Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

I just installed Performance Machine's Stage 1 brake kit for the Tri-Glide and it works great, but one problem, PM's master cylinder is all but touching the header, I'm using Fullsac's header. The back of PM master cylinder's reservoir is about 1/4" from touching the header. I'm told that they designed they're master cylinder with the HD stock header in mind and not the after markets header.
Do any of you experts see a problem with this the header setting that close to the header? I think the boiling point for DOT 4 is about 400 to 500 degrees.
I would sure hate to put the stock headers back on to keep the new brakeing system, but it's looking that way.
I've included three pictures of the set up. The master cylinder is using the same mounting holes that the old HD master cylinder used.

Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000698-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000699-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000702-640x480-.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Thats close, I'm going to be interested in how mine will fit with the Jackpot head pipe. If I run into that I'll buy a 09 non cat head pipe and put bungs in it for my O2 sensors. I figure I could locate them up steam enough so I wouldn't get any cross talk or hurt the sensors. You may want to contact PM and see what they have to say about how close it is.

Last edited by msocko3; 03-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
Thats close, I'm going to be interested in how mine will fit with the Jackpot head pipe. If I run into that I'll buy a 09 non cat head pipe and put bungs in it for my O2 sensors. I figure I could locate them up steam enough so I wouldn't get any cross talk or hurt the sensors. You may want to contact PM and see what they have to say about how close it is.
I had been talking to one of the rep about it and he said that they were to HD's specks and I asked if it were to design specks or to valume specks and he said that they were to volume spects, he said volume specks, I said that Harley's master cylinder keeps the reservoir forward and almost into the lower fairing and all I got was that the are to HD's specks, then I asked what if I could us HD's master cylinder and was told no cause they're hole or piston coming out (I think that's what he's talking about) of the master was not big enough.
Anyway I thought I would give everybody a heads up.

Butch

Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
I had been talking to one of the rep about it and he said that they were to HD's specks and I asked if it were to design specks or to valume specks and he said that they were to volume spects, he said volume specks, I said that Harley's master cylinder keeps the reservoir forward and almost into the lower fairing and all I got was that the are to HD's specks, then I asked what if I could us HD's master cylinder and was told no cause they're hole or piston coming out (I think that's what he's talking about) of the master was not big enough.
Anyway I thought I would give everybody a heads up.

Butch
Don't get me wrong, I do like the PM brake setup, the calipers have two set of pistons with two sets of brake pads, one set of pads per set of cylinders in one caliper. The other is I have better rear brake control which would be most important with pulling a loaded trailer, but then again it's easier to lock up the rear wheels to, but you do have better oscillating control when hard braking. I guess I've talk my self into putting back the factory headers.
Butch

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't get me wrong, I do like the PM brake setup, the calipers have two set of pistons with two sets of brake pads, one set of pads per set of cylinders in one caliper. The other is I have better rear brake control which would be most important with pulling a loaded trailer, but then again it's easier to lock up the rear wheels to, but you do have better oscillating control when hard braking. I guess I've talk my self into putting back the factory headers.
Butch
Maybe next week I'll find out if mine will be an issue or not, I know the Triglide they have it installed on has an after market head pipe which looks to be a Wegner X pipe. Their pipe is nice but damn pricey at $1,289, or it could be a Jackpot head pipe just can't tell for sure which.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Use your Hd master cylinder. If its HD specks check the fluid rate at pressure. I bet
its the same .

Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Butch, maybe before you jump-the-gun and go back to stock header, you should take an infrared heat gun and measure the heat at that point after about a 20 minute idle. Isn't that Fuelsac pipe ceramic-coated? Or maybe you could install a piece of heat sink aluminum between the pipe and m.c. Just a thought.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Msocko3....I'll be interested in how you come out with the Fuelmoto header as for spaceing. Got my fingers crossed that everything works for you. If your headers work then I'll order Fuelmoto ceramic-coated header.

tbob....I thought about using my HD master cylinder but was told by the person at PM that it wouldn't work, believe me I would love to hook up the old master, but.

Boom....Those are my thoughts all so, but I don't thing my infrared heat gun will go high enough. Fuelsac is ceramic-coated and I had thought about puting thermo rap on in that area and just might. I am still wanting to hook up the HD's old headers just to see and get pictures. I don't think there is that much of a difference in spacing between HD's headers. But I'll start working on changing things out this afternoon. Right now it's 7:04 am here in Juneau,AK.
Thank guys for your input keep them coming.
Butch

Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

today I installed the HD header and found out that there is not much difference in spacing between Fullsac/HD,s header and PM's master cylinder.
Here are three pictures, first picture is with Fullsac header, note the space between header and PM master cylinder.
Second picture is with HD's header and PM master cylinder
Third is a picture taken with the HD header and PM master cylinder. The mark on the card was made with the Fullsac header and the PM master cylinder, as you can see by that mark that the spacing of the HD header and the fullsac header are the same spacing to the PM master cylinder.
Butch

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000718-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000720-640x480-.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1000721-640x480-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

today I installed the HD header and found out that there is not much difference in spacing between Fullsac/HD,s header and PM's master cylinder.
Here are three pictures, first picture is with Fullsac header, note the space between header and PM master cylinder.
Second picture is with HD's header and PM master cylinder
Third is a picture taken with the HD header and PM master cylinder. The mark on the card was made with the Fullsac header and the PM master cylinder, as you can see by that mark that the spacing of the HD header and the fullsac header are the same spacing to the PM master cylinder.
Butch
Interesting, either the heat won't bother it or PM doesn't have enough of them out in the market to have them fail from the heat, It will be interesting to see how close mine ends up being, I'll post up pictures when I get to installing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes