Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide or trike a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The only reason I would convert my 2000 FLHT Standard to a trike vs buying new is the converson gets me Independent suspension which Harley does not have or offer. This alone will improve the ride by 140%.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by st john
The only reason I would convert my 2000 FLHT Standard to a trike vs buying new is the converson gets me Independent suspension which Harley does not have or offer. This alone will improve the ride by 140%.
Whether an independent rides %140 better that a straight axel is also a matter of opinion. I have ridden both of them and both have their trade offs.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM
RideCSC
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
It's quite obvious Jim he does not have a clue what he is talking about. People like that scare me.
I'd bet the farm that I've ridden more different trikes than every person who's commented on this thread thus far combined.

People who think they know everything and haven't touched anything other than a triglide reinforce the Harley rider stereotype to the "T".

Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RideCSC
I'd bet the farm that I've ridden more different trikes than every person who's commented on this thread thus far combined.

People who think they know everything and haven't touched anything other than a triglide reinforce the Harley rider stereotype to the "T".

Well what do you think IRS or Solid .........?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Whether an independent rides %140 better that a straight axel is also a matter of opinion. I have ridden both of them and both have their trade offs.
Oldmsocko and the trade offs would be...........?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:31 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RideCSC

So now you know that you have ridden more different trikes than anybody on this thread. People you do not even know or met. And your telling US to Wake Up????

Old 05-17-2014, 12:17 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
So now you know that you have ridden more different trikes than anybody on this thread. People you do not even know or met. And your telling US to Wake Up????
RAP you know there always has to be one who has gone farther faster than the rest. I just love the busted Triglide transmission cases comment, they must all be riding them down pot holed dirt roads. Both the straight axle and IRS kits bolt to a swing arm which in turn has a rod that passes through bearings and bushings on each side of the frame and through the transmission case. As for ride quality, its up to the individual experiencing the ride. I've ridden both solid axle and IRS, the IRS is a touch softer riding but not night and day different.

I understand why Harley went solid axle, it has a heck of a lot less moving parts which means less inventory and lower overhead. What it all boils down to is a coin toss which one is better.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain

Msocko how are you liking your wing ? I have only ridden a 13 Tri and lately a 14 Tri...the 14 is a lot nicer to me than the 13 was...I ask cause I was looking at a 14 Wing w/Hannigan in Chattanooga at Southern Powersports in candy apple red and had to pull myself away from it...at 58 I only want to do this once...

Old 05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hard Ride
Msocko how are you liking your wing ? I have only ridden a 13 Tri and lately a 14 Tri...the 14 is a lot nicer to me than the 13 was...I ask cause I was looking at a 14 Wing w/Hannigan in Chattanooga at Southern Powersports in candy apple red and had to pull myself away from it...at 58 I only want to do this once...
I'd check it out in 2 steps, if you can still ride 2 wheels see if you have a place close at hand that rents the newer wings, rent one and ride the snot out of it. The final step is if you liked the Wing you rented see if you can ride a Hannigan equipped Wing.

When I made the switch I used Eagle Riders to locate a Wing rental close to me, 72 miles was as close as I could come to pick up the rental. I then rented the 2012 Wing they had for 2 days and proceded to ride the snot out of it with my wife. Once I was convinced I wanted one I then bought a new 2012 and road it for a year 2 wheels. As luck would have it the dealer I bought the Wing from also was a Hannigan installer, they took a new 12 they had just converted out and let me ride it, I was sold.

I took my Wing right to the Hannigan factory and had them convert it. I've only managed to get about 1,200 miles on it since I triked it, everyone of them have been great, I don't regret my change. The one thing I will say is the stock seat sucks, my *** would be on fire in 25 miles with that sucker. I ended up dropping $1,000 and having Daylong work their magic on it. I will also say the Wing is just plain bigger than the Harley touring line.

When I rented the Wing I road my 06 Ultra to the dealer I was renting the Wing from, they stored my Harley while I took the Wing. After putting 500+ miles on the Wing I got back on my 06 Ultra, it felt like I was riding a Sportster.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 PM
BornTexan
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been riding for 64+ years and not about to stop now. 2 years ago I developed Parkinson's and started experiencing balance issues. So much for 2 wheels. Stated researching converting my '12 Ultra. Warranty issues being set aside by the time you change out the triple tree, add reverse and increase your lazy motor to something that will pull the additional weight you're looking at $2800-$3000, if not more, doing the work yourself. Now add a conversion trike unit (MotorTrike $16,500 not installed) you've got nearly $29,000-$34,000, if not more and you still have an older bike.

Big thing was when I did an analysis using KBB and NADA figures on depreciation computing from 2009 to date. Figured you loose between 24%-28% on a conversion vs 4%-8% on a Harley Tri-Glide plus, like somebody said, you have a warranty. Now MotorTrike does have a limited 3yr-60,000 mile warranty but don't know the definition of "limited".

8~\o

Last edited by BornTexan; 08-25-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide or trike a bike?