Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tri Glide Reverse

Has anyone else ever had the reverse not disengage after backing up a slight incline? Wife parked her 2010 nose down in a parking space. Had to back out and when she dropped it into 1st the electric drive was still engaged. Had to bump it back again for it to disengage. This has happened twice now. Is this normal if backing up a slight grade? Seems if on flat ground it never happens.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had it happen to me.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Has anyone else ever had the reverse not disengage after backing up a slight incline? Wife parked her 2010 nose down in a parking space. Had to back out and when she dropped it into 1st the electric drive was still engaged. Had to bump it back again for it to disengage. This has happened twice now. Is this normal if backing up a slight grade? Seems if on flat ground it never happens.
Happened to me once about a year ago on my 2010 when I was backing up a slight incline. Felt like brakes were locked when I drove forward, which they weren't. Finally broke loose once I headed farther down the grade. Hasn't happened since but I don't backup inclines anymore. Reverse motor has been OK ever since.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

Yea I am sure what is happening is the "starter" gear on the reverse motor did not retract and was still enguaged in the teeth of the drive pully. Maybe the gear shaft needs a little lube. Let it slide back out of the way. Got about two weeks left on the warranty so might have them take a look at it before that runs out.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM
jtrissel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine locked up after backing up an incline as well. I should have stopped and lubed, and pushed it in with a drift through the rear spokes. Instead, I put it in gear, and broke the reverse motor. Now, new motor is installed. Trouble is, that's when you really need reverse, when you have to go up an incline!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Backing up a little incline in a campground it stayed in reverse when I put it in first. Realized what had happened and put it back in neutral and tapped the reverse again to get the stress of the gears and then put it in first. Only happened that one time.

Another time I thought I had broke the reverse...was just the circuit breaker....pushed the little lever back in and all was fine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

DK, Yes that is what happened. I talked to my dealer and he is going to look at it under warranty. Said all it probably needed was a little lube on the shaft the gear rides on. Cause other than that everything functions fine.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Seems folks have the same thing in common, backing up an incline. I'd lay odds the reverse gear doesn't retract because it is placed on a bind by the trike wanting to roll down the little incline which is putting pressure on the gear which the spring isn't strong enough to make it retract.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Tjackson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wounder if you could unload it by rocking the trike and applying the brake?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM
joediver1943
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 12 Posts

I also had that happen once. I questioned the dealer and he told me that I may have dropped it into gear before comong to a complete stop. Since then i always make sure not to shift into gear before coming to complete stop. I have never had the problem again but I also do not know that is what caused the problem.

Quick Reply: Tri Glide Reverse