Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide or trike a bike?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I've had two different trikes, one with a Lehman kit and one with a Champion kit. They served their purpose, but both kits voided the Honda warranty and many dealers across the country would not service them, when even I was in an emergency repair situation...go figure. I learned my lesson and now ride the TG below in my signature. It is the best and handles best, in my opinion. I am getting ready to extend the warranty for another 5 years. The TG is the best trike decision, by far.

Now re: 2013 TG. We don't yet know what the TG will look like in 2013. I hope they are liquid cooled and maybe go to the 110 engine. One can dream, but if they stay the same it is still a great ride.
I am holding out for the 13s...only I want a 13 RG TriGlide...I know I must be dreaming again....

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
It's all money. If you have a fairly new Ultra that is paid for, pretty nearly any Conversion will fit the bill. You do have to dance around warranty issues, but our local dealer does the install on Lehman kits, and will honor any warranty problems Harley or Lehman.

Now, the Voyager. Whole different ball game. You are talking toys. Besides looking awful you end up with a motorcycle with training wheels. I guess if you are really broke and just can't ride that old motorcycle anymore they would be an alternative, but I sure wouldn't do it. Good Luck, and happy decision making.
I have a 2000 Ultra with 77,000 miles (that I'm kinda attached to) but lots of upgrades and it doesn't look its age but sooner or later it will need some serious engine work and I can't justify the expense of doing a trike conversion to it. That was why I was asking about the Voyager Kit.
The Tri-Glide would replace the Ultra.

Even if I decide on a Tri-Glide, I have more two-wheelers that I can ride especially when I ride with my wife.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been looking for a trike myself and after some consideration , i would go for a car based model , i don't like the look of these triglide kind of things or any of the bike based factory 3 wheelers, and unless your disabled and really want a Harley , i wouldn't go near them , i think there bloody ugly and well over priced ,
if your going to sit in traffic , then do it in style JMO

Last edited by MADDOG187; 04-06-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM
gm9
Cruiser

My take would be:
UNLESS you currently have a bike that is paid for, **
AND you are emotionally attached to that bike,
AND you have $12-14 thousand dollars in hand to spend,
AND you absolutely refuse to go in debt, THEN

Buy a Triglide.
You get:
Warranty
Factory rake for stability.
More bang for your bucks.
A NEW bike!

** I'm just saying if you love you current ride, and want to trike IT, go for it. But buying a new Triglide is a better deal. Especially if you find a used one with 690 miles on it from a motivated private owner, like I did.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gm9
My take would be:
UNLESS you currently have a bike that is paid for, **
AND you are emotionally attached to that bike,
AND you have $12-14 thousand dollars in hand to spend,
AND you absolutely refuse to go in debt, THEN

Buy a Triglide.
You get:
Warranty
Factory rake for stability.
More bang for your bucks.
A NEW bike!

** I'm just saying if you love you current ride, and want to trike IT, go for it. But buying a new Triglide is a better deal. Especially if you find a used one with 690 miles on it from a motivated private owner, like I did.

I have disagree with more bang for the buck. I bought my Roadglide and Motortrike kit brand new back in early 2008 one model year before Harley built the first Triglide. I have read about all the Triglide issues since then. Since my Roadglide Motortrike kit has been on the road for 42k miles I currently have, I have had to fix 1 broken brake cable for my rear drum brakes.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been down both roads, 1st was a 2008 Ultra. I bought the Ultra new and had a HD sidecar. It was my second sidecar. Never again. I almost killed myself a couple of times with the sidecar lifting in a right turn, altering my steering and direction. I found myself eye-to-eye with one of those big dogs on the front of a dump truck. After owning the Ultra for two years, I added a Roadsmith kit. It worked really well. I also installed a Champion Easy-Steer and I thought it handled very good. Last month I traded it in on a 2012 TG. I was almost yelling YIPEE on the way out of the dealer's parking lot. There is no comparison, period. The 2012 is a much better handling ride. It isn't quite as smooth and comfortable as the Roadsmith adds 10 inches to the wheelbase. So far I'm not regreting my trade.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM
gm9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I have disagree with more bang for the buck. I bought my Roadglide and Motortrike kit brand new back in early 2008 one model year before Harley built the first Triglide. I have read about all the Triglide issues since then. Since my Roadglide Motortrike kit has been on the road for 42k miles I currently have, I have had to fix 1 broken brake cable for my rear drum brakes.
I'm happy that you are emotionally attached you Roadglide. Its a nice looking ride. But I bet you have considerably more in it than the $30,500 MSRP of a new Triglide.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

32k when first bought

Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

32k when first bought
That price is quite reasonable, and quite competitive.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

32k when first bought
That's really not a bad price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri-Glide or trike a bike?