wrong, but fact is something will on anything, house, car or bike.
Like other reports on trikes, I don't see a problem of sluggish on take off. Light turns green and I'm gone. Even on red light turns and in a hurry (which we shouldn't be anyways, but with traffic, you know) It'll want to lift and slide the front if I give it to much. I also don't see a "to much heat problem" either. I actually like the What I believe to be heat from the engine, it constantly reminds me I'm on my Harley. So it was all stock, while in the shop for the pump I'm also getting the simple stage 1 on it. Again I feel it's great now, I just do want that little bit of extra sound, nothing dramatic, and air flow. I just met 2 riders during last week's ride at DC's Rolling Thunder. (which was by far the best 5hr wait, 20 minute memorial ride we've been on) that have just that, stage 1, cross pipes ect.. So, long enough speal on this. All be good and ride on safe.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:38 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Drove over both with the wife on our '14, fully loaded. The power did drop off a bit above 7,500 feet, but not significantly. My phone app says 33.36 mpg average over the 14 thousand miles we've ridden it.
What a relief to see a couple guys getting realistic mpg.PV says I'm almost identical for over 5k miles. Never did drive anything oem or modded that got better mpg than everyone else.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
davep1313
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TriGlide

Originally Posted by dj50950
I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2011 Tri Glide. Looking for some feedback both pro and con.
I have a 2010 TG & I have have enjoyed riding it a lot, I have no problems with mine so compared to the other comments I'm luck, but still wouldn't change my ride

Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 PM
TriRider16
1st Gear

I have a 16 TG ultra. Love it. If the 11 your looking at hasn't been in the shop for a bunch of things (give the v.I.n. to a service department) you should be ok.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 trike upgrade

I only have a little less then 3000 miles on my Trike. Did not enjoy riding due to high exhaust temps and when hitting a bump with my wife on the bike, we would bottom out and hurt our backs. Did not ride much, which is obvious to the low mileage. Well I decided that if I want to enjoy the ride I would have to modify the suspension and get more power. Trouble passing trucks on the freeway, felt like a VW trying to pass vehicles going up a grade. Had Performance Choppers in El Cajon , San Diego make the mods. Progressive adjustable hydraulic shocks did the trick. Removed the stock exhaust and installed Vance and Hynes 4.5 inch pipes. All I can say is I now have a Trike that can keep up with most other bikes and it rides like a Cadillac. Just a old man trying feel comforrtable on my trike. Engine runs much cooler.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bucket list Trike:
Kip Rouse (07-28-2017), SpringerRider (09-21-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM
TriRider16
1st Gear
Default Same here

The heat doesn't bother us that much. Yes a hot muggy slow town traffic day does, but what can you do on those days?. And keeping up with other bikes or passing wasn't much of a problem. Granted a couple friends have stripped glides ect. and they're bullets, but we do carry a lot more weight (sometimes double) on the same engine. I had HD Bowling Green Ky. Do stage 1 with Vance & Hines pipes. Love the performance difference, and it also took away a lot of heat. Bumps, yeah the big ones jolt, but I find keeping the shock at 35-40 psi all the time helps. Not ready for that upgrade yet.
Glad your changes are making you happier and enjoy riding more, riding is supposed to be enjoyable, so yes anyone should mod anything (within reason of course) to make that happen. Ours is now 14 months old and 18,750 miles.
Yeah we ride!!!

The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (09-21-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners