Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I sometimes wonder when these Spyder discussions come up if it is not just a feeble attemt at geeting some freebee advertising for a lacklluster product. I have not googled it but am wondering if they even have their own Forum. An experimental fluke in the market right now with no real place in the Tri Glide forum.

The Trike forum where we just moved from and is all trike inclusive would be a better fit to promote the Spyder. Although on a Harley forum I don't think it is totally appropriate there.

In short until that contraption garners enough interest to get it's own forum I'm not into giving them any free advertising. If it was U.S. manufactured and in the same class I would not be so leary of spyder talk on a Harley forum.

Put the wheels where they are supposed to be, stick an S&S engine on it and bring it back when you got something in the same class.
I totally agree with you.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
mvengineer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes wonder when these Spyder discussions come up if it is not just a feeble attemt at geeting some freebee advertising for a lacklluster product. I have not googled it but am wondering if they even have their own Forum. An experimental fluke in the market right now with no real place in the Tri Glide forum.

The Trike forum where we just moved from and is all trike inclusive would be a better fit to promote the Spyder. Although on a Harley forum I don't think it is totally appropriate there.

In short until that contraption garners enough interest to get it's own forum I'm not into giving them any free advertising. If it was U.S. manufactured and in the same class I would not be so leary of spyder talk on a Harley forum.

Put the wheels where they are supposed to be, stick an S&S engine on it and bring it back when you got something in the same class.
Mr. Coupe 55
For your information, as you were inquiring, Spyder owners do have a forum too with hundreds of very active, helpful and very nice members. If you care to go there the address is: spyderlovers.com. Many members of that group have Harleys too and I am sure they will welcome you. Hope this helps you.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the Info

Originally Posted by mvengineer
Mr. Coupe 55
For your information, as you were inquiring, Spyder owners do have a forum too with hundreds of very active, helpful and very nice members. If you care to go there the address is: spyderlovers.com. Many members of that group have Harleys too and I am sure they will welcome you. Hope this helps you.
There is a reason I did not google it, I have no interest in it. If it ain't built by U.S workers, I don't want it. Didn't mean to sound short but this is the second Cam Am Spyder thread on the forum. I'm sure that now the people that have an interest in it can now go to it.

Different class, different Trike and it's been talked to death on here! If you want to push a Spyder, the Spyder forum would be the place to sing their praises! I would rather push my Harley as buy one...just sayin!

and you are correct, I'll never win a conjeniality award on here!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was I whom opened this particular thread

There is a reason I did not google it, I have no interest in it. If it ain't built by U.S workers, I don't want it. Didn't mean to sound short but this is the second Cam Am Spyder thread on the forum. I'm sure that now the people that have an interest in it can now go to it.

Different class, different Trike and it's been talked to death on here! If you want to push a Spyder, the Spyder forum would be the place to sing their praises! I would rather push my Harley as buy one...just sayin!

and you are correct, I'll never win a conjeniality award on here!

I opened this particular thread out of my appreciation of getting frank feedback from the folks that had something to share. As a current owner of a much
loved HD Softail Custom, it was natural for me to bring my questions to a Harley Davidson forum. I sure am pleased because I received wonderful feedback that answered all my questions. I came to the right forum and got excellent feedback. Thanks all!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple_Daze
I opened this particular thread out of my appreciation of getting frank feedback from the folks that had something to share. As a current owner of a much
loved HD Softail Custom, it was natural for me to bring my questions to a Harley Davidson forum. I sure am pleased because I received wonderful feedback that answered all my questions. I came to the right forum and got excellent feedback. Thanks all!
I'm not sure a HD Tri Glide forum was the correct place to get advice on a Spyder. We own TG's and not Spyders and basically I don't care to know the differences. This will certainly be the last time I read this thread as there is no value in it for me.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Barbra, I agreed with you up until the last sentence in which you referenced foreign sports cars and Corvettes. I don’t understand what you are implying?

Jim
Jim,

Just my personal opinion....buy a VW (Spyder) or buy a Corvette (Tri-Glide). Guess I'll bow out of this conversation....it's going nowhere

Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spyder=Snowmobile with wheels!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
Spyder=Snowmobile with wheels!
Thats what they remind me of, can't warm up to the sight of a snowmobile with wheels.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM
oddfire
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Friend of mine bought the RT model CanAm Spyder last June and we traveled to Cody, WY for a week in July. There is no comparison...definite lack of storage space in the Spyder...color selection in the touring model is black, I think...other colors in the less expensive models.You basically get what you pay for in my opinion. The Spyder is lighter, so thru the mountains may have the advantage. They look/feel/ride differently than other trikes. You couldn't even begin to compare it to the HD Tri-Glide. It would be like comparing a small foreign sports car to a Corvette.

You couldn't even begin to compare it to the HD Tri-Glide. It would be like comparing a small foreign sportscar to a Corvette.

If you only knew the specifics of a Spyder, you wouldn't make such an uneducated response. It is the tri-glide that is a dump truck and the spyder a corvette. A tri-glide is sadly not even in the same league as a corvette.

The Spyder is cutting edge technology designed from concept, thru testing and many years of R and D. BRP did it right the first time. The system has ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control, Steering Control and a multitude of technically advanced equipment. The Spyder will easily out corner the tri-glide. The tri-glide is motorcycle butchery at its finest. Hack a set of wheels and differentials on a Harley and call it good. They do the same concept to scooters like the Suzuki Burgman. Unstable engineering, unstable product and unstable results. Being able to drift a tri-glide on a corner amounts to nothing but lost traction and loss of forward speed.

The Spyder is equipt with a detuned Rotax 990 V twin, which is also found in many European sport bikes like BMW, Aprilia, etc. That detuned motor produces over 100 hp and 85 ft.lbs of torque. It will smoke a tri glide, without even trying.

While the tri-glide is an HD, it is still based on antiquated steering and suspension concepts. It can never rival the Can Am in technology or performance. The tri glide is a good touring machine. The Can Am is a good machine whose time has arrived.

It is hard for you to compare a tri-glide to a Spyder, when you have driven a dump truck and never known the superior attributes of a Spyder or any other technically advanced machine....Oh and another thing..I think red sypder will be faster than the black one. I hope next year pastels come to season, that will make the spyder even faster!

Cheers!

Oddfire

The following users liked this post:
Rafkin (06-25-2022)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by oddfire
You couldn't even begin to compare it to the HD Tri-Glide. It would be like comparing a small foreign sportscar to a Corvette.

If you only knew the specifics of a Spyder, you wouldn't make such an uneducated response. It is the tri-glide that is a dump truck and the spyder a corvette. A tri-glide is sadly not even in the same league as a corvette.

The Spyder is cutting edge technology designed from concept, thru testing and many years of R and D. BRP did it right the first time. The system has ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control, Steering Control and a multitude of technically advanced equipment. The Spyder will easily out corner the tri-glide. The tri-glide is motorcycle butchery at its finest. Hack a set of wheels and differentials on a Harley and call it good. They do the same concept to scooters like the Suzuki Burgman. Unstable engineering, unstable product and unstable results. Being able to drift a tri-glide on a corner amounts to nothing but lost traction and loss of forward speed.

The Spyder is equipt with a detuned Rotax 990 V twin, which is also found in many European sport bikes like BMW, Aprilia, etc. That detuned motor produces over 100 hp and 85 ft.lbs of torque. It will smoke a tri glide, without even trying.

While the tri-glide is an HD, it is still based on antiquated steering and suspension concepts. It can never rival the Can Am in technology or performance. The tri glide is a good touring machine. The Can Am is a good machine whose time has arrived.

It is hard for you to compare a tri-glide to a Spyder, when you have driven a dump truck and never known the superior attributes of a Spyder or any other technically advanced machine....Oh and another thing..I think red sypder will be faster than the black one. I hope next year pastels come to season, that will make the spyder even faster!

Cheers!

Oddfire

Lets see, your first post, you drag up a February thread and bash the Harley TG on a Harley forum...DUH!

If you like a CanAm, by all means knock your self out and buy three of them...what would we care. But the orginal poster ask a bunch of Harley TG owners what we though about the Can Am vs the TG....what did he or you think the response was going to be? We all would jump in and say, " Gosh, we coulda had a CanAm"...?\
Ask the same question on the CanAm board...think they'll say no, should have bought a TG????? Not hardly...

I'm in no means bashing the Can Am...cool motorcycle, but if I had wanted one that's what I would have bought....I wanted a TG and that's what I bought....ask me if I should have bought anything else and the answer would be the same....no!

Some people crack me up.....

sorry for the rant....

Quick Reply: HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder