Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fogrider
26 front, 24 rear, to me 24 is a little more comfortable. On a trip we keep the shock close to 50#, around 30# when were not loaded up
I keep shocks at 50# on trips, 30# when not loaded also.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW,

I'll share this with you all. At 50psi two up, my Trike felt like my first 47 Knuck rigid frame back in 67, no shock dampening at all. After installing Jerry's 1 1/4" lift kit yesterday, I dropped the pressure to 35psi. Finally the Trike felt like it had a working suspension. Even though the roads are fairly flat here in Florida, we do have our potholes, speed bumps and manhole covers. The ride one up home was much more comfortable than before.

That being said, if the weather holds over the weekend I'll experiment with the pressures a bit with wifey on board. Methinks that 50psi is just too much unless you are two up and fully loaded. Otherwise you have absolutely no dampening at all in the rear shocks. It all depends upon the weight being hauled at the time. With a workable combo you'll have real rear shock dampening and the result is better handling.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

36 front and 26 rear, with 50# in shock at all times and all rides.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After thinking about it at times I drop the rear tire pressure to 22# for a better ride and I believe it handles better in the twisties.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

29 in the front and 26 in the back. 30 in the shocks.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
FWIW,

I'll share this with you all. At 50psi two up, my Trike felt like my first 47 Knuck rigid frame back in 67, no shock dampening at all. After installing Jerry's 1 1/4" lift kit yesterday, I dropped the pressure to 35psi. Finally the Trike felt like it had a working suspension. Even though the roads are fairly flat here in Florida, we do have our potholes, speed bumps and manhole covers. The ride one up home was much more comfortable than before.

That being said, if the weather holds over the weekend I'll experiment with the pressures a bit with wifey on board. Methinks that 50psi is just too much unless you are two up and fully loaded. Otherwise you have absolutely no dampening at all in the rear shocks. It all depends upon the weight being hauled at the time. With a workable combo you'll have real rear shock dampening and the result is better handling.
Buddy,

Is your trunk full of "stuff"? I'd be interested in how your ride is w/50# air, fully loaded.

On long trips, I am definitely "fully loaded"....50# suitcase in passenger seat, tour pak loaded to the top, trunk is full all the time (heavy stuff; i.e., tools, air compressor, rain gear, trike cover, tp, towel, cleaning supplies). I find that 50# in shocks runs smooth.

Thanks everyone for your input....

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

40 in the front, 22 in rear....30 or 50 in shocks depending on 1 or 2 up

Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Buddy,

Is your trunk full of "stuff"? I'd be interested in how your ride is w/50# air, fully loaded.

On long trips, I am definitely "fully loaded"....50# suitcase in passenger seat, tour pak loaded to the top, trunk is full all the time (heavy stuff; i.e., tools, air compressor, rain gear, trike cover, tp, towel, cleaning supplies). I find that 50# in shocks runs smooth.

Thanks everyone for your input....
Barbara,
Not yet fully loaded, but I would expect to 45-50psi in the shocks in that scenario. As M1 mentioned he reduces the air pressure in his rears a bit too. With my higher rear tire pressures that could be part of the roughness as I'd never thought about that. Good discussion with a couple of different things to try to soften up the ride. We'll see what she is like this weekend two up @35psi and go from there. With a bad back I need to have some kind of dampening. At 50psi like previously stated one or two up the bike felt like a rigid frame with no shocks at all.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wife has 20#s in rear shocks for solo and up to 30#s when loaded for travel, no passengers yet.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Barbara,
Not yet fully loaded, but I would expect to 45-50psi in the shocks in that scenario. As M1 mentioned he reduces the air pressure in his rears a bit too. With my higher rear tire pressures that could be part of the roughness as I'd never thought about that. Good discussion with a couple of different things to try to soften up the ride. We'll see what she is like this weekend two up @35psi and go from there. With a bad back I need to have some kind of dampening. At 50psi like previously stated one or two up the bike felt like a rigid frame with no shocks at all.
Riding 2 up and loaded to the gills I run my shocks somewhere between 43psi to 45psi.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure