Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Do you ride a trike differently...

Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff53404
In addition to the great advice, I'll add the following. Whenever you can safely change lanes prior to a curve in the road, especially a tight one, take the inside lane. Doesn't matter if the road curves right or left, you want to be on the inside lane.

If you are not in the inside lane and you try to keep up with traffic, the forces want to throw you off the trike so you must slow down and/or hang on for dear life.
I've never experienced this, maybe I'm a loose nut but I normally have to let off so I don't run the car in front of me over. I used to have a 2010 Triglide, it was a pretty simple setup. Tglidestuff rear lift kit, 24 psi in the rear tires, 38 in the front, 35 in the shocks and not a care in the world. I was riding the Needles in South Dakota and spent most of my time slowing down for the cars in front of me. The needles is loaded with different types of corners and switch backs, a pretty fun road if you're looking for a good upper body work out on a trike.

The following 2 users liked this post by msocko3:
BADBONES (01-22-2017), Fearless (old nickname) (01-12-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find that usually I can go thru a corner either direction 5 to 10 miles faster than it is marked and my wife isn't hiting me in the back for going too fast. Learn the pul-push part of stering and lots of practice. I hardly ever use the front brake as I love being able to ster the trike no mater what is hapening and use the front brake for emergency stops if I ned it. I run 22 pounds in the rear and 29 in the front, advice I got from a salesperson at the Lehman trike factory and I like the way the trike rides and handles. I have over 100,000 miles between the two trikes I have had so far. Good luck to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by dw2169:
BADBONES (01-22-2017), Hogdoc45 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 12:32 PM
BADBONES
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering...pcmikey

@ PCMIKEY AWW GEEZ STAY SAFE BROTHER AND THANK YOU...

Old 01-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Hogdoc45
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Sure there is a difference, but one that I adapted to quickly. My wife and I love our TG and she feels so much more secure on it. I am loving the TG in the curves and really do not miss the "leaning" aspect that 2 wheels gave me. I have never had my TG tip or rise up around curves or turns and I am more aggressive on the Three wheels that I ever could be on two.

The following users liked this post:
BADBONES (01-23-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 12:23 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I came from a side car rig which requires significantly more knowledge and skill. The transition to a trike was easy. I have the freewheeler which has a lower center of gravity than the TriGlide and less weight. I was concerned about cornering which is critical in a side car rig. However I soon learned that I could corner as fast as on my bikes.

I must add one qualification and that is I am not that aggressive on any bike.

I lean my body slightly into the turn while my arm on the outside of the turn stiff arms and does all the work of turning force. The opposite arm is relaxed. I do the curves the same as my bike and have done so for a life time. I start at the outside, go to the inside then to the outside. That makes a bigger ark and lessens the centrifugal force a tad.

That has gotten me through 20K of touring since I got it late 14. I don't even think much that I am on a trike anymore except going into a gas station or parking lot. It could be easy to forget how wide your butt is.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-30-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,998 Likes on 6,203 Posts

There is no leaning when turning, which I miss.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Recan
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I've never experienced this, maybe I'm a loose nut but I normally have to let off so I don't run the car in front of me over. I used to have a 2010 Triglide, it was a pretty simple setup. Tglidestuff rear lift kit, 24 psi in the rear tires, 38 in the front, 35 in the shocks and not a care in the world. I was riding the Needles in South Dakota and spent most of my time slowing down for the cars in front of me. The needles is loaded with different types of corners and switch backs, a pretty fun road if you're looking for a good upper body work out on a trike.
I didn't have my Tri Glide when I rode the needles but it was a fun ride. Just might do that one again.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

All great comments - a couple of things..

1: 2014 - 2017 TriGlides have linked brakes, unlike older ones, so front/back usage dynamics are different than non-linked. Some experimentation on loose surfaces recommended.
2: When making turns from a stop, hard acceleration can lift the front end enough to push - you'll go straight until you let off a bit.
3: This might sound obvious, but on big, fast sweeping turns, keep your eyes on the road all the time..... there is a difference from a two wheel bike, the trike will want to go straight and on decreasing radius turns, the need for steering change is all input to the handle bars, unlike a bike with counter steering, lean angle changes. I've just flicked my eyes down to look at the speedo in the middle of a sweeper and felt I was not tracking the curve when refocused on the road ahead....

I have about 10 grand on the trike now, but find I'm learning more every time I ride...

Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by kookie 696969
Also have her keep in mind how much wider the back end of the trike is when she pulls up to the gas pumps.

Great point here...almost cost me a fender when I first started riding TG

Old 02-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterbum46
All great comments - a couple of things..

1: 2014 - 2017 TriGlides have linked brakes, unlike older ones, so front/back usage dynamics are different than non-linked. Some experimentation on loose surfaces recommended.
2: When making turns from a stop, hard acceleration can lift the front end enough to push - you'll go straight until you let off a bit.
3: This might sound obvious, but on big, fast sweeping turns, keep your eyes on the road all the time..... there is a difference from a two wheel bike, the trike will want to go straight and on decreasing radius turns, the need for steering change is all input to the handle bars, unlike a bike with counter steering, lean angle changes. I've just flicked my eyes down to look at the speedo in the middle of a sweeper and felt I was not tracking the curve when refocused on the road ahead....

I have about 10 grand on the trike now, but find I'm learning more every time I ride...
My TG is the same as yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you ride a trike differently...