Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Can the Trike be left at stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the Trike be left at stock?

Hi everybody,

I've read all the threads and it all seems quite overwhelming the work y'all have put into your trikes to get it just right.

Thing is, I just bought one for me and my daughter up here in Canada. I take possession next week. I've only added a few things for safety and comfort: handlebars changed, raise passenger floor boards, extra headset extended warranty.

I've left the bling out for now, and can add it when I can afford it.

Any modifications, anything I have done, the HD shop will have to do, as I can not, so that means money for the parts and money for the labour.

Can the Trike not function well enough as it is? Is it really necessary to change rims for pitting, and remove or fix emergency break, or change the way it functions so it gets better fuel, and exhaust as it runs hot.

Doesn't the 2011 have most of it's bugs out of it?

I am not a mechanic. I just want to ride and have fun with my daughter.

To read all the posts makes me nervous that I bit off more than I can chew.

What can I expect from the Trike once I get it? And I leave it alone?

I know folks like to add things, change things, personalise things, but for me, and I am asking honestly, what is necessary and what is not?

I have enough worries and I had hoped our new toy wouldn't be one of them...?

Warm regards,

Purple_Daze

Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purple,-YES leave it stock,my friend has an 11,I have a 10 his is quicker ,cooler and you can personalize it later.Put like maybe 2000 miles on it and by then you will know what add ons you want.

When you change your bike it actually hurts the value,so for right now just ride it.Your goon luv it.

T K

Old 05-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Rifleman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rest easy, it will work fine as stock. I have 5,000 miles on my 2011 which is stock with the exception of a couple of some simple add ons. The parking brake is still on the bike and my wife's right foot does get hot, but all is well.
Having ridden for the better part of 50 years I did go to three wheels last August. I enjoy reading about the upgrades and the techical knowledge that contributors to this site share, but I figure I already spent enough and my stock bike has been a rather good surprise. It will run 80 on the interstate and I get between 35 and 40 miles to the gallon depending on how far I twist the throttle. The intercom and stereo system are the best of any bike I have had, and that is quite a few.
Just ride and enjoy.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, leave it as is. Up in your neck of the woods, I don't think you see a lot of hot summers(?) so heat on the legs shouldn't be a big issue. After about a few thousand miles of break-in, you will notice it even runs better. Just ride and have fun!!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

As others have said leave it stock and ride it. Put some miles on and form your own opinion on whether or not something needs changed. Your ahead of the game with the 2011 because it has much more favorable gearing which is a huge plus.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think where you live you will be very happy.They have made some changes since they first came out that make it a fine trike. Enjoy it with your daughter and don't worry about it, you made a good choice. Some of us just can't keep our hands off of things.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leave it Be

As has already been said, your geography and climate may let you enjoy the Tri without having to worry about the heat beast! That bike has the right gear and performs well right out of the box.

May seem a little hot during break in as everything is tight and new! Give it a couple of thousand before making any quick judgements. One cheap mod you can do and still have a Tri in stock configuration is wrap the header pipe from the Catalytic Converter up to the heads with high temp header wrap. Use a good high temp sealer and if you take your time you can do it with the pipes on the Tri. Most effective thing I have done for heat reduction from the header pipe and converter!

After you enjoy it for awhile, you may not even have the need for the cheap mod!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
mvengineer
Advanced

My tri glide performs perfectly for my style and purpose in riding. It exceeds my expectation all the time being stock as far as engine, exhaust, power,handling, brakes, etc, etc.
I spent money only on comfort (back rest), style ( leather seats and bags), chrome here and there for looks and that is it. Most importantly , I ride it and enjoy it every opportunity I get. Dont worry not being a mechanic, neither am I and dont care to be one. That is what dealers are for. Have fun.

Last edited by mvengineer; 05-11-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I strongly suggest is not to ride the TG with shorts on. Jeans is the way to go and possibly along with chaps.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Default Thanks...

I thinkmi have accumulated all the research and made my choices I am comfortable with. Now, I just gotta ride it! The pull back handlebars are back ordered so it will be a couple weeks before I get my butt in the saddle. Warm regards everybody!

Ride safe

Quick Reply: Can the Trike be left at stock?