Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

tri glide heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 AM
papa bigdog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tri glide heat

I see a lot of gripes about tri glide heat I live in nh and except this year the summers rarely get higher than 90 -95 will be picking up left over 13 tri glide but starting to worry about the heat issues anyone have any ideas if I will have these problems in nh

Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by papa bigdog
I see a lot of gripes about tri glide heat I live in nh and except this year the summers rarely get higher than 90 -95 will be picking up left over 13 tri glide but starting to worry about the heat issues anyone have any ideas if I will have these problems in nh
Remove the cat converter!

Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

There are several heat areas which you may or may not feel.

Motor heat
Exhaust heat
Rider heat

Although we all live in different climate areas of the country there are some that seem to have more issues than others.

Barbara is correct and removing the cat out of the headpipe seems to the most common modification but let's wait and see how your new 13 pans out and go from there.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM
UTES
Intermediate

I bought a catless header on eBay and installed it myself. I did not expect such a significant change. The bike runs much cooler (cylinder deactivation no longer kicks in) and the bike sounds so much better I've decided not to upgrade the exhaust.

Bill

Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to suggest installing an oil temp gauge in the fairing in place of the air temp gauge. I was always more concerned about the motor temp over the human comfort.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Papa,

I may be a rare bird but other than the Cat I can 't tell that they are much hotter than my previous bikes. I replaced my head pipe and mufflers with a Fullsac X-Pipe and SE mufflers.

I have had one Yamaha Stratoliner, two Goldwings (2002 & 2008) and three Harleys in the last ten years (2010 Ultra, 2011 Limited & 2013 Tri Glide). Wow, I got it bad...

When in stop and go traffic I couldn't tell much difference in any of the bikes, even the Goldwings.

Ride it and enjoy..

Rick

Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
mack386
2nd Gear

Have a 13 tri glide and have had same issues as most of you bike is at dealer now for bottoming out and dragging mufflers. brakes at 1600 miles , unusual sounds . Did any one have a good dealer ? Mine treated me like a dick !! Had to call Harley , real easy question " If I install DK bracket what happens to my warranty not one person would tell me at Dealer .After I called HD now they tell me not to worry , call me and ask if I would bring bike in and bring the DK,s with me ,will install for me . General manager had told me my "Driveway was at fault and not bike " HD said had no idea bike bottomed out. Any one else call HD

Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I've mentioned this before. You don't even have the trike yet and you are worried about "THE HEAT ISSUE". Wife and I have been on Harleys for 30+ years. Our trikes aren't any hotter than the Ultra or her Deluxe we had before the trikes... or the Softails or Dynas we had before them. People have mentioned on these boards about wrapping their legs around the tank for better cornering, that puts your calves too close to the engine. We put floorboard extenders on the last 6 harleys we have owned, that moves your legs away from the engine and exhaust. Cost under a hundred bucks. IF you decide to remove the cat, KEEP IT, resale or trade in could be a problem without it.

Good Luck

Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm with Wizard, ride it before you decide if it needs any modifications.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
I've mentioned this before. You don't even have the trike yet and you are worried about "THE HEAT ISSUE". Wife and I have been on Harleys for 30+ years. Our trikes aren't any hotter than the Ultra or her Deluxe we had before the trikes... or the Softails or Dynas we had before them. People have mentioned on these boards about wrapping their legs around the tank for better cornering, that puts your calves too close to the engine. We put floorboard extenders on the last 6 harleys we have owned, that moves your legs away from the engine and exhaust. Cost under a hundred bucks. IF you decide to remove the cat, KEEP IT, resale or trade in could be a problem without it.

Good Luck
I got to agree with screwball. We have a 2010TG w40K miles & a 2012TG w/30K miles on them with the cat still in the head pipes on both & we ride all year (including summer) here in the Phx. Az. area .Not really much hotter than any of my previous 2- wheelers.
Either we're just lucky or immune to the heat???

Quick Reply: tri glide heat