Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Mt. Washington Auto Road

Old 02-15-2013, 01:24 PM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Mt. Washington Auto Road

Looks like the wife and I are going to do the Mt Washington auto road this spring. We have done it before with our Ultra but was just wondering if anyone has done it on their Tri-Glide ?

I know that the Auto Road has some limitations on certain model cars and trucks but I did'nt see anything on their web-site about Trikes.......

Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be no problem with riding your Trike up the road.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the auto road during the Laconia bike week last year on the trike. I've done it many times on 2 wheels but the trike was a unique experience. Stay in your own lane and keep some road under the right rear tire and you'll be fine. There are plenty of pull offs on the way up to take pics and let the bike cool off. There are no guard rails while going up. The road can be bumpy in spots. Make sure you fuel up before you get to the auto road, I fill up in North Conway. There is a gas pump at the entrance to the auto road but it's only 87 octane and you will notice the ping monster with that.

I will say that it was a pretty hairy experience as I was still getting used to the trike. There were a couple of oh oh moments when meeting oncoming bike traffic. I would imagine with cars and SUVs coming at you, you will have a trip to remember.

Heck, I'm getting ready for the Dragon this year. Enjoy.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We will be doing Mt. Washington on bike day, so the only cars on the road should be the Mt. Washington tour vans.......

If they are calling for bad weather on bike day we will hit it either before or after.........

The last time we did the Auto Road it was 71 and mostly sunny at the bottom and 34 and windy at the top.

Last edited by bootshd; 02-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

A few years ago we did the van ride up the mountain, was sunny and 80 at the bottom. Within about 15 minutes of reaching the top it got dark, the wind started blowing and then a nasty hail and rain storm hit. They end up not allowing any bikes to go up or come down for a little while. Call me chicken but I'd rather ride the van and leave the bike below.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Going up should be good. But going down is a whole nuther issue. Make sure that your brakes are in good shape, leave it in a lower gear, and take plenty of stops to cool things down a bit. Also, the weather can be very unpredictable up there. Even if it looks like a nice day at the base, carry at least a jacket.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM
STG246
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
Going up should be good. But going down is a whole nuther issue. Make sure that your brakes are in good shape, leave it in a lower gear, and take plenty of stops to cool things down a bit. Also, the weather can be very unpredictable up there. Even if it looks like a nice day at the base, carry at least a jacket.

Yup, I've been up a few times, always colder up there, went up on my bike one year, it was 92* at the base, 37* at the top...