Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Yet another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Riffdog
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another exhaust question

All,

First off, let me say Thanks! to all on here who contribute their knowledge and experience. Have lurked and read a lot but need some advice.

I ride a pretty much bone-stock 2012 HD Tri-Glide. I want to upgrade my exhaust, focusing on sound but any gain in performance and/or heat reduction would be a welcome benefit.

Having read numerous posts here, particularly dondee's experience, I have pretty much decided to go with the FuelMoto headers, PowerVision tuner, but can't decide on the extensions.

Again, my goal right now is LOUD, or at least a LOT louder than stock. I do not worry about the effect after 500 miles a day, etc. because that is not my current riding profile. I would like suggestions from those in the know how to get the most sound, and what products will get me there.

I also got the impression from reading posts that installing a tuner and a different map could violate the warranty, and I cannot do that yet. Or is it only a warranty violation if the cam is changed? Any clarification on that point would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Thanks to many of you, I will be purchasing a lift kit, tour pak move and clutchwiz. And LED lights in front and rear...it will probably never quite end, but it is a great deal of fun.

Thanks to any and all replies in advance, I really appreciate any feedback.

Ride Safe!!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

You only want loud? Run straight pipes. Guys have been doing that for years.

My HD dealer doesn't void your warranty even if you have upgraded cams. It depends on the dealer in most cases. Most *will* void it if they see a trailer hitch on your rig.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Fulsac and recore what you got and buy their header pipe. It will sound better and loose a lot of the heat. Just tell them what you want to do.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuel Moto is a wise choice. Great customer service and quality products for the price.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
BigBill1
Cruiser

I use Rush Big Louies. Louder than stock but not super loud. Power Vision is a good choice

Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to get alot of replys with what brand of mufflers to go with on this topic. Best thing you can do is go with what you like. Next time your out and hear a H-D Touring bike with the sound you are looking for just ask that owner what he or she is running. I am certain any owner will be more than happy to talk to you about their bike.

Another way to go is YouTube, what youtube, Yes. You will find alot of sound clips of Harley's with different pipes on them. Just remember. You have a Harley with a Cat, that Cat will make the mufflers sound just a little differnt than one without a Cat. Best thing, get that Cat off or knocked out...

With all that being said, iam more than happy with my FuelMoto 4" Mufflers and Fuelsac header pipe. Hope this gives you some ideas.......

Last edited by bootshd; 11-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

You can also go with a modified muffler from http://www.americancustom.com/products/slip-on-mufflers.
They take out the insides, & put a removable baffle in that can be run open, or tuned by different baffles. Much less expensive. Also consider going with an Autotune with the Vision. It will do all your tuning for you if you are prone to change the exhaust pressures a lot.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master

I have the FullSac head pipe, instead of the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, they sent me the S&S Bigger Air Cleaner. I wanted quiet and at the time needed to cut come cost. So, I bought from FullSac a set of HD cans with their 1.75" baffle. I have now a good 500 miles on them and they have lost a little of the raspy sound as first fired up. I don't know if they will lose it all as they burn out more. But I spend some time with another TG with Vance and Hines Twin Slash Oval mufflers. They sounded loud to me while running next to the garage, but on the road, they are not that loud. They have that good HD sound and so not get annoying at interestate speeds. I didn't even need my ear plugs. If you want louder than stock with a deep rumble, then these are they ones to go with. I'm saving up for mine. And I have the Mastertune TTS2, trike runs great now and no heat at all unless stopped in traffic but it goes away very quickly.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:01 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Riffdog
I also got the impression from reading posts that installing a tuner and a different map could violate the warranty, and I cannot do that yet. Or is it only a warranty violation if the cam is changed? Any clarification on that point would be greatly appreciated.
Warranty is a sticky topic with both Harley Davidson and some dealers. Your dealer may not have an issue with you swapping out the head pipe and tuning your trike with whatever tuner you select, but Harley Davidson will. As long as you can take your trike to your dealer and they can warranty something without Harley sending a rep you would be fine. Let something require the blessing of a Harley rep and let the rep find a different head pipe and a tuner the crap will hit the fan.

Another thing folks don't consider is when they travel. Their dealer may warranty all kinds of modifications to the tune, the engine, the exhaust etc. Now have a break down 1,000 miles from your dealer and bump into a dealer who does everything by the book, your going to have an issue. This dealer may not cover whatever is broken and while they are at it they very well could let Harley know the vin number and modifications so it can be flagged in their system. If you get flagged in their system it follows that trike where ever it may go. Anytime a dealer would look your trike up they would find the flag on the power train warranty.

Myself I've always been kind of a rebel and figure the warranty is written is nice but I'll survive without it so I change what I want with not worries. I've been lucky and never had any issues where changes I made come into play. Now my dad however had a change come into play. To make a real long story short, the service manager at the dealer we used to do business with told a Harley rep we changed his cams. The rep refused to look at the trike and flagged his power train warranty.