Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Very strong fuel odor coming from trike

Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM
USMC_Vet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very strong fuel odor coming from trike

After my wife rides her trike our garage smells like fuel. I can't find any visible fuel leaks but there is very strong fuel odor coming from her trike. The odor is so strong that it smells like I poured fuel on the ground. Anyone ever experience this?? 2010 Street Glide Trike.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_Vet
After my wife rides her trike our garage smells like fuel. I can't find any visible fuel leaks but there is very strong fuel odor coming from her trike. The odor is so strong that it smells like I poured fuel on the ground. Anyone ever experience this?? 2010 Street Glide Trike.
The ECM riches the fuel mix for starting, & warm up period. This might be set to high, or to long.
We don't know what if any mods or tuners you might have installed.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,515 Likes on 3,772 Posts

Takes two drops of fuel to smell up a garage. Unless you have a CA model, there is no carbon canster and you will smell a faint whiff of fuel on a hot shutdown simply from the last injector fire at shutdown. However,you should not smell what you describe. Has it been worked on lately? Not sure why but mechanics tend to forget to reattach the vent hose. You need to lift up the dash cluster to get to it at the front top of the tank. You can probably check by lightly pulling on it at the steering head at the front forks coming down. It looks like a wire since most are more like a fuel resistance plastic then a black rubber hose. When I got my bike, it was off and did the same thing. Start simple. It is also easy to damage the o-ring on the quick disconnect at the outlet.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing IF it's hot out. You can hear the fuel boil in the tank from heat soak off the engine. Open the gas cap and see how much pressure is in it. It's venting out the tube behind the trans.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

I read that wrong! I thought it said ride out of the garage. My bad..........

Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM
USMC_Vet
Cruiser

Thank you for the responses. I purchased the bike used. It had the cat removed and some slip-ons installed. However, I honestly don't know what was done to the ECM? Besides replacing a tranny cover seal, no other work has been done on it. We only notice the smell after she rides the trike when it's hot out. We live in Az. However, my Street Glide gets hot but it doesn't reek of fuel like her trike does.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
USMC_Vet
Cruiser

Piggi, my wife just told me she heard a "spurting" noise when she was sitting at lights. She said the oil temp gauge was at 265ish.

Last edited by USMC_Vet; 09-25-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_Vet
Piggi, my wife just told me she heard a "spurting" noise when she was sitting at lights. She said the oil temp gauge was at 265ish.
The gurgle I hear is after I shut it down from heat soak. And I'm in Az too.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM
USMC_Vet
Cruiser

Ok, thanks. I am going to take her trike out
right now and see if the fuel is doing as you describe.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2013 TG does the same thing.....when it's hot out and pull in garage after a day's ride, garage and kitchen spell like I'm in the middle of a gas tank...no after-smell if weather cooler..wonder why that is?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very strong fuel odor coming from trike