Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

6500 mile Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6500 mile Road Trip

I just finished a 6500 mile road trip to Texas by way of North Carolina. It was a great trip but did have a few problems. I was in Minnesota and my TomTom went blank. I pulled into a parking lot, shut the trike down, and figured out my problem with the TomTom. I fired up the trike and it would not go above idle. I shut it of and started it again and still would not go above an idle. Lucky for me, I only had to idle three blocks to my destination. Let the bike sit for a couple hours and it fired back up and everything was normal. Next problem was a couple of days later after filling with gas, two miles down the road, the speedometer quit working which took out the cruise control and mileage meters. I rode about twenty miles and shut the bike down, upon restarting everything worked again. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...electrics always drive me nuts....

...i have not had this problem.......

...but if i did....here is what i would do..

....while in your garage...disconnect and clean your battery terminals

........use a battery wire brush on the posts and the connecting wire.

...then reassemble it....

...go in your house have a beer or so...

...and the next day...start up...and see what happens..

..this may sound a little strange......

.....try it and see

.good luck

Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dw2169
I just finished a 6500 mile road trip to Texas by way of North Carolina. It was a great trip but did have a few problems. I was in Minnesota and my TomTom went blank. I pulled into a parking lot, shut the trike down, and figured out my problem with the TomTom. I fired up the trike and it would not go above idle. I shut it of and started it again and still would not go above an idle. Lucky for me, I only had to idle three blocks to my destination. Let the bike sit for a couple hours and it fired back up and everything was normal. Next problem was a couple of days later after filling with gas, two miles down the road, the speedometer quit working which took out the cruise control and mileage meters. I rode about twenty miles and shut the bike down, upon restarting everything worked again. Has anyone else experienced these problems?
When my dad and I went to the New England states I had a strange happening. After a gas stop I noticed the XM radio from my Zumo 550 had quit, 1st thought I might need to cycle the power on the GPS because its little brain gets scrambled at times. Once I hit the freeway I went to engage the cruise so I could work on the GPS and found I had no cruise. I then started looking around and found I had lost power to my Aux, my stereo, my cruise control, plus the turn signals and the brake lights.

I pulled off into a rest area and shut it down to check fuses, for grins I pulled the 40 amp Maxi fuse and put it back. I turned on the ignition and everything was back. Never did figure out what the cause was, never will because I don't own it anymore.