Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New TriGlide - getting headsets to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TriGlide - getting headsets to work

New TriGlide owner hear. Trying to get new headsets to work. These are HD units bought at time of trike purchase, wife and I. Read the manual - no help.

Here's what I did. Set radio to intercom on, made sure CB function is off. Neither one of us can hear each other. Tried using PTT or just talking, which I understand should work. Volume levels are correct. All headset connections seem fine. Played with speaker switch in different positions - nothing.

What am I missing?

Thank you

Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Da-mack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have 2 sets of volumes for the radio and headsets. First get into the intercom mode. This is where you turn the intercom function on/off. Stay in this mode. Each of you can then adjust your intercom volume there (front/rear). Driver adjustment is on the handlebar and passenger is on the trunk.

You can also adjust the Vox sensitivity there by pressing the appropriate soft keys for it over on the right side of the stereo display. You will have to play with the vox a bit if you have open face helmets. The wind will be an issue.

Once the intercom volume is set for both of you, you can then go back into the stereo mode and again you both have your own separate volumes for that as well.

Make sure that the "speaker" switch on the dash is pushed all the way in at the top.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Da-mack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vox system will automatically switch you inter the "talk" mode with the sund of your voice. That is why if you have open face helmets, the wind may trip this and you'll have to trim it down with the setting the intercom mode.

You can always override the vox by pressing the PTT button.

We just bought ourselves a set of headsets for our anniversary.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio49
New TriGlide owner hear. Trying to get new headsets to work. These are HD units bought at time of trike purchase, wife and I. Read the manual - no help.

Here's what I did. Set radio to intercom on, made sure CB function is off. Neither one of us can hear each other. Tried using PTT or just talking, which I understand should work. Volume levels are correct. All headset connections seem fine. Played with speaker switch in different positions - nothing.

What am I missing?

Thank you
If you can hear your radio then everything else should work also. Check your VOX level. Set it lower. That is the control for the level of audio it takes to break the squelch. Also make sure the cables are pushed in firmly on each end....

Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the quick response. You'll get a kick out of this dumb *** move on my part - as I was testing the unit all I was saying was test, test - which apparently wasn't quite enough to open the vox channel. After reading these posts and double checking my settings I got the wife out there and started talking and it was working

Another question - the voice activated lag before the vox kicks in is annoying. Anything I need to do there?

Again Thanks for all the help

Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio49
Thanks to all for the quick response. You'll get a kick out of this dumb *** move on my part - as I was testing the unit all I was saying was test, test - which apparently wasn't quite enough to open the vox channel. After reading these posts and double checking my settings I got the wife out there and started talking and it was working

Another question - the voice activated lag before the vox kicks in is annoying. Anything I need to do there?

Again Thanks for all the help
The lag of the VOX is going to lessen with a lower setting, but you willfind you need it set differently when the bike is running and wind is blowing around the mike. You will get used to most of the lag as you use the intercom more. After a while you will find the right setting. I have a habit of blowing on the mike, or making a noise around the mike before saying anything. Lots of ways.... You'll find one for you.
Ride Safe !

Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 PM
rwhgme
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We cup our hands over the mike and use a stream of solid, clear conversation. Projecting your voice works best for us.