Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Proper Tie Down for Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Tie Down for Trike?

Bought an enclosed trailer for Trike. Will use Wheeldock chock. Where do I attach front tie downs to Trike? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

You may want to install "D Rings" in the floor. Two in front of the chock and two behind the bike. These can be picked up at a trailer supply or any hardware store.

Run bolts through the floor and use a metal plate or heavy fender washer under the trailer. Wood screws will pull out of the floor.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 AM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your chock but you may not need front tie downs at all. I use the LA Chock from Baxley Trailer Co. and the way it captures the front wheel I could probably get by with no tie downs at all. Just to be safe I do use rear tie downs hooked to the passenger foot board mounts and angle them forward to D rings for insurance. I know a lot of guys say don't use the mounts but I don't put a large amount of pressure on them and have no problems.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my question. What I'm looking for is where to put tie downs on the front of the trike. I've always looped around handlebars on bikes but now read that this is not good. So, how do I do it on trike? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

With the trike, you don't have to worry about it falling over. Tie the front on the bars just snug to hold it; the rear has mounts on the frame for tie downs. Look under the trike near the shock mounts and you will see them. You can really ratchet these tight if you need to.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfndr
Thanks. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my question. What I'm looking for is where to put tie downs on the front of the trike. I've always looped around handlebars on bikes but now read that this is not good. So, how do I do it on trike? Thanks.
Last time the dealer had to pick up my trike with a trailer they used straps around the crash bars to attach straps and cinched it down tight.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

For the front tire, I run a strap through the front wheel & to the floor. Short strap !
Then tie the rear down using the chain links that are welded on the frame just lower of the shock mounts & cross them. don;t pull real hard, as you will be putting tension on the front wheel also.
The other way would be using the padded straps from Harley around the lower forks & to the floor (forward).
Like Wiz says, be sure to use "D rings" & back up under the floor !! I use the heavy ones from HF. They are cheap ! 3/8" bolts.....

Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Hay dondee............ What did you find as an accurate setting for the speedo on your PV? Been playin....

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

This works for trike and two wheel bikes.
1st, buy a set of "soft straps". these straps have a loop at each end, you feed them over the bottom tree of the front end, loop through each other and use the extended loop to attach the hook from the tie down strap. Alway use the tripple trees for attaching the tie down. Never the handlebars ( can slip off or bend the bars). I also would not use the engine guards for attaching the straps.

2nd, have some flush mount ancors installed in the floor of the trailer with backing plates under the trailer floor. Mount these ancors just slightly forward of the the front axle of the motorcycle. This will pull the bike into the wheel chock and secure it safely.

3rd, mount two more flush ancors towards the rear of the trailer. Use these if necessary or if it makes you feel more secure to ancor the rear of the motorcycle/trike. I would use the shipping mounts of the TG to attach the hook of the tie downs, look under the trike and you'll see the mounts I'm talking about. I would attach the strap to the right side of the trike and the left ancor, tighten slightly to keep the trike from shifting to the side, do the same for the left side of the trike. The straps will make a "X"..keeping it secure.
I would not do this for a two wheel bike, doesn't need it, in my opinion.

Check the trike/bike after a few miles and at fuel stops...after checking a few times and finding that the motorcycle has not moved, you will be good to go unless something upsets the trailer while inroute ( large bump, running off roadway etc.)

Hope this makes sense to all....

Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Oh, if you do not have a wheel chock that locks the front wheel ( just the brace type) leave the side stand down, attach the soft straps and then the tie downs..BUT do not tighten the straps yet.
Start with the left side ( with side stand) take the slack out of the strap but do not compress the front forks, move to the right side and pull the handle bar towards you and at the same time tighten the tie down, move back to the left and tighten the strap, check the right side and tighten if necessary. LEAVE the side stand down...it won't hurt a thing and greatly assist in removing the tiw downs when you get to where you're going.

Removing the bike.
start on the right side, let some of the strap loose but not all of it, go to the left side and let off a little of the tention of the strap, back to the right side and let all the tention of the strap, the bike will come to rest on the side stand, remove the left strap...slow and easy.....

works for me

Quick Reply: Proper Tie Down for Trike?