Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil

I have tried 3 oil coolers on my 2011 Triglide that were worthless, one with a fan that actually raised the temp 13 degrees. I have a Dakota Digital instrument that is somewhat accurate. In a quest to keep the oil temp under 230, without doing something drastic and ugly I have been looking for the best oil cooler and I think I have found one I am happy with. I have been in touch with Marv at Jagg for several months and waiting for the new 10 row dual pass with a fan. In earlier discussions with Marv I have learned a lot about cooling the oil and how coolers are manufactured. I was so frustrated that he actually was going to purchase one of his competitors units I had removed just to test it. It took 6 weeks but the other manufacturer did gave my money back with the pressure of the retailer helping. The retailer no longer carries that brand after checking my facts on it raising the temp of the oil as he was running one on his trike with out a way to check the actual temperature. He now has a Jagg 10 row dual pass with fan on his trike also although he has it in a chin spoiler. After testing the Jagg unit, it will hold the oil below 230 at 70 mph highway speeds pulling double on a 100 degree day. Nothing else has come close. The stock unit on the 2011 Triglide would hold around 260 in the same conditions with the mods I have on the trike. That is with Amsoil syn and K & P filter. I think the real trick is in the oil filter adapter which they (JAGG) wants you to use. It runs the oil through the filter first then the oil cooler, Just backwards from Harley and other after market units. This improves the flow greatly and cools the oil just before sending it back. Filtering after the cooler would heat the oil some before sending it back. The trike has Woods 555 cams, directional lifters, Thundermax, Fuelmoto headers ceramic coated, V&H Monster Rounds, Doherty Machine Power Pack ac. This Jagg unit just out is a quality made unit in the US of A, and looks as good as it works. It was a snap to put on and had quality fasteners with it. Every thing fit as they said, it is not the cheapest but it is the best I have tried and I am impressed with the quality and looks. I feel you get your moneys worth. There is a retailer and sponser on this forum that could attest to these facts if he wishes to post. Thanks, Jerry

Last edited by Dogdaz; 07-30-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogdaz
After testing the Jagg unit, it will hold the oil below 230 at 70 mph highway speeds pulling double on a 100 degree day. Nothing else has come close. The stock unit on the 2011 Triglide would hold around 260 in the same conditions with the mods I have on the trike. That is with Amsoil syn and K & P filter. I think the real trick is in the oil filter adapter which they (JAGG) wants you to use. It runs the oil through the filter first then the oil cooler, Just backwards from Harley and other after market units. This improves the flow greatly and cools the oil just before sending it back.
I got the old jagg 10 row with the Arizona Fan kit, so far so good and a lot cheaper! I have hit 245 on real hot days in traffic but with the oil I run and no more than I have done it, I believe i will be ok..oil analysis looked good so I'm not frying my oil....

Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new fan with everything needed for an install is $507.80. Is it $500.00+ better than the oil cooler that comes with the bike?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
The new fan with everything needed for an install is $507.80. Is it $500.00+ better than the oil cooler that comes with the bike?
I doubt it very very much!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Default Oil Cooler Worth

I have a lot of years building motorcycle engines, started racing in 1961. Seven years professional, I have built a lot of air and water cooled engines. Twenty degrees makes a big difference in any engine but it is everything in an air cooled engine. I can not begin to make you understand the difference of what comes out in the oil in an air cooled engine, every degree matters. I have a friend who is a tech at the harley shop I do business with, his bike is 4 yearts old and has 112,000 miles on it and still runs perfect. The difference is oil, keeping it clean and cool. It is a stock 96 and his success is clean cool oil. Its your engine treat it the way you like, you don't have to believe me but their are people that just like to maintain their equipment the best they can. I am one of them and putting good info on the forum is why some of us are on here. Of coarse there are others who just like to complain, but they have a right to be here also. If you don't like the info don't read it. Thanks, Jerry

Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I got the old jagg 10 row with the Arizona Fan kit, so far so good and a lot cheaper! I have hit 245 on real hot days in traffic but with the oil I run and no more than I have done it, I believe i will be ok..oil analysis looked good so I'm not frying my oil....
I think you have the best of what there was available at the time, I wouldn't change mine either. Now if I was in the market for a new cooler I'd be looking real hard at the cooler the OP is using. To date I haven't been over 245 on my oil temp with the Jagg 10 row and no fans. I've been in some killer traffic jams on some pretty warm days, the devil is in the details of the tune.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Yikes!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought my inquiry was a legitimate question. My 2011 FLHXXX is bone stock. I live in Arizona and its HOT. I have bought lots of Harley accessories that are similar to the one the OP mentioned that actually raised the temperature. It's easy to make advertising claims. I know the Harley oil cooler is a relatively well made and efficient cooler for what it IS. The question was is it worth $500.00 to upgrade the Harley cooler? Is the Jagg that much better? Not trying to pull anybody's chain, just trying to avoid wasting more money on things that have minimal or no effect but cost lots of money. If during the Arizona summer the new cooler will absolutely and consistently drop the oil temp from 270 drop to 230 then that would be a worthwhile mod. If it can only drop the temp from 270 to 265 while sitting at a stoplight in 110 degree weather, then I have better things to spend my money on.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I thought my inquiry was a legitimate question. My 2011 FLHXXX is bone stock. I live in Arizona and its HOT. I have bought lots of Harley accessories that are similar to the one the OP mentioned that actually raised the temperature. It's easy to make advertising claims. I know the Harley oil cooler is a relatively well made and efficient cooler for what it IS. The question was is it worth $500.00 to upgrade the Harley cooler? Is the Jagg that much better? Not trying to pull anybody's chain, just trying to avoid wasting more money on things that have minimal or no effect but cost lots of money. If during the Arizona summer the new cooler will absolutely and consistently drop the oil temp from 270 drop to 230 then that would be a worthwhile mod. If it can only drop the temp from 270 to 265 while sitting at a stoplight in 110 degree weather, then I have better things to spend my money on.
Many debates and discussions on this subject over many years, the simple answer is at idle, even with a fan, it has nominal effect, regardless of how or when you test it. Use good oil, change it often and idle as short of time as possible and do not blurp your throttle at idle on fuel injected models. Short answer to your question, NO. Some even will state that when it is colder, a cooler can due more damage then good.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Default Cooler worth

Like you I have spent way too much money on my toy, and where does it stop? But bothus (and that is a correct word in the south) should spent the money on necessary mods first and bling second. I questioned it also even just using the cooler and not the filter adapter afterall I have an adapter on the bike. The answer to this is what temp do I want my engine to run and how do I get there. There art a lot of threads on this and other forums on how to reduce temperature, with some good but expensive info. I have spent a lot of money on darn oil coolers and other ways to lower the temp. Getting the right thing the first time is the cheapest way out and that is why I try to give others the benefit of my stupidity to save them the cost and effort and heart ache. There are people on this forum running a $450.00 oil cooler that raises their oil temp and they don't know it. Sad but true and there are a few good techs on here that share the wisdom just to help. I think lowering the oil temp 20 to 25 degrees is a good investment at $500.00 after what I have tried that didn't work. Do I think it is expensive, hell yes. Will it add longevity to your engine, absolutely. Would I do it again, yes. Can I get the same results and quality for less, no. The cooler on the trike is a reasonable unit, and lowers the temp10 to 15 degrees. Is that enough? Not when the way we pick our units up at the dealer it will run 300 degrees on a 100 degree day. Lowering the temp is the most discussed topic on this forum hands down. Did not mean to be brash, just a tired old man whos money comes hard like most and trying to save others from wasting their money and time. Thanks, Jerry

Quick Reply: At Last An Oil Cooler That Actually Lowers The Temp of The Oil