Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TRI-GLIDE problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Jular2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an 2011 Tri-Glide--my wife rides it as I have a 09 Screamin Eagle Ultra. She has 11,000 miles and no brake issues other than parking brake not working which the dealer5 fixed. The trike was 1" lower on the left side and that was corrected by loosening the body from the frame and re-aligning. The trunk never leaked. We just made a 2800 mile round trip from Florida to NY and back with no issues.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
bakerb59
Stage II
Default TriGlide

Funny you should ask, I've had nothing but trouble with my Tri-Glide. I'm not a happy camper. Mainly it has been brake issues and all has been covered by my dealer however it is now at the point they hate to see me coming and putting me off. So what to do, make documentation in the event something terrible happens with the brakes while I'm riding.

I've also had the loose screws and a bad oil gasket. I kept telling them something was wrong but they wouldn't listen until I had oil all over the under part of my bike. Go figure.
Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
Hey tri-gliders!

I was just wondering what you guys are seeing with problems on these models.
I service 3 of these and all have some sort of issues.
So far i have seen:
Steering damper leaking
3 oil cooler mounts getting loose
all 3 had the transmission trap door bolts loosen up and the exhaust mount bolts fall out.
Left side mufflers hang down a slight bit more than the right side
Shift arm on transmission loosening up
all 3 needed rear rotors/pads at 4k-8k miles.
starter was loose
exhaust bracket at rear of trans case bolts falling out
parking brakes not working
reverse assembly loosening up

Do you guys see the same things as i do? Are my customers beating on these things? (I know they are a ton of run to ride)
I dont seem to see all the same things on 2 wheel bikes, but i was just curious. Once i fixed the issues, they didnt seem to come back at all.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I have about 5k miles on my 2011 and am very pleased with its performance. Only concern is heat on right leg, but I often ride in shorts...need to wear the big boy pants, I know, I know. Am thinking about developing a leather right leg partial chap that would quickly fasten on my right calf and upper thight, fastened by velco. Am going to take an old leather jacket and have it made. that might save my right leg and add enjoyment to riding more.
Diesel Dawg,

They've already got knee chaps. I bought a set in Maggie Valley at a leather shop. They come up to just above the knee and have a piece of velcro and a strap to cinch em in place. They are also zippered in the back. I'll post a picture the next time I put em on. They have save my right leg more than a few times.

Bubba

Old 08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
RedneckHarleyGirl
Stage I
Angry TRI-GLIDE problems?

I am having a 2nd head replaced on my Tri-Glide!!! This is the second time the engine mount bolt has sheered off in the head!!! The mount has been replaced 6 times!!! According to the mechanic at Outpost Harley Davidson in Pueblo, CO there is a design flaw in the engine mount!!! The spacer isn't welded to the mount causing excessive vibrations!!! I will be calling area Harley dealers and finding out how many trikes they have had with the same problems then calling Harley corporate!!! My trike will be down for at least 21 days and the heads are on back order til at least 21 August 2013!!! I am also considering calling the Consumer Product Safety Commission if they do not do a voluntary recall on the Tri-Glide for the engine mount problem!!! I am not a happy girl and with as much as it costs to purchase a Tri-Glide... I will be for making sure it gets fixed and my engine is warrantied for life!!! This last head has less than 2400 miles on it and the bolts were checked 3 weeks ago when I had it in for service!!!

Last edited by RedneckHarleyGirl; 08-18-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...I bought my t/g in 09....in the first year I had one head bolt to mount bracket back out about three times total....while on the road in texas the bolt fell out and I noticed the threads on the head were stripped...stopped at HD in Lubbock....the warrantied a repair on the bike...they removed the head and performed a thread welding on the head...(not a heliarc) but something like it...I think it is called "line sert" ..I arrived around noon...and they finished the bike by ten the next morning...they were real good....and so far the bolt has not backed out !!!!!!!..I now have over 41 thou on the trike...the HD shop in Lubbock is great !!!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Geesh, this thread is from 2011....started reading the first entry and now see peeps responding!! Doesn't anyone look at the start date of threads anymore?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Geesh, this thread is from 2011....started reading the first entry and now see peeps responding!! Doesn't anyone look at the start date of threads anymore?

I agree! God forbid someone actually has to type a new thread. I saw one the other day pulled up from three years ago.

Bubba

Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckHarleyGirl
I am having a 2nd head replaced on my Tri-Glide!!! This is the second time the engine mount bolt has sheered off in the head!!! The mount has been replaced 6 times!!! According to the mechanic at Outpost Harley Davidson in Pueblo, CO there is a design flaw in the engine mount!!! The spacer isn't welded to the mount causing excessive vibrations!!! I will be calling area Harley dealers and finding out how many trikes they have had with the same problems then calling Harley corporate!!! My trike will be down for at least 21 days and the heads are on back order til at least 21 August 2013!!! I am also considering calling the Consumer Product Safety Commission if they do not do a voluntary recall on the Tri-Glide for the engine mount problem!!! I am not a happy girl and with as much as it costs to purchase a Tri-Glide... I will be for making sure it gets fixed and my engine is warrantied for life!!! This last head has less than 2400 miles on it and the bolts were checked 3 weeks ago when I had it in for service!!!
Its an issue, I would caution everyone to check the tightness of their bolts from time to time. What happens is the bolt loosens up which allows the engine to move around and breaks the bolt. In some cases the bolt just falls out vs breaking. Last year my dad had both bolts break, last month after running 600+ miles I found one of his bolts missing and the other backed out. We stopped at a hardware store where we found parts to patch it up.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:15 PM
KenWalsh101
Stage IV

Ive got the new 2017 M8 with 4000 miles. It was doing great til this past week. Got a mile from the house and engine blew. Under warrenty. They are scoping pistons but cylinder scored up.it was a sudden thing. Went up steep hill to intersection to turn. It idled down to ECT mode while stopped and I applied throttle into turn and all hell broke loose. Went straight back home with it because dealer could not come get it then and told me to take it back home. Harley picked it up two days later. Talked to service manager today wondering if it was compensator and found it to be bigger troubles. The old Dyna never had issues. All this new technology is giving me concerns.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Keystone
Similar story as Casper. Same event. Running up those hills with my 2009 TG I was constantly shifting.Even had to pull a few hills on I90 in WY/MT in 4th.

After 29,000 miles I changed the sprocket to the 30 tooth. Just returned from Strugis. Ran across I90 at 65-70 mph in 6th gear @2700-2900 rpm. Never had to downshift at all. AND my mpg was right at 36-37. Last year the same trip was 28-30 mpg do to all of the downshifting and grabbing throttle to make it up hills. The price to swap out the sprocket will quickly be payed for in fuel savings alone.

So is it worth swapping out on the 09/10's? No doubt about it.

I have not ever heard anything about changing the sprocket to a 30 tooth until reading all the posts here. I have a 2016, help me out here and explain what exactly you are talking about. Which sprocket and where is it located, do you have a part number by chance. Any information would be appreciated especially if it would help the power going up-hill and the fuel savings. Thanks.

Quick Reply: TRI-GLIDE problems?