Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Do you ride a trike differently...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,227 Likes on 10,247 Posts

On a 2 wheeler, I rarely if ever use the rear brake.
On a Trike, attempts at sudden (panic) stops using front brake only, will result in the front tire locking up, and sliding. Learn to use the rear brakes.
Ride it like a 4 wheeler. Lean to the inside and be careful your front wheel doesn't loose traction taking turns at high speed.

The following users liked this post:
BADBONES (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM
BADBONES
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah i get that man!!! Picturing it is ugly too!!!! Good thing i bought my first quad in 2014 and got really good at it!!

Old 01-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Nice to see we are still doing the right things

Welcome to the three wheel world you have been given great advise. Don't ride faster than your skill level and go by yourself back roads big empty parking lots etc. In no time you will be just fine especially have ridden a quad for a period of time. Just pay close attention to fuel Islands and such. Other than that ride the dickens out of that thing and enjoy post a few pictures of it we like pictures. ride safely fearless

Old 01-10-2017, 06:05 PM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

In addition to the great advice, I'll add the following. Whenever you can safely change lanes prior to a curve in the road, especially a tight one, take the inside lane. Doesn't matter if the road curves right or left, you want to be on the inside lane.

If you are not in the inside lane and you try to keep up with traffic, the forces want to throw you off the trike so you must slow down and/or hang on for dear life.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeff53404
In addition to the great advice, I'll add the following. Whenever you can safely change lanes prior to a curve in the road, especially a tight one, take the inside lane. Doesn't matter if the road curves right or left, you want to be on the inside lane.

If you are not in the inside lane and you try to keep up with traffic, the forces want to throw you off the trike so you must slow down and/or hang on for dear life.
Wow what tire pressures are you running? I just have not seen those issues curious. Ride safely fearless

The following 2 users liked this post by Fearless (old nickname):
Oogie Wa Wa (01-14-2017), Recan (02-22-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBONES
thanks to all of you, i am in the process of converting my 97 flstc into a trike now with a dna kit i purchased from art in motion in florida with a few hurdles to jump over due to a miscommunication. I did have a voyager training wheel kit on there before which i felt was a death trap having kept the center wheel, but i do feel that the centrifugal force in the turns is very similar with the exception that the center wheel sometimes comes off the asphalt too and when in gravel the drive wheel could dig in leaving you stranded like in my driveway so that thing is gone! My only concern here is a solid axle not independent suspension which i would have loved to afford
Welcome to the world of three wheels!

You can get a pretty good ride...close to IRS quality...out of a solid axle if you use some good rear shocks, and front suspension. Check out these articles-

Front Suspension LINK

Rear Suspension LINK

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
On a 2 wheeler, I rarely if ever use the rear brake.
On a Trike, attempts at sudden (panic) stops using front brake only, will result in the front tire locking up, and sliding. Learn to use the rear brakes.
Ride it like a 4 wheeler. Lean to the inside and be careful your front wheel doesn't loose traction taking turns at high speed.
I know exactly what you mean! It took me a long time to learn to use the rear brakes when riding the trike. I still use my front on the Trike, but also the rear. That was probably the biggest learning curve I had on the trike. Already had the steering nailed down from riding quads so much.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
jeff53404
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
Wow what tire pressures are you running? I just have not seen those issues curious. Ride safely fearless
Whatever is in the manual. If I'm approaching a tight turn and the signs says 35 mph, I can comfortably do 45-50 if I'm in the inside lane. If I'm in the outside lane, I'm probably 35 or slower.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master

Whatever is in the manual. If I'm approaching a tight turn and the signs says 35 mph, I can comfortably do 45-50 if I'm in the inside lane. If I'm in the outside lane, I'm probably 35 or slower.

may consider a little less air in the rear tires. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I will tell you I do not see much difference in side or out side of turns Old Shiney and I scoot right around the corners like we have rails. just sayin. side safely fearless

Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 AM
jeff53404
Tourer

I'm convinced it's the physics of the cycle. For example, while a vinyl album spins at 33 1/3 rpm, the center area of the record (or CD/DVD) spins slower than at the edge which spins faster. Clothes in a washing machine are thrown outward while the tub spins. There are forces governing bodies in motion but I'm concerned about higher end handling of the trike.

If I take a hi-speed right curve, I am pulled outward. Much less so if I'm in the right lane. Tire pressure will affect traction but not how the body is thrown about.

Moderate turns are not noticeably different but higher speed turns are, especially if the turn is sharp. Unless I want a car riding my butt, I safely try to change lanes.

Last edited by jeff53404; 01-11-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Fearless (old nickname) (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I'm convinced it's the physics of the cycle. For example, while a vinyl album spins at 33 1/3 rpm, the center area of the record (or CD/DVD) spins slower than at the edge which spins faster. Clothes in a washing machine are thrown outward while the tub spins. There are forces governing bodies in motion but I'm concerned about higher end handling of the trike.

If I take a hi-speed right curve, I am pulled outward. Much less so if I'm in the right lane. Tire pressure will affect traction but not how the body is thrown about.

Moderate turns are not noticeably different but higher speed turns are, especially if the turn is sharp. Unless I want a car riding my butt, I safely try to change lanes.
I understand what you're saying. The extra lateral pull outwards that is felt can be reduced by several factors...

Lower tire pressure
Lower PSI in the shocks
Leaning/shifting body weight to the inside of the curve
Using trail-braking

But I think it all comes down to reducing the roll of the Trike...by this I mean the flatter the Trike goes thru the curve, the less it feels like it the rider/passenger body will be pushed to the outside of the curve.

Near our home we have a very sharp right angle curve (hardly banked at all) that is on a 55 mph road. Before the curve the speed limit is marked 55 mph, as you come into the curve the speed is posted 15 mph, once thru the curve it is 55 mph again.

I normally go thru it at about 20-25. After we upgraded the suspension on our TG I found I can go thru it at 30-35 and feel Less outward pull. This is because the TG is staying flatter (less body roll) as it goes thru the curve.

More info on suspension testing at these links-

Front
Rear

All that said, another factor is apexing the curves...of course, that can make for "excessive" lane changes on multi-lane roads, but it definitely reduces the lateral outward pull. You can see a lot of apexing in the following video.

Fearless (old nickname) (01-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Do you ride a trike differently...