Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Question about installing a backrest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
rak1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about installing a backrest.

I just want to thank everyone on giving me the information on which backrest to install on my 2012 trike but I have one more question. After the installation how easy will it be for me to get on and off the bike and will it get in the way with my wife getting on? I guess my question is how much will it be in the way…. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no problem getting on or off. My wife gets on and off good also. At first it was a little tight for her in the seat, not huge but healthy so I added Dennis Swan tour pack relocator. Now all is fine . http://www.tglidestuff.com/TourBoxLift.html Dennis is a great person and makes quality products.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:37 PM
rak1
Tourer

Originally Posted by sprinkman
I have no problem getting on or off. My wife gets on and off good also. At first it was a little tight for her in the seat, not huge but healthy so I added Dennis Swan tour pack relocator. Now all is fine . http://www.tglidestuff.com/TourBoxLift.html Dennis is a great person and makes quality products.
Cool, and thank you for the link.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a backrest on my trike and I'm short, only 5'2. It was a little different getting on at first, I had to swing my leg higher to clear the backrest, or bend at the knee to get my foot over the seat. However, with some practice you'll find the easiest way to get off and on.

I don't think your wife will have much trouble getting off and on either, since she will have the foot boards to use for an added lift.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM
mmuth1
Intermediate

No problems for passeners...

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I have a riders backrest, most of the time I step up on the passenger floorboard to get on the bike, never notices the backrest getting in the way.

Wife never has any issues either...sometimes she does fold the backrest forward when dismounting.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
rak1
Tourer

I went with the HD adjustable mount and backrest. I just finished installing it but haven't gone for a ride yet; it took longer than I was expecting, and the instructions sucked! (every single diagram or picture they told you to look at was on a different page than the instructions you were following, and what's with starting out with picture 5??!!) Me and the wife got on and off a few times and we think it will work out great!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I have a riders backrest, most of the time I step up on the passenger floorboard to get on the bike, never notices the backrest getting in the way.

Wife never has any issues either...sometimes she does fold the backrest forward when dismounting.
What brand of back rest do you have that folds forward??

Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
What brand of back rest do you have that folds forward??
It's a HD brand backrest. For some reason it has been discontinued.

The angle is adjustable with an allen wrench, and it will push all the way forward into the riders seat, and just spring back when you let go.

I like it because it is more comfortable for my back than any of the current models, Plus it has a pocket in the back of it that the wife uses as a purse..., she usually has chap stick, bottle of water (or 2), beef jerky, and who knows what else in there. lol

I had to get the last two I purchased on ebay.

Here's a pic of the back-

Here's the front-

Here's a link to one on ebay right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...3ae755&vxp=mtr

I have tried 4 or 5 other backrests, including a Mustang, none of them come close to being as comfortable for me, or as convenient for Mary.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the HD 54099-10 mounting kit and HD 52423-09A back rest. It folds forward for easy passenger mount and dismount. Bought them in December. Also bought the Bone Mountain cover for it that has pocket etc. It slips over it and matches perfectly.

Last edited by 5x40; 02-18-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about installing a backrest.