Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trickster for waterplaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickster for waterplaning

I am having trouble getting on this site to post as I can't reset my password. However, I found my iPhone remembers the password, so I can post from the phone.

Last fall, in a very heavy downpour, my 8 year old daughter and I were heading for a huge Toy Charity Ride

Travelling below the speed limit and on the throttle with a constant speed, the tail of the trike violently fishtailed from left to right. Both my daughter and I ride horses, so we sat balanced. No sooner did we regain straight position and the hind end violently swung again

While the hudroplaning was happening, A voice whispered in my mind to "continue to steer the handlebars where you want to go. Keep eyes focused on where you want to go. Keep pressure on throttle...don't do anything else and God will have to look after us"

I will never ride the trike in a heavy rain again. It's just not worth it.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PURPLE DAZE: Thank you for sharing that experience. I will think of it if I ever encounter that kind of weather. Ride safely.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Depending on road condition, tire pressures and speed hydroplaning can happen whether your on a bike, trike or driving a car. I've only had it happen one time to me on a Triglide and I was riding my dads at the time. I was taking it to the dealer in a heavy down pour and had the back end step out on my once, just a little wiggle which was corrected pretty easily by removing a little throttle. I've ridden 2 and 3 wheels in some pretty heavy rain, sleet, hail and a touch of snow with no issues except that once. This past summer I put a couple thousand miles on riding in everything from light rain to down pours while going 70 - 75 mph and at times pulling a trailer with no issues, not to say it won't happen, just one of those things when your 1,000 miles from home and trying to get some place.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

There was too much rain that day. I've enjoyed the trike in very tight hairpins, going up and down mountanous, wilderness remote areas and never had any trouble.

There was the time I had to break hard and I found the trike didn't stop as quick or as hard as my softail. That day, I learnt to ride with more distance than I would on 2 wheels.

:0)

Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I slid around a little in a very heavy rain. Just enough to get my attention. Probable won't stop me from riding in a rain if caught by surprise. Each case is unique.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

It hasn't happened to me (yet). Thanks for the warning.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been very fortunate as it hasn't happened to me yet. I sure hope it doesn't as I run pretty fast in the rain.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

I had that happen to me on my Valkyrie Lehman trike. I have learned to anticipate standing water, if possible. I will coast through standing water and let off of the throttle. It keeps the single rear wheel from pulling and lets both wheels rolls in sync. It works for me, but it can be scary, so I prefer not to ride in rain, if possible. The main thing is to always be aware of the possibility of the fishtailing, and then not panick. Not panicking is extremely important.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

Thank you for your posts. As I had my daughter and I was rolling along at just under speed limit, the fish tailing was hard and sharp. I didn't panick, but my heart stopped beating. But my daughter just stayed still A good lesson.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you are carrying a precious cargo like that you need to be careful

Quick Reply: Trickster for waterplaning