Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Reverse Motor Died

Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Angry Reverse Motor Died

3-day trip to Baker City, Oregon...left on Friday 6/7. Noticed on the way there that my reverse wasn't working...all I got was "click, click, click". Called the HD dealer in Boise just before closing time...service mgr said "do not touch the reverse switch". Made rest of the weekend doing "ten toes reverse" (lol). Tri-Glide will be picked up Tuesday.

Wasn't there a thread on this about the reserve motor not working? Too tired to look for it.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Did you try resetting the breaker located behind the right side panel? I haven't had it happen on my 2011 FLHXXX yet, but on my 2009 Tri-Glide I had to reset te breaker probably ten times (usually after trying to back up an incline or two).

Bubba

Old 06-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Forget my comment above, I didn't pay attention to your avatar. You've got the saddle bag to remove before you can even reach the breaker. Anyway, every time my 09 TG clicked like that, it turned out to be the breaker tripped.

Bubba

Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 PM
sascho
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Same issue on reverse motor

I have the same Ride as you #993/1450 and I used my reverse motor once and now it just clicks. I work in Russia but when I get home I will check the breaker. Have you been to the dealer yet and once you get yours resolved let me know.

P.s where did you get the cool seat covers???

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sascho
I have the same Ride as you #993/1450 and I used my reverse motor once and now it just clicks. I work in Russia but when I get home I will check the breaker. Have you been to the dealer yet and once you get yours resolved let me know.

P.s where did you get the cool seat covers???

It was the relay switch...push the "red button" in on the right side of trike...flip the flag-like black square from left to right. I painted the square with silver sparkle fingernail polish. Took the dealer 5 seconds. Why couldn't the service mgr tell me that on the phone that Friday afternoon?

The sheepskin seat cover is from Kuryakyn...bought in 2009. HD dealer can order from Mustang...get the 3-set pkg (seat cover, backrest and passenger back rest). I bought the set, but like my Kury seat cover. The sheepskin covers on the grab rails are seat belt covers ($2.50 ea at Family Dollar).

Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

The breaker is an ongoing problem on some trikes. Some can back up a steep driveway, & others have problems backing up into their garage.
If backing up a slope, be sure to start off the slope so the slope & starting current doesn't hit the breaker at the same time.
Harley refers to it as a "back-up assist"..........

Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM
sascho
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks a bunch

Appreciate the quick responses when I get home in a couple of weeks I will reread this post and get my reverse issue hopefully resolved. Thought Oh Man what a bummer warranty work and its brand new.......
Thanks a bunch for the info.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do believe that while backing up if you have your finger on the reverse button and hit the brakes you will probably trip the breaker.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also helps to run @ 2k rpm or so to help voltage levels stay up.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old thread but remember to take off the parking brake before using reverse. You will trip the breaker switch. Fortunately I read my owners manual from cover to cover and figured out where the breaker switch was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse Motor Died