Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New TG guy in a couple of days, hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New TG guy - UPDATED w/ pics!

Put a deposit down on a new black 2012 Tri-Glide today and hope to pick it up Tuesday. I'm trading my two current Harleys, a 2003 FatBoy and a 2011 Dyna Superglide Custom. The reason for the delay is that I have to go down to our place in FL to retrieve the Fattie. The FXDC is here in GA and I'll drop it off on the way out of town.

It was time. I knew this was coming and hoped I could hold it off, but a 10 year old total hip replacement and two knees that need replacing too dictated otherwise. I've never worried about going down the road, but rather it was being dead stopped at a light, or backing up, etc. that did me in. Both my wife and I are heavy and I just no longer felt secure stopped.

So here's my question: I've never ridden a trike but I'm 62 and am celebrating my 50th year of active riding, so can I just jump on this thing and go if I'm careful and use common sense? It's about a 50 mile trip home, mostly interstate and I've read here about the "learning curve". I'm not even positive it'll fit on my trailer.

Speaking of trailer, here's one more question. Can you just tie the trike down securely against the front without a chock, or do I need to have a chock?

Thanks all.

OK, as promised here are a couple of pics.

It's still dirty from the rainy trip home last night but you get the idea.

Last edited by dondee; 04-18-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: pics added
Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Can't answer to the trailering, haven't done it YET Seems to me a strap on the front wheel, and maybe 2 on the rear axle should do it.

When we bought wife's '09 Trike, a couple of laps around the parking lot and she was good to go. 45 miles, mostly canyons and twisties. 2 weeks later it was off to Las Vegas, 300 miles mostly freeway. She was 55 and just completed Chemotherapy. I on the other hand had a bit more trouble. After open heart surgery valve replacement I decided it was time. Bought wife a new '11 and I inherited her '09. Took a while to learn that leaning does nothing. Then there was the thing about splitting lanes (legal here in California, just not practical when you are 4' wide. Ditto gutter running, and sidewalks are definitely a no-no. We have nearly 30,000 miles on the 09, and 10,000 on the 11. We don't have any heat problems, the scoots are basically stock. Just changed the mufflers and intake. Enjoy it!!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just watch you dont bottom out the tail end of the mufflers.When and if you trailer it. Like Screwball said you should be able to ride her home just ride it around the parking lot and take er easy. Cograts enjoy be safe

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 AM
gm9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 've had mine a whopping 3 weeks or so. Even though folks warn you about handling different and stuff, its really like riding a two wheeler except a few things that make it easier. The hardest thing to remember is you don't have to put you feet down when you stop. Steering is different but you'll get the hang of it instantly. At highway speeds, the steering seems more responsive and tends to dart back a forth, but again you'll quickly get the hang of it, too. Holding your pushing arm straight helps make it steer a little easier. Enjoy the new Trike.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Having owned four trikes I'll say they are different, not harder, just different.
Can you just jump on and ride home,,yeah..I guess you could. You did say common sense, that will go a long way...

First, you drive a trike, not so much ride it...push left,it'll go left...no counter steering on a trike. You're a lot wider( no, not making fun of you ) but remember the fenders sticking out in space...lots torn off at gas pumps...(ouch!)

The trike, due to size, weight and those fenders hanging out there in the wind, will not be quite as responsive as a two wheel bike, not much..but don't think you can whip,out there and pass like a 2wheeler...

It's a little harder to dodge those things in the roadway, junk people throw out, rocks, old car parts etc....so watch ahead a little more...you'll get the hang of dodging things...it's and art....

Others than a few things like this, it's a blast....take it slow and easy, sort of like us "seasoned" riders....slow and easy...but fun to ride! Hey, did I say that?

Be safe, make some laps in the parking lot if you can, get used to pulling and pushing to turn....

Oh, stop at a grocery store on the way home....buy one sack of lemons....they help to get the silly grin off your face from having way too fun on these,puppy's....

Pictures, we need pictures!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
HD_Rider
Advanced

It is NOT a motorcycle, so remember that. I like to think of mine as a street-legal go kart!

After riding a two-wheeled bike for many years, you are instinctively going to want to lean into a turn and expect the bike to follow. If you do, you'll be in for a big surprise when the trike keeps going straight. Until you get used to it, you will have to consciously be aware of how to turn the bike by pulling / pushing on the handlebar. Like was mentioned earlier, ride in the parking lot a bit until you learn what you need to do. A trike is a whole new ball-game but after you get some experience, you'll wonder why you didn't go to three wheels sooner.

Also keep in mind you have a lot wider rear end on the trike. Give yourself plenty of room when pulling into the gas station to fill up. When riding on the street, the middle of the road is your friend.

As far as trailing goes, I've never trailered a bike myself but I can tell you that the rear axle on the TriGlide has tie down loops welded on at the bottom of each end. I would think you'd still want to chock the front wheel as well.

You will love that trike. I certainly do mine.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

....when i got mine almost three years ago.....i did not like it much...but with some time...i have come to like it very much....i still have two FL that i ride also ....ENJOY ..

Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ what everyone else said....you'll soon be thinking, why didn't I do this sooner!!! ....more fun than anyone can tell ya. You'll absolutely have no regrets! Enjoy!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master

BLACK is the sexiest...I have had mine for two weeks, put the feet down the first two times trying to ride it in a parking lot, third time was the charm. Rode it home with a death grip on the handlebars. Now, its becoming natural, I love this machine. Be sure to read up on the forum, tons of helpful information. Did I say I love this machine!

Have fun and enjoy the freedom of riding
Karen

Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeet7373
BLACK is the sexiest...I have had mine for two weeks, put the feet down the first two times trying to ride it in a parking lot, third time was the charm. Rode it home with a death grip on the handlebars. Now, its becoming natural, I love this machine. Be sure to read up on the forum, tons of helpful information. Did I say I love this machine!

Have fun and enjoy the freedom of riding
Karen
BLACK is also the fastest.

Quick Reply: New TG guy in a couple of days, hopefully