Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:54 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
There is a reason I did not google it, I have no interest in it. If it ain't built by U.S workers, I don't want it. Didn't mean to sound short but this is the second Cam Am Spyder thread on the forum. I'm sure that now the people that have an interest in it can now go to it.

Different class, different Trike and it's been talked to death on here! If you want to push a Spyder, the Spyder forum would be the place to sing their praises! I would rather push my Harley as buy one...just sayin!

and you are correct, I'll never win a conjeniality award on here!
In today's America you must be very limited in your purchases since even "Made in the USA" products have a high content of foreign made parts.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by oddfire
The Spyder is equipt with a detuned Rotax 990 V twin, which is also found in many European sport bikes like BMW, Aprilia, etc. That detuned motor produces over 100 hp and 85 ft.lbs of torque. It will smoke a tri glide, without even trying.

While the tri-glide is an HD, it is still based on antiquated steering and suspension concepts. It can never rival the Can Am in technology or performance. The tri glide is a good touring machine. The Can Am is a good machine whose time has arrived.

It is hard for you to compare a tri-glide to a Spyder, when you have driven a dump truck and never known the superior attributes of a Spyder or any other technically advanced machine....Oh and another thing..I think red sypder will be faster than the black one. I hope next year pastels come to season, that will make the spyder even faster!

Cheers!

Oddfire
Pretty porky coming right out of the box throwing stones, especially dredging up an old thread to do it in. Now to Spyder vs Triglide, I actually have read the specs sat on one and kicked the tires and maybe some day I might take one for a ride just to see what its like. Tell you what you bring your Spyder to my neck of the woods and we'll get a strap and tie them together and I'll take your Spyder for a drag around the block, if its still in one piece we'll line them up and I'll show you what low end torque is all about while I dust your butt in little drag race. I'm pretty sure I might be able to hang with you in the twisties also. While you were thumping your chest and spouting off HP and TQ numbers you failed to mention the HP number is at 8,500 RPM and the TQ is at 6,250 RPM, not what I would call real good off the line or away from a stop with 2 people on board and a full load of gear. Now why don't you be a good little boy and skitter off into a dark corner and lick yourself.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

A friend of mine bought one in Tampa last Jan. Been back to dealer6 times for different issues. 7 months ownership/ 2 months laid up in dealership. Thanks, but I'll pass.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Pretty porky coming right out of the box throwing stones, especially dredging up an old thread to do it in. Now to Spyder vs Triglide, I actually have read the specs sat on one and kicked the tires and maybe some day I might take one for a ride just to see what its like. Tell you what you bring your Spyder to my neck of the woods and we'll get a strap and tie them together and I'll take your Spyder for a drag around the block, if its still in one piece we'll line them up and I'll show you what low end torque is all about while I dust your butt in little drag race. I'm pretty sure I might be able to hang with you in the twisties also. While you were thumping your chest and spouting off HP and TQ numbers you failed to mention the HP number is at 8,500 RPM and the TQ is at 6,250 RPM, not what I would call real good off the line or away from a stop with 2 people on board and a full load of gear. Now why don't you be a good little boy and skitter off into a dark corner and lick yourself.
Let's also add a trailer and two up in the mix. See who has to stop and fill up first.
I like the Spyder. Just wish they would put a touring motor in it and change the siting position.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keystone
Let's also add a trailer and two up in the mix. See who has to stop and fill up first.
I like the Spyder. Just wish they would put a touring motor in it and change the siting position.
Funny you should mention that. That is exactly how he travels is two up and pulling a trailor.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ridden and sold Spyders for a dealer friend.Here is what I know.They are here to stay.Bombardier owns the snowmobile and watercraft markets WORLD WIDE.

They are after the motorcycle market with the Spyder.My dealer friend sold 46 units of 20 grand or more in the month of May.He actually sold out.They are electronically amazing and have some troubles,but most have been corrected.They are fast safe and the public either likes them or not.Women buy them ,seniors buy them,first time bike buyers see the safety aspect and buy them.You can tow with it under warranty.

When I chose my TG it was because it was classic HD and I would still buy one.If I wanted to pull a trailer,go fast,long range tour,or have a year round vehicle it would be a Spyder RT.

But I like shorter rides,posin and the exhaust note of my nostalgic pizza oven.

BTW Mitt Romney owns 51% of USA Spyder,bought it cheap and is making millions.Subaru may launch a trike as well as Yamaha soon.

They have a heat issue like us,they can go fast stop safely for thousands less and have a much better warranty.

TG lover,
T K

Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Being a strong advocate of Bombardier (we have a pair of 155hp GTI-SEs) and a Speedster boat, we had to try them. Like PULMR said, they are the crotch rocket of trikes. Fast, nimble, lot of fun to ride. BUT seating position is really uncomfortable for an old fart like me. Wife didn't like it either. I can't comment on the storage, for years we rode Softails and Dynas, made many a long trip with everything bungee corded to the back of the seat. All this space available on the Tri-Glides boggles the mind! Also can't fault the Rotax engines. As badly as we have beaten the Seadoos they just keep running!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

As for my post, I was bashing the poster for his remarks not the Spyder itself.
My son has a riding buddy that rides a Spyder and loves it...and good for him. He bought what he liked and his having a ball with it. Life would be very boring if everyone rode a blue TG....spice of life and all.
I'm sure the Spyder and the other models are going to be around for a while...the RT looks interesting but like others, I like the old Harley look...I had two Goldwings trikes, great machines but I hated the foot position for the driver....
Even looked at the Victory trike, but passed because of the little trunks in the rear....

Bottom line is buy what ever YOU like, not what I like....they are all good...I just like mine better.....

Now, don't you all run out and buy all the blue TG's up....

Last edited by Casper; 08-17-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
As for my post, I was bashing the poster for his remarks not the Spyder itself.
My son has a riding buddy that rides a Spyder and loves it...and good for him. He bought what he liked and his having a ball with it. Life would be very boring if everyone rode a blue TG....spice of life and all.
I'm sure the Spyder and the other models are going to be around for a while...the RT looks interesting but like others, I like the old Harley look...I had two Goldwings trikes, great machines but I hated the foot position for the driver....
Even looked at the Victory trike, but passed because of the little trunks in the rear....

Bottom line is buy what ever YOU like, not what I like....they are all good...I just like mine better.....

Now, don't you all run out and buy all the blue TG's up....
I think your bike is just plain gorgeous and runs a close second to mine.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deja Vu all over again

It seems as if we have had this advertisement thread/conversation for the Spyder before. If Victory makes a trike I may take a second look at it, ain't gonna buy no Jap Trike or one not American made "even if half the parts are outsourced" an American worker gets to assemble it.

Mitt is good as cannibalizing companies and selling them off when they have a bad year also, don't feel good about the support on a Trike he builds. That's what he does for a living and downsizing is his middle name! I would rather ride my old oven than cost another American Worker their Job!
I don't promote Jap or foreign made Trikes on a Tri Glide Forum!

Quick Reply: HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder