Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New Tri-Glide Owner With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Tri-Glide Owner With Questions

Just got our 2013 Tri-Glide and was wondering about a Stage 1 on it. How much of a difference am I looking at putting on some pipes with this versus my old 08 Ultra? I am pretty limited on what I can do (I am on kidney dialysis) so is this a pretty extensive job?

Also I have a J&S jack, which won't work on this Tri-Glide (of course..), so any suggestions on how to jack up the trike for cleaning and general maintenance? The trike version J&S is fairly expensive so that will be awhile. Thanks for any help!

Rax

Old 07-21-2013, 01:10 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

You will probably have better luck with responses on the Tri Glide sub forum

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-models-151/

Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior

OOPS..thanks for the headsup. Will repost in TG section

Rax

Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Stage 1 mods on your trike will probably be the same as for a solo and your jack will lift the front up when you need to. There is plenty of info on doing a stage 1 in here, although IMHO much of it isn't as helpful as it can be! With the EPA restrictions on current Harleys I think I would be looking at going beyond a stage 1, by adding cams as well, plus a tuner - to solve the emissions problems and give it some extra zip!

Last edited by grbrown; 07-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior

Just did about a 120 mi day today. Man! Does my right leg get HOT!! Definitely need to cool this puppy down.

About Cams: What exactly does this do for the trike? What cam we talking about? Also what kind of money will it take to do this?

Rax

Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Stage 1 mods on your trike will probably be the same as for a solo and your jack will lift the front up when you need to. There is plenty of info on doing a stage 1 in here, although IMHO much of it isn't as helpful as it can be! With the EPA restrictions on current Harleys I think I would be looking at going beyond a stage 1, by adding cams as well, plus a tuner - to solve the emissions problems and give it some extra zip!
Got a question about your response. Specifically, what did you mean by "your jack will lift the front up when you need to?" You do realize that when you do that the pipes will be on the ground if you lift too much? TG and SG trikes have very little ground clearance between the pipes and the pavement, unless a lift kit has been installed. TG and SG trikes drag pipes on speed bumps and when being taken off of trailers with inclined ramps.

Bubba

Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus
Just got our 2013 Tri-Glide and was wondering about a Stage 1 on it. How much of a difference am I looking at putting on some pipes with this versus my old 08 Ultra? I am pretty limited on what I can do (I am on kidney dialysis) so is this a pretty extensive job?

Also I have a J&S jack, which won't work on this Tri-Glide (of course..), so any suggestions on how to jack up the trike for cleaning and general maintenance? The trike version J&S is fairly expensive so that will be awhile. Thanks for any help!

Rax
I use car ramps. I have a 7ftx12ft old rug I have down on the floor that won't let the ramps slide around while I drive up on them in the rear. I also have another ramp I can put under the front wheel if needed. But I use a bike jack to lift the front up to put the front ramp under. All headed the same direction so I can just back down off all three at once.
This works for getting under the trike without having anything in the way. I am building a lift for the trike, but it isn't finished. The ramps raise the trike up to a level I can set on a roll-around work stool (short) & reach everything with ease.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rax
If you don't have a proper Tri Glide Lift them most of us are using 3 Car Ramps all sitting on either 1 rug or 3 bathroom rugs so the ramps don't slip while you are pulling up onto them. It's a little nervie the first time you do this. We then work on the bike by scootering around on a shop stool.

As far as the mods you're speaking of, yes they are going to be pricey. You can start out with just changing he mufflers and you won't have to reprogram the EFI. Once you change the Air Cleaner then you will have to get some kind of tuner. If you really want to cut down on the right side heat then your next mod would be to change out the headers. The last mod would be changing the CAM. For a trike most owners have been going with a Torque CAM.

Sorry to hear you're on dialysis. Hope everything works out down the line.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Kuryakin Perfect Storm kit on my '12 TG. Headers and mufflers are sourced from Vance & Hines. You also get the upgraded air cleaner and a TT MasterTune set-up. It saves you a couple hundred bucks on buying the stuff separately, and makes a HUGE difference in performance and the heat issue.

After that mod, I got the shock lifts and TourPac relocator rails from tglidestuff.com I would strongly recommend these mods/upgrades to ALL TG owners. The sooner you make these mods, the happier you'll be.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Just did about a 120 mi day today. Man! Does my right leg get HOT!! Definitely need to cool this puppy down.

About Cams: What exactly does this do for the trike? What cam we talking about? Also what kind of money will it take to do this?

Rax
Your Harley has had a lot of things done to it so it can meet EPA regulations (same applies all around the World). That includes being very quiet, as well as running lean, which is why it is so hot. The stock cams are a compromise, designed to help keep noise down, as well as contributing towards emissions control. EPA regulations are tested at fairly low road speeds, which means the bike is most badly affected at those road speeds.

So changing the air filter and exhaust, as well as cams, will remove the bulk of the EPA stuff and make the bike noisier, but will cure the heat and with a tuner plus cams give improved performance. The tuner will allow better ignition timing and fuelling settings to be used. For a trike the most suitable cam may be different to a solo and the chaps in here can probably give a good recommendation.

IMHO our new bikes are so badly compromised by EPA regulations that a 'stage 1' really should include new cams these days.

Quick Reply: New Tri-Glide Owner With Questions