Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2010 T.G. Squealing Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 T.G. Squealing Rear Brakes

Does anyone know if there's a cure out there for these rear brakes on the T.G.
My wifes 2010 T.G. brakes squeal almost everytime you come to a stop.
When we went to try the trike out before even buying it the brakes made a squealing noise. Dealer said would go away after a few miles, well after 2100 miles there even worst.
Had it into the dealer today, said they had the brakes off twice cleaned and scuffed the
pads. (hard to beleive) took the bike home pulled into the garage brakes were just great
Squealed like pig.
I decided to pull the rear wheels, cleaned pads and rotors with brake cleaner, for brakes
just being cleaned and pads scuffed twice, cleaned alot of brake dust off, I wonder
whos brakes they cleaned and scuffed.
Also pad and calipers on these trikes are about the cheapest looking set up I've ever seen ,
I can't beleive Harley could put something that cheap on a 30,000 plus bike.
I hate to go with after market pads, as I just got done dumpng 1700.00 on a headpipe, A/C
mufflers and race tuner to help get rid of some of the heat and get a little more performance, now the brake issue, wish the company would step up to the plate and
do something. Other than having poor performance and bad rear brakes the trike is very nice to ride, but not close being worth the 30,000 price tag they have on these things.
Harley needs to start standing behind there overpriced product. I will be going back to the dealer to see what they are going to do next. will most likely get the old " that is a normal
on the tri glides"
So if anyone has had the same problem and H.D. got the problem solved would sure like to
know what they did.
any advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the "rant" club! lol! Most of us have complained about some sort of rear brake squealing since day one. Yes, the rotors are small and cheap. My biggest complaint is lack of stopping power. After 6000 miles my parking brake won't hold so I don't use it. I know there is a tedious adjustment but I'm not doing it until I feel the pads need replaced. Then I will try the '11 pads because they have a larger footprint than stock. If they are crap, then I'll go with Lyndall pads.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 PM
03 Softail
Cruiser

I know we could possibly go with the bigger pad off the 2011 ot the Lyndale pads,
but I guess what really gets me is they know of these problems, and if they have
corrected the problem on the 11's, wouldn't you think they would have a recall or
something to take care of the issue on the 09 and 10, but with them it seems you have to fight for everything. Wish the saleman would tell you about these issue before you buy,
but then he would probably never sell a bike.
Well I'll be going back to the dealer next Tuesday and see what they want to do next.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM
robandlyn
Road Master
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

The 2011 are no better mine started squealing right away.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

Mine squealed from day one, I would hold the brake in for a while when I took off to warm it them up but soon give it up. Tried the brake clean, just figure a hog has to squeal.

Waiting to see if the 11 upgrade works before I waste my time.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Wow, they more I read here about the problems with the TG, the more I think about sticking a for sale sign on mine and cut my losses before I dump a ton of money ( not like I haven't already) in this and still have a sub par product....

But to the subject of the post, I was on the Honda trike forum and this was stated by a trike installer reference Honda brakes squealing, might work for us all....

"But try removing the pads and chamferring the edges all the way around slightly."

Last edited by Casper; 09-01-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I belive rear brake squealing is pretty much a common thing for a Harley. Pretty much every HD I owned the rear brakes squealed so I put Lyndall pads on them and problem went away.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I belive rear brake squealing is pretty much a common thing for a Harley. Pretty much every HD I owned the rear brakes squealed so I put Lyndall pads on them and problem went away.
That is very true all of mine has had that.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

this is what I don't understand, if using Lyndale brakes and the squealing goes
away, why can't Harley stand up and take accountability of their problem with these brakes
and get a fix.
Maybe Harley should get a contract with Lyndale for their pads, and have a recall on our
T.C. and repair these brakes under warrenty, but it's always the owner spending the money
to correct the companies problems.
I hate to keep complaining, but when they have a price tag of 30,000 plus, they should
make it right.

Quick Reply: 2010 T.G. Squealing Rear Brakes