Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Interesting, either the heat won't bother it or PM doesn't have enough of them out in the market to have them fail from the heat, It will be interesting to see how close mine ends up being, I'll post up pictures when I get to installing it.
Yeah, when I was running around on Thursday the rear brake pedal did get soft and I suspected it was more air so yesterday brother and I bled the brakes again and found no air in the system so I'm thinking heat did have an affect on it. On the bottle of DOT4 brake fluild says the boiling point is 311* F.
With the header installed you'll need to modify a hex wrench cause the screw closes to header is hard to get at. I had to cut about half the length off the short end of the hex wrench in order to get to the screw and with the heat shield on it's even harder.
Butch

Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
Yeah, when I was running around on Thursday the rear brake pedal did get soft and I suspected it was more air so yesterday brother and I bled the brakes again and found no air in the system so I'm thinking heat did have an affect on it. On the bottle of DOT4 brake fluild says the boiling point is 311* F.
With the header installed you'll need to modify a hex wrench cause the screw closes to header is hard to get at. I had to cut about half the length off the short end of the hex wrench in order to get to the screw and with the heat shield on it's even harder.
Butch
I started messing with mine today, and found the master cylinder is just as close to my Jackpot head pipe as it is to your Fullsac X pipe and your factory head pipe. I wonder if the member who goes by Eagle1 has any issues with braking and how close the head pipe is to his. I won't have any issues with the hex wrench since I used extended hex wrenches that are in sockets for the ratchet, I even have them in ball end. You can see one of them laying on the lift in this picture.

How did you adjust the part that connects to the break peddle, I see it turns and has a jamb nut so I'm assuming you have to adjust this for peddle travel or placement? I do think for grins I'm going to jump over to PM's site and do a little whining about how close the MC is to the head pipe.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I started messing with mine today, and found the master cylinder is just as close to my Jackpot head pipe as it is to your Fullsac X pipe and your factory head pipe. I wonder if the member who goes by Eagle1 has any issues with braking and how close the head pipe is to his. I won't have any issues with the hex wrench since I used extended hex wrenches that are in sockets for the ratchet, I even have them in ball end. You can see one of them laying on the lift in this picture.

How did you adjust the part that connects to the break peddle, I see it turns and has a jamb nut so I'm assuming you have to adjust this for peddle travel or placement? I do think for grins I'm going to jump over to PM's site and do a little whining about how close the MC is to the head pipe.
Yeah I have the same hex set but for some reason I didn't think there would be enough room with the one so close to the header.
Brake pedel connection; I threaded the jam nut all the way to end of the threads next to master cylinder then did the same with the brake pedel attachment device tell it was against the jam nut. That gets the brake pedel away from the header and I didn't it having any problem with the pedel travel and lowering the pedel abit. Yeah I think I'm going to say something on PM's sight also. Oh, the way the spacing is about 3/16", I said 1/4". Here's another picture of the set up of HD header with PM master cylinder.
Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000725-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000726-640x480-.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah I have the same hex set but for some reason I didn't think there would be enough room with the one so close to the header.
Brake pedel connection; I threaded the jam nut all the way to end of the threads next to master cylinder then did the same with the brake pedel attachment device tell it was against the jam nut. That gets the brake pedel away from the header and I didn't it having any problem with the pedel travel and lowering the pedel abit. Yeah I think I'm going to say something on PM's sight also. Oh, the way the spacing is about 3/16", I said 1/4". Here's another picture of the set up of HD header with PM master cylinder.
Butch
Sometimes I'm dense, when you was talking about hex bolt I forgot there are hex bolts that hold the master cylinder top on. Now I see what your talking about cutting down the wrench, I think I might be able to use the ball end that I have or I'll cut one down like you have. I'm hoping I'll get the time to finish mine up next week.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Sometimes I'm dense, when you was talking about hex bolt I forgot there are hex bolts that hold the master cylinder top on. Now I see what your talking about cutting down the wrench, I think I might be able to use the ball end that I have or I'll cut one down like you have. I'm hoping I'll get the time to finish mine up next week.
Don't feel bad I'm the same way and it could have been the way I explanded it. I have a hard time explaining things in writing. I tried expressing my dissatisfaction of the Master cylinder design on PMs sight but couldn't find a contact section so I'll give them a call,"again."
Butch

Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Default Performance Machine's Rear Brakes for Tri-Glides

M3, I did email PM's tech today expressing that I wasn't happy with their design and included 5 pictures, three of PM's master cylinder installed on the trike with the stock header and two of HD's master cylinder, one installed and one laying is pan.
Butch

Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

M3, I did email PM's tech today expressing that I wasn't happy with their design and included 5 pictures, three of PM's master cylinder installed on the trike with the stock header and two of HD's master cylinder, one installed and one laying is pan.
Butch
It'll be interesting to see what they say and how long it takes for them to get back with you, I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I'm starting to get the feeling that some of these after market manufacturers march to the beat of a different drum. I wanted to install a different front axle so after looking I choose the Yaxle made by Paul Yaffe, nice looking piece. As luck would have it I happened to get the defective one.

I sent them an email and the reply was oops we had a few get out that where to long, you could either send it back and we'll send you another one or just sand .125 off of the side. I called them and said how about you send me a new axle and enclose a call tag in the box and I'll send the other back once I install the new one, they didn't find that acceptable. So the next thing I tossed out was how about I give you my credit card number and you send me the part with the call tag and I'll send the defective one back, they said ok.

Then the fly hit the windshield, I had to get my card and call back. When I called back I talked to someone different and once he got up to speed he ask me where I bought it from, so I told him. After searching in his data base he couldn't find that place and they have a policy they won't exchange anything unless they can verify where it came from due to counterfeiting. What a big pain in the ***, now I twist in the wind waiting for them to investigate. They did however repeatedly try to get me to sand the extra off the one I have. Once I get clear of this land mine I know I won't buy any more of their products, to much drama.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I did get an email today from PM Tec rep that I sent the pictures to, he said that he will give the pictures to R&D and he will let me know what they have to say.
If you haven't found out yet, you may need to modify the brake pedal to be able to attach it to the PM master cylinder as I did. I have the chrome extended brake pedal and I had to notch part that attaches to the master cylinder. Here are a three pictures showing what I have done.
I curious to how you come out with your project.
Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000727-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000730-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000729-640x480-.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 03:02 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I did get an email today from PM Tec rep that I sent the pictures to, he said that he will give the pictures to R&D and he will let me know what they have to say.
If you haven't found out yet, you may need to modify the brake pedal to be able to attach it to the PM master cylinder as I did. I have the chrome extended brake pedal and I had to notch part that attaches to the master cylinder. Here are a three pictures showing what I have done.
I curious to how you come out with your project.
Butch
Glad you got a reply from them, I've only received silence. Thanks for the tip on the brake peddle because I have the billet one and will have to do that modification.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Glad you got a reply from them, I've only received silence. Thanks for the tip on the brake peddle because I have the billet one and will have to do that modification.
My pleasure

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes